PDA

View Full Version : A320 Extinguisher Squib light inop Maintenance procedure

Dupre
15th Dec 2015, 15:40
One of the squib lights failed to illuminate during the engine fire test during the cockpit preparation. Light illuminated correctly with the Annunciator switch at "Test". Maintenance tried to release the aircraft by MEL stating it was an inop squib light only. End result was a change of aircraft.

My question is this : The MEL referred to a Maintenance Procedure to check the fuctioning of the system. What does this procedure involve? (I asked and he said that he would only check no DISCH light illuminated! Didn't think this sounded adequate!)

Thanks!

Herr Bus
16th Dec 2015, 06:13
Squib test checks the continuity of the electrical circuit to and through the squib. If the light does not illuminate you have no idea if the circuit or squib is serviceable and will work in anger. No light...no dispatch. Just because the discharge light is not on only indicates that the fire bottle has not been discharged or is low pressure.

A and C
16th Dec 2015, 06:31
Right at the start of the A320's commercial service I was called to an aircraft with multiple failures, these included no squib test, cabin over pressure safety valve open, fire bottle discharge and a number of others I can't remember.

In the end and after about three days in the hangar all the problems had one cause, some fluid had ( I suspect a drink spilled in the cabin) leaked into an electrical connection ( D type plug ) positioned below the cabin floor just above the fwd cargo door.

Some in the hangar offered the opinion that the fire bottle indications result from the problems in the plug but being a cautious type I removed the offending fire bottle and weighed it............ It was empty !