PDA

View Full Version : Latest EK Senior mngmt outreach...

InnocentBystander
11th Apr 2016, 19:38
So now the COO reaches out to everyone in a desperate attempt to finally get a handle on his operation and is begging for his minions to talk to him as his middle management obviously has failed miserably to give him a realistic picture of his responsibility.

Few observations:

- He is obviously unqualified to be in his job (We already knew this)
- Feedback from 20 cabin crew and 20 pilots initiated enough panic in him to reach out and solicit more feedback
- He is absolutely clueless as to what is going on and how to fix it. Any other corporation in the world would form an exploration committee and hire an outside consultancy. But since "we" can't do that (i.e. admit incompetency) we just ask our own people for advice...

Funnily enough the third point is the exact same thing CPB and CPA and SVPF have done in the past. The level of incompetence of our senior Flight Ops & Service Delivery Management is mind boggling.

sluggums
11th Apr 2016, 19:49
Unfortunately all trust has gone, so even if his intentions are well meaning, which I seriously doubt, no one is inclined to believe that any of it is for the benefit of the shop floor minions.

natops
12th Apr 2016, 07:32
He has done too many negative things to our flying community. Most people I talk to hate his guts.

Its time for him to realize this, and be man enough to move away from his position.
When I see an email from him I dont take it serious, a lotta blah blah. Its too late, move away and let a competent person clean up the mess.

( I know... Not gonna happen)

alwayzinit
12th Apr 2016, 08:27
AAR does not need any more input, he knows what is wrong and knows how to fix it.
All it requires is for him and anyone above him, to take the required action.
Sadly being of an age where the Easter Bunny and Fairies at the bottom of the garden are no longer a part of my life, the chances of anything happening to fix this mess are between slim and FA!:ugh:

fatbus
12th Apr 2016, 08:31
Everything seems to indicate pressure from above and he can't blame it on anyone below. AS did not do anything positive for the pilot group but he did send everything up to AAR so as not to be the fall guy.
Response to this email "should" give a clear indication on how pilots feel towards him.
Deleted already.

uba737
12th Apr 2016, 11:00
Deleted after reading the first few lines!

Panther 88
12th Apr 2016, 11:37
And where did it say in the email anything to improve our lot, etc.? He just wants to hear our input on how to improve and/or make the OPERATION more efficient. Nothing to do with us.

ruserious
12th Apr 2016, 12:57
Ruserious, it is a placebo to make those above and those below think he cares or wants input.
Not to mention a separate email address so that the opinions don't clutter up his personal inbox. Grade 5 secretary will be allocated inbox management duties.

donpizmeov
12th Apr 2016, 14:07
Maybe we could ask that he replay any wash up over the past ten years or so. Didn't listen then, won't listen now.

CamelRustler
12th Apr 2016, 15:26
Exactly What Don said.

jack schidt
12th Apr 2016, 15:36
Panther, I am with you buddy.

The email concludes with what we can do to improve his "lot" and no consideration about pilot concerns or otherwise from those that feed him, shameful. He is married into "THE" family, the family do a pretty good job for Dubai, but being married into a position certainly doesn't make you competent in his role. He never was, has never learnt and no doubt wil never be a respected leader of this once amazing airline, so sad.

I would never consider lowering myself to ever write an email to him about anything.

J

Talparc
12th Apr 2016, 15:41
Someone seems to be desperate!?

Never listened to us during the million wash up's. Why is the false shift now happening?
Could be the media attention or the foreign agencies asking questions?
Nothing will/can change as there are not enough crew available.
The situation will get worse day by day! The ship is sinking (remember the CRM video?)
A brand close to destruction.

Nikita81
12th Apr 2016, 16:52
Never saw a business organization whose leaders lost the trust of their employees on such a level that even if they sincerely want to change something they don't have the support of the people who desperately need change. Ridiculous paradox.

The only cure is change of the whole top and middle management. In one move.

Talparc
12th Apr 2016, 17:39
Nikita81

True but they do not sincerely want to change something.

AAR is part of the problem, he must be exchanged with all the others immediately.
Same as TCAS/ STC .. they are the problem.
Just wait and see, it will eventually happen!

PMASHA
12th Apr 2016, 17:50
QR is hiring.

Nikita81
12th Apr 2016, 17:56
Just wait and see, it will eventually happen!

