PDA

View Full Version : CHC S92 ? low oil pressure in Norway

Tango123
10th Jun 2016, 16:27
Nytt CHC-helikopter i trøbbel ? (http://offshore.no/sak/270376_nytt-chc-helikopter-i-trobbel)

Tango123
10th Jun 2016, 16:30
https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/111965/chc-flight-force-land-ula-platform-cockpit-warning/

The Sultan
10th Jun 2016, 17:27
Another boat ride back to shore? If another of a long list of oil pump failures, why has Sikorsky not fixed this since 212Man had to park one in the jungle many years ago?

The Sultan

albatross
10th Jun 2016, 19:37
Where does it say it was an oil pump failure?

SASless
10th Jun 2016, 21:07
Sultan, Do Oil Pumps last forever on a Bell Product, Augusta Product, EC product.....the Osprey:ugh:?

Perhaps you need to stick to what you know best......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

Satcomm
10th Jun 2016, 21:33
Here we go again, another round of speculation and BS.

albatross
10th Jun 2016, 21:43
I think that the 212Man incident was not caused by an oil pump failure. I am sure he will be along to comment. Well handled by him and his crew in any case.
Geeze 212Man you have an incident named after you..perhaps a wall plaque is in order. Hope all is going well with you! LOL

albatross
10th Jun 2016, 21:57
What I find incredible is that now anytime a caution light comes on and the crew follow the check list it becomes a "disaster narrowly averted" news story... if only there was an orphanage, school or hospital they could have narrowly avoided.

SASless
10th Jun 2016, 22:24
Seems like it is only such a Tragedy nearly averted if it involves a Caution Light on a Sikorsky.:E

albatross
10th Jun 2016, 23:38
Humm ...you may be correct there SASless...
Having flown both 225 and 92 I find the ongoing debate tedious and boring. I myself would like to fly a 92 with a 225 outopilot.. that would be just about the perfect offshore machine. Much like the election process in the US of A this ongoing 92/225 debate is not based in reality.
It's OK my mom was US so I can take the odd shot back across the border.LOL

212man
11th Jun 2016, 09:21
I think that the 212Man incident was not caused by an oil pump failure correct, it was almost certainly a scavenge line blockage, although the same symptoms will develop at a slower rate from a pump failure - due to the lack of scavenge from the respective input module. I say "almost certainly" because no debris was found afterwards, and it is assumed it melted in the subsequent 'heating event'.

Satcomm
11th Jun 2016, 13:47
Pretty sure a failed pump will result in high temp very quickly in the 92. That of course, if you do not reduce power to the failed side.

albatross
11th Jun 2016, 14:01
True but was this case in Norway a pump failure?

Satcomm
11th Jun 2016, 14:18
Have no idea of the cause and don't know where the oil pump thing is coming from ... Other then speculation and history.

212man
11th Jun 2016, 14:20
Pretty sure a failed pump will result in high temp very quickly in the 92. That of course, if you do not reduce power to the failed side

All things are relative of course. With the non-return valve installed (following the first pump failure in Norway, and the recognition of the significantly reduced pressure that resulted) - yes the temperature rise is rapid. I know because another of our crew had that happen 4 months after my incident. Though it wasn't as rapid and did not reach the same temperatures we had, partly due to being able to get onto the ground faster (in a chicken farm!). With the non-return valve removed (-104 Pumps) the rise is much slower but you are also faced with much lower pressure. These loss of scavenge events led directly to the vacuum sensor driven MGB Pump FAIL cautions being developed, to assist the crew in getting the throttle back to IDLE before the symptoms really developed.