PDA

View Full Version : Taxi across closed runway

Treeclipper
27th Oct 2016, 16:30
Hi All,

I have a question regarding taxi procedures and closed runways.

At our airport we have parallel runways with only one taxiway connecting them with the apron.

Now there was Notam that the runway between the apron and the active runway was closed, for unspecified reasons.

Now the question is, are we allowed to taxi onto a closed runway to cross it to taxi to the active runway (as long as the NOTAM is active)? There is no ATC to give a clearance.

In my opinion it is not, as you leave to taxiway to go onto a closed runway, but airport management does not agree.

I love to be proved wrong, but they could not provide evidence of their case. I can't either.
So the second question is, what ICAO or EASA document could provide a clarification of the subject.

I would love to hear your opinions

Cheers,
R

KriVa
27th Oct 2016, 17:14
One thing I am wondering about, what exactly do you mean with:
There is no ATC to give a clearance.

Are we talking about an uncontrolled aerodrome, a controlled aerodrome without ground control, or something completely different? Depending on the answer to that question, I could see quite a few different scenarios here.

In any case, ICAO 4444 (PANS-ATM), ICAO Annex 2, and SERA (Standardised European Rules of the Air) might be a good place to start your search.

To top it all off: I think you'll have more success with this thread in ATC Issues.

Musket90
27th Oct 2016, 18:28
If a Notam has been published closing a runway it means it can't be used for take-offs or landings, but it doesn't mean that a portion of it can't be used for taxi to/from another open runway. For example a runway may be closed for maintenance but the location of the maintenance may be limited to only a small section of the runway therefore allowing
part of it to remain open for taxi aircraft.

Intruder
27th Oct 2016, 21:37
If the airport is controlled, there is no issue, because ATC will issue the clearance.

At an uncontrolled airport, you may not know the entirety of the reason why a runway is closed. Without a specific NOTAM that says [part of] it is open for taxi, consider it closed for all operations.

HOWEVER, if you are simply crossing the section of the runway between 2 sections of an open taxiway, there is usually no reason you cannot CROSS the runway.

Runway 11/29 at KPAE has been closed for several years. The only way to get to the approach end of Rwy 34L is to cross 11/29. KPAE has a part-time tower. When the tower is open, they give explicit clearance to cross Rwy 11/29. When the tower is closed, we consider 11/29 open for crossing on taxiway A.

FAA AIM 2-3-6:e. Temporarily Closed Runways and Taxiways.
To provide a visual indication to pilots that a runway is temporarily closed, crosses are placed on the runway only at each end of the runway. The crosses are yellow in color. (See FIG 2−3−22.)
1. A raised lighted yellow cross may be placed on each runway end in lieu of the markings described in subparagraph e,Temporarily Closed Runways and Taxiways, to indicate the runway is closed.
2. A visual indication may not be present depending on the reason for the closure, duration of the closure, airfield configuration and the existence and the hours of operation of an airport traffic control tower. Pilots should check NOTAMs and the Automated Terminal Information System (ATIS) for local runway and taxiway closure information.
3. Temporarily closed taxiways are usually treated as hazardous areas, in which no part of an aircraft may enter, and are blocked with barricades. However, as an alternative a yellow cross may be installed at each entrance to the taxiway.

Treeclipper
27th Oct 2016, 21:46
That was exactly my line of thinking.
It is an uncontrolled airfield, and not specified in the NOTAM why, or which part of, the runway is closed. So no way of knowing the full extend of the reason for the closure.

underfire
28th Oct 2016, 03:04
Now there was Notam that the runway between the apron and the active runway was closed, for unspecified reasons

Difficult to tell from your explanation if the taxiway you want to use is included. There must be someone to contact to sort this out. Perhaps if you post the actual airport, posters here could provide details.

Intruder
28th Oct 2016, 21:31
The OP apparently already contacted someone:
but airport management does not agree.