It will, ofc. If there is a grain of common sense left there. After all, business is for making money and taking care of all aspects of it, not for employing wasta and incompetent managers from all over the world whose bad judgement and management kill their customers and crew.

notapilot15
12th Apr 2016, 18:54
The only cure is change of the whole top and middle management. In one move.

I am sure they are prepared for that event, hence 8 x Daily A380s.

Phil A Buster
12th Apr 2016, 21:00
The man is widely despised and is never to be trusted.

Nikita81
13th Apr 2016, 18:09
I am sure they are prepared for that event, hence 8 x Daily A380s. There is another solution. It's even more effective than replacing all the managers but I doubt they ever gonna do it. Forming a good, honest and working ethical department (if possible, outside UAE and formed out of foreigners known for having integrity) for resolving all labour disputes and concerns, with ultimate power of final decision in these matters. This would improve sick organizational culture in a short period of time.

Edit: and while we are at senior EK management, someone searched my blog with these key words today:

"sir tim clark pure genious of emirates".

speed2height
13th Apr 2016, 19:25
There is another solution. It's even more effective than replacing all the managers but I doubt they ever gonna do it. Forming a good, honest and working ethical department (if possible, outside UAE and formed out of foreigners known for having integrity) for resolving all labour disputes and concerns, with ultimate power of final decision in these matters. This would improve sick organizational culture in a short period of time.

Edit: and while we are at senior EK management, someone searched my blog with these key words today:

"sir tim clark pure genious of emirates".
The way genius is spelled sure indicates it was one of the other geniuses in the bouncy castle that made that search.

speed2height
13th Apr 2016, 19:32
So now the COO reaches out to everyone in a desperate attempt to finally get a handle on his operation and is begging for his minions to talk to him as his middle management obviously has failed miserably to give him a realistic picture of his responsibility.

Few observations:

- He is obviously unqualified to be in his job (We already knew this)
- Feedback from 20 cabin crew and 20 pilots initiated enough panic in him to reach out and solicit more feedback
- He is absolutely clueless as to what is going on and how to fix it. Any other corporation in the world would form an exploration committee and hire an outside consultancy. But since "we" can't do that (i.e. admit incompetency) we just ask our own people for advice...

Funnily enough the third point is the exact same thing CPB and CPA and SVPF have done in the past. The level of incompetence of our senior Flight Ops & Service Delivery Management is mind boggling.
I think you were reading that situation wrong. The meeting with 20 Pilots and 20 Cabin Crew was most likely a fact finding endeavor of possible excuses why AAR was not responsible for the current manning crisis of operational crew. The email address was again an opportunity to provide any information that might get him off the hook for the obvious commercial consequence of not investing in maintaining the business or its people.

I highly recommend AAR reads a management textbook written by Dr Suess called the Lorax. It is cautionary tale about reaping without sowing.

sluggums
13th Apr 2016, 20:10
Any news regarding this soooper dooooper change in or T's & C's that JA promised us. Or is it just another pile of BS using smoke and mirrors...

M'ment: "Let's wheel out some rubbish about changing the package, that'll stop them from leaving..." Jeez, I don't know what version of reality they're running, but it doesn't match anyone's from the shop floor.

TineeTim
14th Apr 2016, 09:27
“Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse.”
― Christopher Hitchens (Bolding is mine)

In the above quote, replace religion with AAR specifically, or EK management generally. Encapsulates my feelings perfectly. I have a long memory. Email deleted before I finished reading.

sluggums
21st Apr 2016, 20:34
Just struck me, bit slow, I know, that this 'exciting new development' from JA was just before the 3 month notice period for pilots wishing to qualify for the profit share.

I find it hard to believe that it was done with our interests in any way. It was probably done just to sway those on the edge of resigning to delay long enough to cover the summer shortage that there may be...?

ekpilot
22nd Apr 2016, 03:32
By cancelling the end of March forum was a good way to dodge sticky questions. If they really wanted to know our concerns it would have been a good occasion. Just before the pay review 😉
What about April forum? Do they want to know our concerns?

