PDA

View Full Version : RPAS eligibility widened

CptDesire
2nd May 2016, 03:20
Age pushed up to 32.5 and education standards lowered, looks like the AFCO are struggling to recruit enough RPAS. Strange, as it seems a very popular choice on a lot of forums (people not meeting the standards perhaps). I wonder if next they'll reduce the aptitude score next!

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/roles/roles-finder/aircrew/remotely-piloted-aircraft-system-rpas-pilot/

Could be the last?
2nd May 2016, 07:49
Is the criteria for Army operators of RPAS the same?

CptDesire
2nd May 2016, 07:54
I have no idea, I know the Artillery have a UAV capability but nothing in terms of RPAS. I'm sure the careers website would have more information.

Pontius Navigator
2nd May 2016, 07:55
The ability to eat quantities of Mars bars washed down with coffee but no toilet breaks?

BEagle
2nd May 2016, 08:28
Perhaps the appeal of 12 years operating drones, togther with rather limited transferable skills of much value in later civilian life, is rather low?

Although smaller drones are used by licensed operators for bona fide civilian work, such as filming in hazardous locations, as yet no-one has begun to operate anything as large as Reaper, Predator etc. for commercial purposes. Despite their statements, the concept of Amazon delivering parcels by drone is some way off - and will never be door-to-door. So what transferable skills would a 45 year old ex-drone operator actually have to offer in a fully civilian later life, beyond those of any other officer?

Whereas if the RAF still trained sufficient pilots with sufficient QFIs, aircraft and aerodromes of its own, releasing a few for tours on drones would be a viable option, just as some pilots used to have tours on the Bloodhound.

But a career which offers only drone operation? Unlikely to hold the same appeal as a traditional flying career, in my opinion, particularly with airline recruiting beginning to pick up again....

Lots of doughnuts though!

CptDesire
2nd May 2016, 09:48
BEagle, I think how drones are being utilised in contemporary ops is appealing to some, for now it's the predominant method of combating IS and even SF ops (what very little I know) revolve around FACs calling in Reaper strikes. For now the persistent targeting and surveillance they provide is the primary focus of the military, even the number of air strikes conducted that the UK government release are predominantly by drones. Granted, there is a big difference between sitting in a cockpit to that of a ground station and the transferable skills as you say are very limited!

BEagle
2nd May 2016, 10:03
CptDesire, I agree that daesh-plinking with drones probably appeals to quite a few people, given that they can see that they're having the intended effect...

But who really wants 12 years of that? A tour operating drones between normal flying tours might be of more appeal though - especially as, unlike Bloodhounds, they do actually fly pretty often.

Avtur
2nd May 2016, 13:56
as yet no-one has begun to operate anything as large as Reaper, Predator etc. for commercial purposes.

Perhaps in 12 years they may well have?

Pontius Navigator
2nd May 2016, 14:37
Avtur, my initiy thought was the possibility of an unmanned wide-body passenger jet, but how about very shorthaul passenger drone, say sector length 100-200 miles offering quiet near city centre hops in minutes not hours. The limitation for really short point to point would be security, but security for say 20 pax should be less a problem.

Avtur
2nd May 2016, 14:50
PN; I guess anything is possible, however I think that the unmanned carriage of live humans is probably further away than 12 years. The USMC were looking at an unmanned personnel recovery systems for casualties or CSAR application, as I doubt that he/she would be too fussed about the mode of transport or even notice. I would however see fishery protections, say doing Tapestries (as I know you were familiar with) or some other littoral maritime operation such as SAR top cover, could be where such a Reaper-esk RPAS could be employed.

Willard Whyte
2nd May 2016, 15:44
The ability to eat quantities of Mars bars washed down with coffee but no toilet breaks?

Well they 'sacked' most of the navs who could easily meet those criteria. And face it, a drone doesn't need piloting - it needs navigating.