PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

g_conaty
26th Jun 2002, 13:53
I thought i heard on this forum that it is possible for a firend or relative of a PPL holder to get a qualification so that they can co-pilot a light aircraft. I think it was hitch or pitch something.

Does anyone know if this is tru and if so how much it costs and what is involved or am i just imagining things lol

GoneWest
26th Jun 2002, 14:01
There's a phrase - in the USA - that I never heard when I was in UK of "pinch hitter".

AOPA (USA) run courses for it. When I asked what it was, I was told "sufficient ground and flight training for a passenger to get the aircraft safely on the ground in the event of (single) pilot incapacitation"

So, take the friend or relative to your local school and buy them a few hours of dual instruction - sufficient to scream help on the R/T, read the compass (not the DI) well enough to follow a QDM, and bring birdie to floor level without stalling it.

Don't really see a need for an Air Law exam :) or a medical - just enough to get you out of the pooh.

Don't forget, of course, that once they start...it will cost you £5000 for them to finish their PPL. :D

FlyingForFun
26th Jun 2002, 14:04
Several flying schools in the UK do this kind of course - it's generally called something like a "safety pilot" course.

FFF
-----------

OzExpat
27th Jun 2002, 11:20
Many years ago, at Mudgee, this was called the "Widows Course"! :eek:

AerBabe
27th Jun 2002, 20:11
Yup, FFF is right, it's the "safety pilot" course, and is around 6 hours flying.