This place will never change. Let me clean my pink goggles.
Keep discovering 😉

Pucka
22nd Apr 2016, 03:35
Look at fragrant harbour to see where the CX parallels are…very similar!! That said, our DFO is about to crack the whip on May 31….mmmm!

fatbus
22nd Apr 2016, 03:55
Ekpilot you are correct, very convenient that the meeting was delayed but not re scheduled. They will have a typical excuse / EK line in response. EK management ego can't handle not being the choice airline anymore. Trying to lay blame on an Expat but can't find one . Big downward spiral led by AAR.

speedbirdhopeful1
27th Apr 2016, 14:44
I know a few people who have done the feedback to AAR and received a personal response from him including some actions he's taking. Apparently he wants feedback on the May rosters as he's been told that they are much better! It may change nothing and be a fruitless exercise, but at least he cannot say 'I asked for feedback and heard nothing' - there's no harm in trying. Max hours, rostering, leave, crap bidding system, housing shafting etc etc. What's the worst that can happen by telling him again?

jack schidt
27th Apr 2016, 15:16
Be very VERY careful indeed giving anything. When the 78 to 90 hours (temporary increase) was requested (by the company) and agreed by the pilot body (via feedback), it never ever changed back.

Too many hidden agendas with upper echelon self satisfaction that problems are being addressed appropriately.

If there is a reason to feel better about rostering now, then there is no reason to be proud of the changes as it is evidence of malpractice over the long past.

J

Wizofoz
28th Apr 2016, 05:01
and agreed by the pilot body (via feedback),

EH???????

It was never requested- it was imposed without the slightest consultation.

JonyBGood
28th Apr 2016, 05:43
Rule number 1:

-Never get emotionally involved with the company policies or about any people from management, doesn't matter how much dumb and stupid they are.
This is not your business. You're a Pilot. Just do you Flight with the best climate as possible with your crew and go home to live your life.

This is the rule number 1 to survive on new aviation paradigma, do it, change your mind, disregard a lot of bad things in your company from the managers or you'll go mad, create unhappiness around you, make the things worst than they really are and finally be fired.

jack schidt
28th Apr 2016, 07:12
Wiz, from what I can recall....TCAS put out a survey or otherwise (perhaps it was just an email) and stated that due to current financial global conditions the pilot body were "requested" to increase to 90 hours per month. It was stated that the hours increase would be a temporary measure. I can specifically remember discussions with people who were agreeing that this was an OK option to help the company out but I knew the change would never be reversed once implemented.

J

777boyo
28th Apr 2016, 08:32
My recollection is that it was simply an email, presenting what was effectively a 'fait accompli'. I don't recall any request for feedback. You are absolutely correct that the change was described as a purely temporary measure, to be rescinded when the industry returned to more 'normal' economic operating conditions.

I guess the definition of 'temporary' is elastic........

7B

sluggums
28th Apr 2016, 09:14
No, the bouncy castle mis-managers are right...

It's temporary, forever. See!

Talparc
28th Apr 2016, 09:15
I remember as well that it was only an email from TCAS during 2008 crush
I questioned him a few years later when to go back to normal
his answer: you are a clown

Tube Rider
28th Apr 2016, 09:35
Talparc is right. I still have the email. Imposed at the stroke of a pen with no consultation whatsoever.

TCAS did take a survey when reserve was changed to monthly blocks. We never saw the survey results but he imposed the monthly blocks anyway.

fatbus
28th Apr 2016, 13:22
That move saved the company so much money he was protected against future screw ups

SOPS
28th Apr 2016, 13:26
Did we not get a letter in our postboxes about the change to the overtime levels from TCAS, without consultation, or is that a different thing from going to 90 hours?

sluggums
28th Apr 2016, 14:16
Ultimately, it's SSDD. They take without any regards for the long term damage. Bloody sociopaths the lot of them.

donpizmeov
28th Apr 2016, 15:46
It was a letter on that gold coloured paper they use.
Such a horrid grot of a man.

Wizofoz
28th Apr 2016, 16:02
It was 92 hours, not 90.

I was at a training meeting the day it happened, and no-one had been previously informed.

On that day, someone asked TCAS if it would revert to 78 hours when the financial crisis was over, and his remark was that he wasn't going to make promises he couldn't keep- I don't think the word "temporary" was attached to any communication regarding the threshold.

paddingtonbear319
29th Apr 2016, 07:59
I saw TCAS standing on the roundabout by the laundry end of EGHQ Sunday morning, musing something over. Heaven knows what he has in store now!

donpizmeov
29th Apr 2016, 08:28
Think he was looking for his marbles.

120feet
29th Apr 2016, 12:05
He just reported a pilot to fleet who changed out of uniform during a deadheading flight he was on. Still sticking it to the pilots. What a wonderful person he is.

