PDA

View Full Version : A320: does your airline do this?

oicur12.again
17th Feb 2016, 15:13
Cycle the fmgc data base every sector to "clear the cache"?

Never seen it before in my previous 320/330 airlines.

STBYRUD
17th Feb 2016, 16:37
You can do the same on pretty much any FMC... The question is... Is that procedure, is it personal technique, is it even necessary? :=

halfofrho
17th Feb 2016, 23:41
I often do this to when the MCDU 'holds' on to previous data from a previous flight or when it gets stuck during Datalink Init Request.

Can be helpful but certainly isn't company SOP.

avoka
18th Feb 2016, 00:56
I had to do it 5 days ago.My fmgs got stuck after wind request via acars.

oicur12.again
20th Feb 2016, 00:45
Is it procedure, yes. Not written anywhere that I can find but its one that is taught in line training and followed in practice. Airbus airline number 6 for me and never seen such a procedure before.

I can see reasons to do it such as mentioned above but the company reason makes little sense to me.

TURIN
20th Feb 2016, 10:41
It's a standard Daily Inspection item on some A330s. The requirement is to to trip the FMGEC CBs and reset after 20 minutes or down power the a/c for a similar time.
The memory can only hold something like 100 waypoints and this procedure ensures it is cleared.
There was an Airbus Service Bulletin out a few years ago.
I haven't seen it done on the 320 but that may be a different LRU manufacturer.

ElitePilot
20th Feb 2016, 23:51
Is it documented in you're sop or just a rogue training captain "technique"? ;)

oicur12.again
21st Feb 2016, 15:30
Documented yes, its in the company's extensively modified fcom.

fcoms from several previous airlines only request to delete any pilot stored wpt/rte etc if not needed.

And interestingly this airlines traing dept has a strong erj/crj background.

Further investigation indicates a belief that winds cannot be "properly" uploaded unless the data base has been cycled.

?????

LMCF
21st Feb 2016, 19:38
I cycle the database to the same one, when FMGC has some input done by a third person. This technic assure that previous data are removed or replaced to default.

Cheers