PDA

View Full Version : What would you perfer, a TCAS or a FMS?

Bearcat
23rd Jun 2002, 20:40
OK guys and Gals, you are starnded on a desert Island, no not the Isle of White and you are going to fly your machine to a terminal area.......you have two choices to have on board; an FMS or a TCAS. I know my decision but having spoken to a few collegues I am suprised at their decisions. I know what I would have. Maybe Capt Diesel out on secondment may like to add his portly contibution.

Capt Bearcat

Captain Stable
23rd Jun 2002, 22:17
Since this is not a safety nor a CRM nor QA question I am moving it - sorry! :)

expedite_climb
24th Jun 2002, 07:35
Flying without an fms if you are used to it would be hard work, and certainly create the higher workload of the two options, but i think i'd rather that than no TCAS...

SkyCruiser
24th Jun 2002, 09:04
christ, life without a FMS, NO WAY. FMS any day.;)

Herod
24th Jun 2002, 10:03
Forced to make a choice, remember; TCAS can save your life, not generally a claim FMS can make. But if you're stranded with the right people, they could probably make both out of an old toilet-roll core, some sticky-backed plastic, and a pair of Val's old knickers.

flch10000
26th Jun 2002, 18:14
problem is... most of the non-mil pilots under 35/40 have never flown an non EFIS jet...

One of these pilots flying without FMS is like a baby without a dummy.

I reckon some Company MEL's don't permit dual FMC failure (assuming FQIS functioning of course) because the poor darlings wouldn't have a clue what to do.

And before you start flaming - I hold a 733 rating. So I'm at least au fait with the situation.

toodly doo

Herod
26th Jun 2002, 20:57
Also 733 rated. The manual permits provided it is not required for navigation, (only single FMS on the 733 remember) but with so much of Europe now relying on RNAV you wouldn't be very popular with ATC. Pardon the ignorance, or an old man's failing memory, but what is the FQIS ?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Jun 2002, 06:52
What amazes me is how you guys put up with TCAS. When I'm popping people onto the ILS at Heathrow half the a/c transmissions have got "traffic, traffic" hollering in the background - 99 out of 100 times against helicopters 2000 feet below! Do you never want to chuck the thing out of the window??? :-)

flch10000
27th Jun 2002, 10:45
FQIS = Fuel Quantity Indicating System

Sniff
27th Jun 2002, 21:47
HD - Nahh, you want to shout at the Heli to switch on mode 'C'...Much safer! :D

Chimbu chuckles
28th Jun 2002, 15:02
Or install Version 7 software as we have just done.

Having flown 9000 out of my 10000 hours without FMSs or TCAS I would happily not have either in your scenario.

I do so love em both though:D

Chuck.