PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle

R200EGNM
17th Jun 2002, 18:52
Hiya,

Quick Q :D

Can someone tell me the ICAO for BA Shuttle flights please? I always thought it was 'SHT' however I have been told recently that they have been changed to 'BAW' to bring it all under the same bannor.

Can someone please confirm that it is still in fact 'SHT' and its NOT due to change in the nr future.

Thanks a lot

R200EGNM

callyoushortly
17th Jun 2002, 19:26
It was definitely SHT when I left work last night!!!
However, in such a fast moving business who knows ;)

WetFeet
19th Jun 2002, 08:31
And thereby lies the confusion.

The strips say SHT but go to Heathrow, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc to check in for the flight and not a SHT in sight, it's all BAW (or is it BA?).

Who cares, as long as the flight we are looking at matches the one on the strip, as long as you can read the labels of course!

Hew Jampton
19th Jun 2002, 16:22
Why do they still call it 'Shuttle' anyway? With no backup aircraft, except possibly at LHR, it isn't a shuttle any more, just a normal scheduled service (unless there's a secret fleet of 111s and Tridents on shuttle backup lurking in hangars at every base). Somebody told me that when they did have backups, the highest paid pilot in BA was a very senior BA11 captain who spent all his time doing the crossword at LHR.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jun 2002, 18:41
Hew.. I think it was a Trident guy actually and the figure I had quoted was £140,000 for the year - and that was way, way back..

callyoushortly
19th Jun 2002, 19:30
wet feet

Just a thought........
Shuttle flights are not shuttle for the punters, just as Loganair flights are BAW and some British Airways flights have the ICAO BRT, the punters know no different and are oblivious to the way ATC works with callsigns different to the flight numbers, under apparently different companies. :D

*confused* you should be!!!! :D

Bigears
19th Jun 2002, 20:15
Callyoushortly, heres another thought......
I'm just getting used to BEE being the designator for 'Jersey', but why don't they change it to 'Beeline' :D
For the kids, Beeline was the RTF for BEA (forerunner of BA, along with BOAC). Wow, makes me feel old having to explain that :(

atco-matic
19th Jun 2002, 20:31
well when JEA changed to BEE, I read in a magazine that they were also supposed to be changing their RTF callsign to ''skywalker'' (rather apprppriate for 146's and dash 8s!) although nothing has ever come of this... anybody enlighten us further??? presumably the boss is a star wars fan!

Patrick Bateman
21st Jun 2002, 12:55
Pretty sure this was a rumour and nothing more.

It started as one of their a/c reg. is G-JEDI.

Gonzo
21st Jun 2002, 14:48
Bigears,

'Beeline' is still used as the RTF callsign for BA aircraft under tow at LHR (one of the hangar complexes is called Beeline Base).

Gonzo.

Crotalus
21st Jun 2002, 18:07
And as the WALKER family are the main (?)shareholders in JEA ....sorry BEE the name Skywalker would seem appropriate ..either way it is a pain in the a$$ and don't get me started on BEE111I what a stupid letter to put on the end!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Spitoon
21st Jun 2002, 18:59
Crotalus, agree completely. Do they really have a 111I? Weren't there a bunch of people a West Drayton who looked out for easily confused callsigns filed for the same time - don't they keep an eye on things like this too? :confused:

BwatchGRUNT
21st Jun 2002, 19:30
They apparently check the codes, just depends on whether or not there are ant failed ATCO's knocking around to fill the seat. They are too busy at the moment checking rosters against leave books against sickness against OCT to reduce all those DIL's for anything safety related to be important - just money, money, money!!!!:rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

Bigears
22nd Jun 2002, 07:38
Gonzo, Thanks for that, well thast that idea binned then :(. Ah nostalgia! :)

No 1
23rd Jun 2002, 02:52
Next time u see SHT7Y on the radar take a closer look, it always says ****y to me!!!!

how about GBL05T looks like GB is lost!!

Nogbad the Bad
23rd Jun 2002, 11:46
Just on an historical note, when Shuttle was first introduced, ICAO were still using two-letter desginators......Shuttle was SH...........

.........One Tango didn't last long :D :D :D

professor yaffle
23rd Jun 2002, 14:35
i recall a SHT 7L (or shuttle semalina)!
a current one is BRT 1TW which caused a titter or 2!!:D

prof