PDA

View Full Version : Industry downturn continues - Heathrow Breaks record

HounslowHarry
1st Jul 2002, 00:22
Heathrow broke it's year old record on Friday 28th June by 4 movements up to 1365.

Whilst movements aren't the whole story, people are working much harder now than they were prior to september 11th.

And to boot morale has continued to fall at most units, due to local reasons as well as to that of privatisation and pay (or lack of it). How do we get out of this hole?

Can they still say that the business in suffering from a downturn?

HH:confused:

250 kts
1st Jul 2002, 09:00
They say we are in this mess because the increase ios in the low cost carriers. I saw figures showing LHR pax figures only 0.2% down in march on last year and no LCCs there.

It appears to me that NATs pricing structure was flawed allowing so much to depend on the Oceanic traffic.

1st Jul 2002, 11:36
As far as traffic is concerned September 11th is now a past event.

I was on Heathrow on Friday morning. Perfect conditions enabled us to peak at a landng rate of 48 and this kept pressure off the system. I wonder how things would have been if there had been a 30kt headwind?

According to the last LCC quarterly bulletin...

In the first quarter of this year there were 23 incidents in TC in which ATC were in some way implicated. Of those, 14 occured on Heathrow and of those, 11 were on the final director. It seems to me to be a fair conclusion that the imbalance of runway capacity and demand through Heathrow is leading to significant pressure and a safety impact. I am told that Heathrow has to hit 96% of its declared runway capacity for every hour of the working day if the airport is to function efficiently. To that end, and without wishing in any way to criticise others who have problems of their own, it would help enormously if this could be remembered when presenting traffic into the southerly stacks.

Point 4

:)

PEAWEE
1st Jul 2002, 14:27
The down turn as they refer to it is due to the decrease in oceanic movements, as this brings in most of the cash. What some people fail to realise is that there has probably been no less traffic wanting to fly, as the european flights take up the slots left by the pond hoppers.

We work harder. The company income decreases. We get shafted on both accounts.:mad: