PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal landing distance 320/321

Speedwinner
24th Jul 2016, 08:51
Hi folks,

Quick one on that: as we often fly really heavy 321 out of far away destinations, do you have some thumb values at which weight we can return to the field of 3000m. I know it depends on the failure but the most critical is double hydraulic failure and the 321 gives there 4500m required. So when to start the approach? Burn it down to max landing weight? In a mayday case? Any values for 320 or 319?

Thanks folks

vilas
24th Jul 2016, 15:44
Speedwinner
Your question is very vague. As you yourself stated it depends on failure how can there be a thumb rule for all cases? All Double Hyd. is May Day. So is ELEC EMER. but LDG DST is not same. When it's all in QRH and you are expected to use the elaborate ECAM+SUMMARY procedures where does the thumb rule fit in?

mcdhu
24th Jul 2016, 19:09
Speedy, I see you are in BHX. It's worth noting that LHR LDAs are all around 3500m and AMS offers the same - ish. Some have additional 'undershoot' values of around 300m if you are pressed. The longest ASDA in the area is LHR09L at 3901m. If in "Mayday' situation, you haven't got time to search around for a suitable RW having extracted your LDR from the QRH - it pays to have an idea of what facilities are on offer at all times.
mcdhu

Speedwinner
25th Jul 2016, 05:12
Thanks man!!!

Speedy, I see you are in BHX. It's worth noting that LHR LDAs are all around 3500m and AMS offers the same - ish. Some have additional 'undershoot' values of around 300m if you are pressed. The longest ASDA in the area is LHR09L at 3901m. If in "Mayday' situation, you haven't got time to search around for a suitable RW having extracted your LDR from the QRH - it pays to have an idea of what facilities are on offer at all times.
mcdhu