PDA

View Full Version : Tire (Tyre?) Cycles

No Fly Zone
17th Feb 2016, 06:38
I confess! While I do know how to inspect a tire during a walk around, I know little about their structure, number of recaps appropriate or cycle life. For the B737 and AB320 series in particular, how many cycles are likely to occur before a tire is assumed to require replacement? Are their guidelines, is there a firm number or is it all based in visual inspection? I've seen countless logbook entries noting a tire replacement, but counting the subsequent cycles is virtually impossible. and the records rarely note 'hard' or 'soft' landings or even suspected FOD. Airplane tires are typically recapped multiple times. If anyone knows, how many times may a 737/320 tire be recapped before it must be discarded? While airplane tires do not get a lot of use, when they are used, it can be extreme .
Lastly, I'm well aware that some 'majors' and 'internationals' contract with the tire and brake vendors on a per-cycle basis. If anyone knows, what is the typical, real dollar cost of tire service per cycle for 737/320- class airplane? And yes, I must ask, If you know, what do operators typically pay for tire stock or that 'new set of four?' Thank you...

-NFZ

riff_raff
18th Feb 2016, 05:39
Read thru this manual from Michelin. It provides guidance on how to spot wear problems with aircraft tires.

http://www.airmichelin.com/uploadedFiles/MichelinAirDev/StandardContent/Resource/2016_CSM_Print.pdf

No Fly Zone
18th Feb 2016, 06:49
@riff raff,

Thank you! Just read it and explained about 95+% of what I wanted to know. Much appreciated.
-NFZ

riff_raff
20th Feb 2016, 10:08
To paraphrase an old saying, "....the brakes only stop the wheels. It's the tires that stop the aircraft..."

Here's an interesting piece from AW on how valuable MLG brakes are on the spare parts market. It is profitable to part out a 12-year-old A320.

http://aviationweek.com/site-files/aviationweek.com/files/imagecache/galleryformatter_slide_penton/gallery_images/7.%20Brakes%20DSC_4962.JPG?1455822692