PDA

View Full Version : A320 Eyebrow Shade T/O and Ldg use

CaptainMongo
5th Jan 2016, 22:06
I don't have access to a current FCOM.

Is there a restriction on the use of the Airbus 319/320 eyebrow shade on takeoff and landing in that it must either be stowed or must be in a position where the arm is "clipped" into the holder just forward of the overhead panel?

I was told there was because of a decapitation risk if it was in any other position except stowed or "clipped" on T/O and Landing.

OMGisThatJohn
5th Jan 2016, 23:27
That's hilarious. Someone's having you on.

FGE319
5th Jan 2016, 23:47
No known restriction under EASA rules, I'm still alive......

Metro man
6th Jan 2016, 00:32
I can remember being told to stow mine during line training, also there was a level below which the side window shades were meant to be retracted.

hikoushi
6th Jan 2016, 06:31
Don't know about that but the limitation in the A330 on keeping the table out during takeoff is the same. If you do a high-energy RTO it may break off and pose an impalement / disembowelment risk.

FlightDetent
6th Jan 2016, 10:40
No table or sun visor limitation in the AFM (but did not check now). So that is the certifying authority stance.

Next step would be to check OM-B. Most operators use FCOM (modified so some extent) for this. AFAIK OEM FCOM says table is to be stowed for tkof/ldg. Nothing about the shades.

I was told only once by a trainer that the shades need to be stowed up.

BTW: the 737 operator I worked for had a pre-start checklist item: sun-visors -> stowed. Is this a Boeing item?

Metro man
6th Jan 2016, 11:31
Apparently the A320 was certified with the table stowed for take off and landing, side window shades was a company requirement which has since been removed from our ops manual though it does make sense especially on the ground.

Flyman35
7th Jan 2016, 04:08
I have been told by a TRE Captain not to use it, however I haven't found any reference about that neither in FCOM nor in OM.

sonicbum
7th Jan 2016, 07:55
Talking about the sliding table... should you be cleared for takeoff and the table does not stow (stuck out) what would you do ? No way to get it back inside even after Maintenance inputs on VHF/ACARS. Airplane fully loaded for a 10+ hours of flight and slot expiring. Interested in your opinions folks.

FlightDetent
7th Jan 2016, 08:36
That is a captain-only type of question.:E

Dufo
7th Jan 2016, 08:45
Using the plane either as a tool or transport device in general can cause injury and/or death. It has been proven!

All the best in 2016 and wish you all the best of common sense :)

sonicbum
7th Jan 2016, 15:39
That is a captain-only type of question.:E

;)I am currently designing some Command upgrade scenarios for my employer and I am interested in different opinions, especially on this forum where we do have a big variety of experiences and cultures. :ok:

Check Airman
7th Jan 2016, 20:19
US A320 operator.

No restrictions on the use of any of the window shades.

The tray table may be extended, for takeoff and landing, but must be folded. Makes it pretty easy to write down taxi instructions right after landing.

safelife
7th Jan 2016, 21:00
Bigger european airline, no restrictions on the shades.
Table must be stowed to take-off and landing.

FlightDetent
7th Jan 2016, 21:32
sonicbum: aaaahhh, ... Kobayashi Maru! (http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru_scenario)

Check Airman: Sounds sensible but interesting nevertheless

Pilot Sliding Table - table stowed: One or both may be inoperative in its stowed position.

Alloy
7th Jan 2016, 23:23
The operators I'm aware of over twenty years have had no restriction on shades, 320 or 330. There are restrictions on the table depending on serial number - later 330s with EFB in table are certified stored or un-stowed (they must be latched) as I understand it.

I would say that on some of the older CRT screens, in bright sunlight, on circling approaches etc., it can be difficult to see the screens without the shades in some attitudes/directions of sunlight.

There was a case of an early 320 (German?) that aborted and caused a serious head injury with the old map light - thus I understand the reason for the redesign?

ShotOne
8th Jan 2016, 05:31
No restriction but some trainers/ captains impose one (as people do sometimes) as it sometimes drops down and pose a distraction on touchdown