PDA

View Full Version : Sick forms- ticking the fatigue box...

atco-matic
28th Jun 2002, 00:33
Has anybody ever done a legitimate sickie and given ''fatigue'' as their reason for being off work? I just wandered what managements attitude is/would be to this.

Only reason I ask is cos I frequently find, presumably cos of the ever changing shift pattern, that I am unable to sleep(sometimes for the whole night) before a morning shift. I went sick cos of this once, but didn't put fatigue down as the reason.

Would any of you go sick if you couldn't sleep (I would feel guilty doing it), or would you just muddle through the morning kipping where you could and hope that you don't **** up?

(Edited for stupidity!)

CYVR
28th Jun 2002, 00:41
I heard a guy in enroute put " fatigue " down as his reason for being off sick because he genuinely thought it was the right and honest thing to do. Before the ink could dry he was hauled into the office to explain himself.........and treated like a skiver!!:confused:

Knackers
28th Jun 2002, 03:17
Airservices jumped on this a couple of years ago.

Fatigue, lack of sleep, etc, are no longer acceptable reasons for not attending work. Controllers are required to come in an do non-licenced functions - there aren't any, so you end up sitting around reading papers and watching tv. So people use ather excuses now.

It would have been better for Airservices to accept the real reason and monitor the problem.

Nogbad the Bad
28th Jun 2002, 09:54
I would have no hesitation in puitting down fatigue if I felt unfit for work because of it.

The LAW states that a controller should not work if he/she considers him/herself unfit forduty.

One sniff of being hauled in to the office would :

a) Bring my Union Rep immediately in to action

b) Have me considering legal action against the "manager" concerned.

It's about time people (ie "managers") realised that ATCOs are a PROFESSIONAL body of workers and NOT "skivers".

The trouble is, within this whole industry, that the staff are not treated as professionals by their "management".....it's always been the problem, and always will be the problem (especially within NATS)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mr_Grubby
28th Jun 2002, 10:10
ATCO MATIC.

In 1991 I was diagnosed as having Crohn's disease. Fotunately only very mild. One of the side effects is cronic fatigue. I would regularly 'go sick' and put down fatigue on the form. This caused concern with management. Medical Branch soon picked up on this and pulled my ATCO licence. Eventually they have got round to bining me. For being too tired to attend work ?

Mr Grubby

SensibleATCO
28th Jun 2002, 12:13
Whatever next ??
The trouble is, within this whole industry, that the staff are not treated as professionals by their "management".....it's always been the problem, and always will be the problem (especially within NATS)
It's a pity that some of these professionals do not behave in a professional manner, especially the ones who take the **** with sick leave......we all know who they are.
It's also a pity that certain watch managers allow them to get away with it.
Regards
Sensible

Mr_Grubby
28th Jun 2002, 12:36
Not so Sensible ACTO

With an attitude like that I hope you never get promoted and one day become a manager.

I don't care. I am out of it soon.

But I fear for the the youngsters joining now.

Mr Grubby

SensibleATCO
28th Jun 2002, 13:12
So would I be correct in assuming from your reply that you condone the **** takers who take sick leave when it is not justified :eek: are you one of them ?
Regards
Sensible

Mr_Grubby
28th Jun 2002, 14:55
Sensible.

Did not mean to get you going like that !!
I know what you mean about the **** takers and sick leave.
I have had my fair share of sick leave during the last 32 years
but it was all genuine. That's why I am being medically retired.

Mr Grubby

SensibleATCO
28th Jun 2002, 16:19
Fair enough..................:)

Regards
Sensible

Scott Voigt
28th Jun 2002, 21:40
In the old days, I did give the reason as being too tired for work due to lack of sleep. Didn't happen much, but on occasion. Now we don't have to give a reason due to contract... If they ask, ya just tell them, I don't know what is wrong, I'm not a doctor <G>.

regards

28th Jun 2002, 22:01
On three occasions in 20 years I have been unable to work due lack of sleep. On the first two I called in sick but it didn't sit comfortably with me because I knew it wasn't the truth.

On the third, being still awake at 03:00 having to be up at 05:30 for a D1, I got up and called the night watch manager (my own) and explained things to him. He said he would leave a note for the morning watch to say that I would not be available for work before 10:00. If they found themselves short of staff they should call me at home at a reasonable hour and request my attendance.

I thought that a most reasonable attitude, understanding of life's difficulties and one I would never take advantage of. I got a bit of good natured stick for it but I would do it again if it were necessary.

Point 4

:)