PDA

View Full Version : Public Transport Performance

Mister Geezer
22nd Jun 2002, 15:11
After trying to find on-line links to the UK ANO, I was wondering if anyone could maybe clarify the procedure for Performance calculations for twin piston aircraft with a MTOW below 5700kgs.

Any links or a brief clarification would be very helpful.

Cheers

MG

Stan Evil
22nd Jun 2002, 18:49
The bit you need is ANO Section 3 General Regulations which lays down the performance requirements for all of the pre-JAA categories of aircraft. Piston twins are normally Perf C (if they'll probably climb away on 1 engine) or Perf E (if the live engine may only take you to the scene of the crash).

The ANO link is:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001562.htm

Use the performance tables or graphs in accordance with the procedures in the ANO. Be careful about public transport factors on Perf E aircraft which are probably not included in the graphs. Perf C graphs normally have the factors (different ones) included.

The perf group of the twin you're flying will be stated in the UK supplement at the back of the POH, but here are a few I know:

Perf E

Seneca I and III
Duchess
Seminole
Cougar
Partenavia

Perf C

Seneca II

Mister Geezer
23rd Jun 2002, 14:54
Thanks very much for your reply. I actually can't find any mention of Perf regulations anywhere on that link. Any ideas???

Thanks

MG:)

King Muppet
23rd Jun 2002, 15:31
JAR-OPS 1 divides performance categories for public transport into 3 groups : A, B & C.

Your twin piston will come under Group B or Group C depending on its max take-off mass and number of passenger seats - but most likely B...

Group B: propeller driven aeroplanes with a maximum approved passenger seating configuration of 9 or less AND a maximum take-off mass of 5700 kg or less.

Group C: aeroplanes powered by reciprocating engines with a maximum approved seating configuration of more than 9 OR a maximum take-off mass exceeding 5700 kg.

If you'd like the full JAR-OPS perf requirements (gradients/speeds/configs/blah blah), email me and I'll TRY and dig them out for you :confused:

Mister Geezer
23rd Jun 2002, 21:15
Thanks for the info. No need to dig that boring stuff out! Since I had no access to an ANO during the weekend I was wondering if anyone could beat me to it but I will trawl through that lovely green book tomorrow!!!

Thanks for your efforts!

MG

Stan Evil
24th Jun 2002, 18:24
Sorry, I stand corrected. The ANO link only has Section One of CAP 393. You'll need a real copy to get the info.

A BIG WARNING:

The JAR performance studied for your exams is NOT relevant to any of the usual GA light aircraft. They were all certified long before JAA was thought of and the rules are not retrospective. Unless the light aircraft type was first certified in the last couple of years then the old rules apply.

bookworm
24th Jun 2002, 19:55
Try The Air Navigation (General) Regulations 1993 (http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1993/Uksi_19931622_en_1.htm).

King Muppet
26th Jun 2002, 22:56
Stan Evil

Wooops! Forgot to add that bit to my post... Thank you.

Gotta get out of this working with JARs all the time

:(