PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Scanning techniques

Babi Melayu
1st Jul 2002, 06:43
Hi

Let's discuss about proven scanning techniques for all different phases of an IFR flight.

Why you do such scans.

I know there are scanning techniques that are methodical, using logic, for each phase of the flight - take off, en-route right down to approach.

Sometimes we just scan the whole six instruments without logic, knowing what to look for... I'd like someone to address this please as it's kinda buggin...

THanks

OzExpat
1st Jul 2002, 08:11
The comprehensive answer to this would look more like that novel "War and Peace" but... I use a radial scan. The way I use it is somewhat dependent on what I'm trying to achieve at the time.

In S+L cruise, my standard scan goes from AI to ASI and back to AI. Then to DI and back to AI - and so on right around the panel. Always a good idea to include engine gauges from time to time as well plus, obviously, your navigation instruments.

For other stages of flight, different instruments tend to assume more importance. I suggest that you think about what you're trying to achieve in a climb or climbing turn, in a level turn, in a descent or descending turn, etc. If you think about that for long enough, it soon becomes obvious as to which instruments will tell you more than others.

There's a logic to it all.