PDA

View Full Version : ATC call during emergency evacuation (A320)

framisalvador
30th Nov 2015, 16:40
Hi everyone, after several years reading and enjoying your posts, here is my first one. I'm quite new on the bus, so first of all sorry if this is an obvious one, I just don't understand it :ugh:
In the FCTM (A320)- AO.020- The emergency evacuation procedure.. it says:
"EVACUATION...INITIATE requires the captain confirmation that the emergency evacuation is still required. If still required, the captain:
• Notifies the cabin crew to start the evacuation,
• Activates the EVAC command,
• AdvisesATC,
This will be done preferably in this order for a clear understanding by cabin crew.
Note: In the case of an emergency evacuation subsequent to a rejected takeoff, the F/O (instead of the captain) advises the ATC."
I understand all of it except the last note. Why is it different during an evacuation after a rejected takeoff? Why is the FO in this particular case calling ATC?
Thanks in advance, and safe flights everyone!

peekay4
30th Nov 2015, 19:41
My take... in most SOPs only the Captain can call an RTO and the Captain always takes control, with the FO becoming PM.

ATC should be informed of the RTO as soon as practicable, or as the plane comes to a stop (e.g., parking brake set). So this responsibility falls to the FO.

The Captain will be busy talking to CC, assessing if there's fire etc., to prepare if an EVAC is necessary and to ensure the situation is stabilized.

FlightDetent
30th Nov 2015, 19:58
I agree with peekay, and believe that frami actually does too. At the very end of EVAC (my words): ORDER EVAC, tell ATC, and leave*. Finita la música.

Announcing an RTO and advising of EVAC are two distinctly different calls, why would the latter be done by F/O after RTO ... no idea. Certainly in the SIM days I used to have flaslight in one hand and EVAC C/L in the other at that point.

This is the paragraph in question, reference FCTM AO-20 "D" The Emergency Evacuation Procedure. (2013 and 2015 edition)
http://i63.tinypic.com/10z4i2g.png

The ATC bullet point as well as the Note are not present in the older versions of FCTM (2007).

framisalvador
1st Dec 2015, 15:46
Exactly FLightDetent, that was the issue! During the RTO the FO will always call ATC (since the STOP command, CAPT will be PF no matter who was flying before) but that only will be a RTO call..
After full stop, ECAM actions, etc etc...AND if evacuation is required, another call to ATC will have to be made...and why can't this one be done exactly as in any other evacuation?
I guess since the FO did the first call for sure (unlike in any other evacuation where maybe there wasn't a previous call or it may have been CAPT or FO depending on who was PF), Airbus prefers the FO to continue handling ATC comms as FO knows exactly how much info was given in the first call and how much info is left to give...But again, it's only a guess, I really have no clue..
Thanks both for the help. FLightDetent I didn't know it was a relatively new thing on the FCTM...

FlightDetent
2nd Dec 2015, 14:41
I seem to have a certain idea, but it is puzzling somewhat... Anyways, these are the FCOM texts:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2hqh5qh.gif

http://i67.tinypic.com/208fp7q.gif

EGPFlyer
2nd Dec 2015, 16:07
In my company (A320 operator), the Captain always advises ATC during an evacuation