PDA

View Full Version : flying floatys

higherpplane
29th Jun 2002, 04:04
I'd love to know if there are any job opportunities flying float planes in Canada in the summer season (2003) for an Aussie.

For that matter any type flying work at all.

I've got a bare CPL at the moment but plan to have a bit of experience by next year and probably a twin and IFR endorsement as well.

Shenlin
8th Jul 2002, 03:53
getting that first float job is tought because the hight insurance requirements. its the old catch 22 . Most guys get there start in flying floats back in ontario flying for some lodge hauling tourists and supplies . Your best bet might be to cruise the net for lodges and fly in fishing charters in ontario canada maybe ? good luck

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2002, 22:33
I think that you will find that you need at least 50 hours on floats to have any real chance of employment.

If you are serious about this, I'd suggest getting experience on the 185 or perhaps the 206. You might try www.cooperair.com/

Good luck!

Chuck Ellsworth
23rd Jul 2002, 23:43
When building time for experience you would be best to rent the cheapest airplane you can find on floats, such as a J3 or Champ.

Insurance companies look at hours on floats, 50 hours on a J3 is still 50 hours float time.

Check outs on bigger airplanes are just that, a check out.

Building that first fifty hours is the secret.

Cat Driver

MLS-12D
24th Jul 2002, 21:05
Chuck,

I agree 100%. I should have been more clear ... I did not mean to suggest that 50 hours of 185 time should be purchased (too expensive), just that some limited time on type would be helpful. Otherwise, floats is floats is floats! :D

MLS-12D:)

P.S. to higherpplane: Here are two more links for you: www.ebushpilot.com/haveyou.htm; www.pilotweb.co.uk/features_story.cfm?id=2801