SOPS
29th Apr 2016, 12:13
For, the name of whoever, can't the guy let go? He has made his millions on the back of everyone's else's sweat, why is he not in in Southern France enjoying it?

sluggums
29th Apr 2016, 14:40
Because he can't. It's not about money with people in these positions. It's about power, influence and control.

GoreTex
29th Apr 2016, 15:48
when he leaves he is just a short little man waiting to die, he has nothing else to do

ExDubai
29th Apr 2016, 16:02
when he leaves he is just a short little man waiting to die, he has nothing else to do
Perfect description.

Talparc
29th Apr 2016, 16:35
What a f... muppet

nolimitholdem
30th Apr 2016, 00:25
I believe you are referring to this letter. There is no mention whatsoever of anything being "temporary".

New joiners beware, this is what passes for "contract negotiation" at EK...seven years on, the "troubled times" continue...

Every single day I thank dog there are options for widebody pilots outside of EK. Sheer thievery.

http://s32.postimg.org/ja1rjgez9/Infamous_Alan_Stealey_Letter_1.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/ycsqpne1h/Infamous_Alan_Stealey_Letter_2.jpg

JAYTO
30th Apr 2016, 04:13
"......difficult decisions......" ??????

hahahahahahhohohhohehehehehhaahahhaahhhehehehehohohoohhehehe heh ahhhh

That was funny.

J

Old King Coal
30th Apr 2016, 04:47
And let's not lose sight of the fact that those 'other major airlines' that were experiencing 'major difficulties' are all still here and doing very nicely too, and that they managed to survive without having to rape their staff's T&C's in the process. Go figure?!

Unbusy
30th Apr 2016, 05:57
Interesting to read that letter.
More work, less money must have caused grinding of the teeth when it started.
The good old days are over it seems.

knifedge
30th Apr 2016, 08:58
So basically,

After the threshold moved ....

That was a 30 % cut for a 92 hours roster that lasted for 7 years so far... Just multiply...

Any payrise in between was far below inflation...

Then, even a 50 % increase today would not catch up with what it has been taken away, at least for the next 7 years...

Not to mention the inflation and the VAT coming up for the next ccming years...

In the meantime, broken families and unrecoverable health issues...

How much is enough this days ...??

donpizmeov
30th Apr 2016, 12:47
And yet 60% of the pilot group still joined after this happened.

JAYTO
30th Apr 2016, 13:08
... and 40% stayed after it happened.

We all have our reasons for being here. Lets not fight with eachother.

J

BYMONEK
30th Apr 2016, 13:11
Don't forget though that those figures have changed since. Productivity is now triggered 4 hours less than in the letter. An improvement, but not where it used to be. I personally would not be too surprised if there are some similar changes on the way and possible improvements in credit pay. I guess we'll know in a month or so from now.

BANANASBANANAS
1st May 2016, 06:46
I believe you are referring to this letter. There is no mention whatsoever of anything being "temporary".

New joiners beware, this is what passes for "contract negotiation" at EK...seven years on, the "troubled times" continue...

Every single day I thank dog there are options for widebody pilots outside of EK. Sheer thievery.

http://s32.postimg.org/ja1rjgez9/Infamous_Alan_Stealey_Letter_1.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/ycsqpne1h/Infamous_Alan_Stealey_Letter_2.jpg

In that letter TCAS makes reference to the increase in frequency of ULR and LR flights that EMIRATES was undertaking. That frequency continues to increase yet we are still crewed and rostered as if we are a low cost carrier operating turnaround flights.

Ten crews per airframe is required if our long term health is not to suffer and if the attrition rate for the more experienced pilots is to reduce.

Talparc
1st May 2016, 09:12
It is like history:

before Feb 8 th 2009 and after
The date when the ship started to hit the ice.

Sheikh Your Bootie
1st May 2016, 09:20
The response from management on or about the 10th of May will tell us what they they think of the situation at present.

If they don't address these following issues, then its same same...

1.Pay-A substantial increase, no fiddling with other stuff, basic pay.

2.Leave-A firm commitment to give everyone their leave, and that in their leave bank.

3.Rostering-Let the system work, let us bid for exactly what we want to bid for and what we don't want. Give us the ability to get days off blocks in all bid groups, not just the top two bid groups. Publish all the rules that we don't know about, we work for the same organisation!!

4.Reserve-Blocks of 5 to 7 days off and the ability to bid for these prior to the reserve month. Being drip fed 1 day off at a time is no life!

