PDA

View Full Version : 737 Go Around

THR RED ACC
19th Mar 2016, 23:25
How do you execute a go-around on a 737?

Call TOGA.
Thrust levers full power.
Pull back on yoke.
Gear up.
Flaps 3.
Reset F/Director + MCP

FlyingStone
19th Mar 2016, 23:29
What? Flaps 3? Full power? Reset F/D?

172_driver
19th Mar 2016, 23:32
Go-Around
Set thrust
Flaps15
Gear Up
Flight Directors guides you through the missed approach. Missed appr. altitude should've been set already. Some versions of 737 need you to select roll mode, Hdg Sel or LNAV. Other versions engages LNAV automatically for you.

RAT 5
20th Mar 2016, 10:43
Ref The Red ACC. I'm guessing a little, but if he has to ask the question, and offers his own wonky answers, he won't understand our knowledgeable responses.

S7EVIN
20th Mar 2016, 11:55
I try to do it properly.

dash6
20th Mar 2016, 12:29
Red will be half way through a loop by item 3. Do flight sims work inverted?

THR RED ACC
20th Mar 2016, 12:38
Come on guys, serious answers.

I got myself in a bit of a pickle because I fly the A380 and I've only just realised my mistake with the flaps 3 part of my answer. I meant to say Flaps 25.

Now the reasoning behind this question is because the flyDubai guys got themselves in a bit of a pickle too with their go around, hence my question. You never know, this question (and subsequent answers) may save someone one day when they too are in a similar swiss cheese situation (bad wxr, disorientated, not aware of proper TOGA techniques, etc).

TypeIV
20th Mar 2016, 13:19
Depends on the company and there's a difference between a normal go around and a windshear escape maneouvre.

S7EVIN
20th Mar 2016, 13:27
RED ACC what do you mean by "this question (and subsequent answers) may save someone one day"?

There are no personal techniques in executing a go around, you stick to what your SOP/AFM says.

Just for your curiosity:

- Push TOGA button once (this will give you only reduced thrust go around and flight directors command a pitch to achieve 1000-1500ft/min)
- Select flap 15
- PM manually set thrust if A/T was disengaged
- Retract gear
- Retract flaps on schedule

Note: if on single AP as you push TOGA button it will immediately disengage.

Note2: windshear escape maneouver is basically the same except once pushed TOGA you slam the thrust levers to the firewall and then disengage A/T so they don't come back. You then follow FDs guidance and keep same airplane configuration until out of the windshear.

B737900er
20th Mar 2016, 14:11
B737 dont do flap 25 go arounds so this person is winding you up!

furbpilot
20th Mar 2016, 15:20
This forum is becoming a joke ..are you for real?
Flap 3
Go Around and wind shear recovery are the same?
If you really are pilots I will travel by train...

donpizmeov
20th Mar 2016, 15:44
Back in the day when describing how to fly a missed approach the attitude that needs to be set would be mentioned within the first two items.

Johnny F@rt Pants
20th Mar 2016, 17:12
It goes like this -

PF calls "Go-around flap 15" whilst simultaneously pressing the TOGA switch.

PM selects flap 15.

If flying manually PF pitches to the flight director, and if the auto-throttle had been disengaged PF advances the thrust levers to an outstretched arms length. PM can adjust this when workload permits.

With a positive rate of climb indicated the PM calls "positive climb" and the PF asks for the gear to be retracted.

Passing 400 feet AGL PM calls "400 feet", in response PF asks for a roll mode, either LNAV or HDG SEL.

Passing 1000 feet AAL (or acceleration altitude) PM makes an appropriate call and PF asks for flap 5. PM selects flap 5.

The selection of flap 5 commands the acceleration, once above the flap speed schedule PF calls for flap 1, and PM verifies the speed and selects flap 1. The same happens for flaps up.

Once the flaps are up the auto-pilot can be engaged.

The GOTCHA - If ALT ACQ happens prior to the completion of the acceleration, the speed window will open at the speed the aircraft is presently flying at. If neither pilot notices then it is possible to retract flaps at speeds that you really wouldn't want to.

FlightDetent
20th Mar 2016, 18:53
What's the max FD commanded pitch-up? I seem to remember 20 deg NU for after take-off.... long time since -400.

S7EVIN
20th Mar 2016, 19:03
Don't know if there is a max value and in that case what would that be but I can tell you that FDs pitches more than 20 degrees (at least on the -800)

Johnny F@rt Pants
20th Mar 2016, 19:12
7-cylinder man - I try to remember the gear but it doesn't always happen as it should, just need to look at my last sim check - oops.

Of course, to correct for the obvious I have now edited my post!

JammedStab
21st Mar 2016, 16:05
There have been some crashes on go-arounds that were blamed on the aircraft pitching up excessively and the acceleration combined with a poor scan leading to excessive nosedown input resulting in a unwanted descent.

I only flew the 200 series and only for a short time period quite a while back. I was wondering if someone could confirm to me that during a go-around, the aircraft pretty much pitches up to near the proper go-around attitude by itself with minimal requirement for the pilot to actually have to pull back on the control column.

de facto
21st Mar 2016, 20:05
And yet we go around every day during take off...

dash6
21st Mar 2016, 21:09
....and trimmed for it, in practice;generally at heavier weights and with planned thrust settings.........

FlightDetent
21st Mar 2016, 22:53
I was wondering if someone could confirm to me that during a go-around, the aircraft pretty much pitches up to near the proper go-around attitude by itself with minimal requirement for the pilot to actually have to pull back on the control column. The Tatarstan accident report says exactly that.

THR RED ACC
21st Mar 2016, 23:18
And yet we go around every day during take off...

Not quite!!!

It is a lot more stressful performing a go-around than a take-off, that is for sure!

Every flight must have one take-off and at least one landing, but may not need a go-around.

Like Cpt Sully once said, if I had set that thrust a second later, we would have dodged those birds as we would have been in that very spot a second after.

de facto
22nd Mar 2016, 09:09
It is a lot more stressful performing a go-around than a take-off, that is for sure!

Talk for yourself.
A go around is a normal procedure,if you find it stressful then maybe its time to go and practice before you are allowed to fly passengers.
Stress may happen if you are not mentally ready for a go around,this is good for any flying procedure..
Not being ready to go around while bringing yourself into a situation with very little escape route is understandingly stressful.
Risk management is as important as clicking on a switch,(same as t/o) setting go around thrust(same as t/o),pitching at 15(same as t/o) and retracting flaps to 3,,,(i meant 15),joke aside.

S7EVIN
22nd Mar 2016, 09:12
It may be normal considering that there are no failures involved in itself but it's "not normal" considering how often you do it.

de facto
22nd Mar 2016, 09:29
Yet again you do it every day on take off...if you need,use flaps 25 for practice.
....and trimmed for it, in practice;generally at heavier weights and with planned thrust settings.........
Oh my,yes it is stressful when you put it like that...then if the trim is your issue,add the thrust in a normal way rather than yanking it foward,thrust settings could be planned,just have a look at your go around thrust in your aircraft qrh and use your other pilot to set the correct final setting.

S7EVIN
22nd Mar 2016, 09:37
If you consider going around at minima yes we kinda do it almost every day but GA can happen in many different situations, close to, but below MAA (watch out for level bust) or above it.

TO always starts from the same point in space and in a moment where your mind is not as busy as it could be while you're flying the thing.

de facto
22nd Mar 2016, 09:57
I suggest you give your landings to your captain then and in the meanwhile ask for extra sim sessions to practice balked landings until your mind is at ease.

S7EVIN
22nd Mar 2016, 10:00
Thanks for your advice but I can do hundreds in the sim but if then I don't do one in years for real it doesn't change much about my logic.

RAT 5
22nd Mar 2016, 10:14
All engine GA = stress/no stress? Guys say we do Takeoffs everyday; what's the difference, and you are further away from the ground? B737. Considering stress; why do some operators use a procedure different to a normal takeoff. IMHO that has the possibility of inducing stress by being unfamiliar with it. It is not part of an LPC and so not practice much. It was no big deal on earlier Boeings; it as the same as a takeoff. Now the B737 designers introduced the flap lever controlling the speed bug. Who ever thought that was better than the MCP window as per B757/767? There are operators who want you to start retracting flaps at 400'. That too is different. What's the rush? There is no need. There are operators who want you to fly the whole procedure manually, yet every takeoff is with A/P at 1000'. Why make a dodgy scenario more so? Daft IMHO. KISS.