5.Credit for all simulator and ground duties.

6.Stop high hours its affecting all our health, and give a firm commitment to lowering the monthly target flying hours. Its no life flying constant 95 hour months, and little time to recover, given the EK route network.

7. Stop the stupid practice of not crediting all hours when on a ULR flight, no one else does it.

Feel free to add to the list.. No rants just what EK management need to do to recruit more pilots and stop the huge outflow of pilots currently.

SyB :zzz::zzz:

fatbus
1st May 2016, 12:32
We can all dream.

BYMONEK
1st May 2016, 17:21
SYB

Agree with a lot of that. Two points though. Point 7 is incorrect as Malaysian, amongst others, credits half the hours on ULR's. At least we get full credit for the operating sector even if it's only half for the augment. As for blocks of days off, that's only ever going to happen when the hours come down. In the current climate, unless you're on the 380, it would be almost impossible to have a block of 5-7 days off every month as the roster would then need to compact the other duties into the remaining month. With ULR flying that's possible but not in bottom bid groups on the 777 with the ever increasing number of shorter flights and night turns. As fatbus says, keep dreaming.

Still, you may be right with number 5!

Sheikh Your Bootie
1st May 2016, 18:34
@BYMONEK I stand by what I said re. point 7. Full credit for all ULR time, end of.

Management should know by now what they need to do. If they don't, then people won't come to EK and many more will leave.

I hear that the current surge of joiners will soon end, gotta laugh :ugh::ugh:

We shall see.

SyB :zzz::zzz:

helen-damnation
1st May 2016, 19:33
Dream on dude.

You're going to get poked with the ****ty end of a sharp stick :-(

OzoneAddict
2nd May 2016, 04:34
There are four leadership stages (Micro-manage; Manage; Lead; Delegate) that any leader will pass through in a business that grows. To set up a business; maybe a new task in your business; or maybe you have a new problem in your business, Good Leaders revert to MICRO-MANAGING this takes considerable effort and time from the TOP end, eventually once your team have gained some experience (or insight, information etc of your company problem) you can then go on the MANAGING your team, and in time you can LEAD and then finally you can DELEGATE your now efficient; highly experienced and motivated team.

The Leaders of any company want to reach this last phase as soon as possible (hence they hire good experienced people) as they can then be paid fat to delegate. But before you can delegate you need to have in your team MOTIVATED and EXPERIENCED people.

This company structure is a mess at its core due mass scale DE-motivated players and largely INEXPERIENCED managers (AR)

It means that STC will now have to use a tremendous amount if HIS own EFFORT, TIME and ENERGY to start right from the beginning (so to speak) and start MICRO-MANAGE this company back to glory.....good luck STC do YOU have the ENERGY and if not who does?? or glug glug

TwinJock
2nd May 2016, 05:01
Cancel all Annex / Variation flights - its ILLEGAL. In Feb only 4 MLE turn-arounds could be completed without extending duty period!

Illegal and Immoral!

Talparc
2nd May 2016, 08:01
TwinJock:

Totally right!!!
It is Illegal!!!

glofish
2nd May 2016, 09:21
It can't be immoral due to the absence of any morality.

GoreTex
2nd May 2016, 17:54
its not about what Emirates can do for you, its about what you can do for Emirates, if you are not prepared to ruin your health for the glory of working for them just leave

notapilot15
3rd May 2016, 12:52
I think EK management stretched very old third world concept of "It takes a village to raise a child" to "It takes a world to raise EK"

Pilots, cabin crew, ramp workers, construction workers should sacrifice their health and life.

Other countries should shutdown their own airlines and allot unlimited access to EK.

When STC says "we built this airline with blood, sweat and tears" he is not talking about management and counting on you.

It is very difficult for management to comprehend why anyone wouldn't help/sacrifice, when they are trying to help the world.

flareflyer
4th May 2016, 11:01
So AAR finally found out what is wrong through our emails......
Now even last excuse is gone.......
He cannot say anymore that he did not know what the problems are....
Lets see how he will be able to solve these problems as last resort......

donpizmeov
4th May 2016, 11:04
Leave problem is now fixed...oh wait there...

uba737
4th May 2016, 11:25
Erased before reading!

JAYTO
4th May 2016, 11:30
... and make sure you have your eswaps in 72 hours prior to the swap time, because with the large amount of confusing company rules in place it now needs all that time to figure out whether "its legal captain"

J