PDA

View Full Version : EU ATC Stike?

falcon10
14th Jun 2002, 20:08
I am planning on travelling to Spain next week. What is the possibility of a general strike during this time? I heard they would not strike, but what is the latest?

thanks.

tangocharlie
14th Jun 2002, 20:12
Wed - French ATC 50% reduction.
Heard some Portuguese/Greek disruption also
Thur - Spanish General Strike.

Good old EU

Don't Look Now
17th Jun 2002, 11:35
The proposed industrial action will take place on the 19th, and will include the Spanish, Portugese, Italians, French and include a work to rule ethos by a lot of other ATC providers.

You mention 'typical' EU in your reply, but do you know the exact causes of this action, No I thought not.

All these controllers, some of whom experience very good working agreements are about to be shafted by a Brussels policy of Functional Blocks of Airspace, where whole european regions will be joined together in the quest for efficiency. The result will be that the Germans for example can bid for soth eastern european airspace controlled for the moment by the Spanish and French. Other controllers may be forced to uproot their families etc. to work elsewhere or lose their jobs.

I have to admit that the ones going on strike, may very well be the ones with the most to lose and perhaps where the most 'savings' can be made (as it is a question of money, first and foremost). France must be, for example, the only country in the world without a shortage of ATCOs, and where they work operationally around 10 days a month, but they, understandably do not want to lose their jobs.

The UK may be less at risk, but still a foreign ATC provider could bid for control of the UK airspace.

Please widen your typical British (here I assume that you are British) attitude that everyone elsewhere in europe are inferior, and imagine if your job was at risk, what would you do???????????:rolleyes:

no sig
17th Jun 2002, 13:02
Sorry it didn't paste too well, but you'll get the gist of it... note this is an update 6, more may follow.

19 JUNE 2002, update 6
EUROPEAN ATC INDUSTRIAL ACTION - PLANNED ACTIONS
STATE Planned action Duration Form of the industrial action

BULGARIA NO Sympathy only. All air traffic operations normal.

CROATIA NO Sympathy only. All air traffic operations normal.

FRANCE YES 0400UTC – 2100UTC (19 June 2002) Minimum service implemented. List of approved flights in/out France (approx. 400 flights in/out France).Overflying traffic affected by 50% capacity restrictions.

GREECE Not yet confirmed

HUNGARY YES 1730UTC-1930UTC (19 June 2002) En-route operations not affected.Budapest airport/TMA capacity reduced by 70%. A total of 8 IFR flights/hour accepted during the industrial action period.

IRELAND NO

ITALY YES(Italian NOTAM A2825/02) 1300UTC-1400UTC (19 June 2002) Minimum service implemented. List of approved flights in/out Italy (to be checked as strike duration is only one hour). Overflying traffic not affected.For further info pls check Italian NOTAM A2825/02.

MAASTRICHT UAC YES 1000UTC-1400UTC (19 June 2002) No impact on the standard capacity, but-no tactical extra capacity on 19 June 2002;-no tactical direct routings.

PORTUGAL YES (PortugueseNOTAMA2376/02) 1000UTC-1400UTC (19 June 2002) Only in Lisbon FIR. No flight in/out Lisbon FIR, except emergency, flight ambulances, military and State aircraft. Overflights accepted on four contingency routes. capacity will be fixed at contingency level: 20. Details in NOTAM A2376/02 issued by Portugal.

SLOVENIA NO(to be further confirmed)

SWITZERLAND NO

SPAIN NO

tangocharlie
17th Jun 2002, 19:38
'Dont look now' I could appreciate your reasoning if there wasn't a strike every year!!

squeaker
18th Jun 2002, 19:51
Will anyone notice if the Italians strike?

TrafficTraffic
18th Jun 2002, 21:25
MAASTRICHT UAC YES 1000UTC-1400UTC (19 June 2002) No impact on the standard capacity, but-no tactical extra capacity on 19 June 2002;-no tactical direct routings.

Ohhhhh is that what constitutes a Strike......I'll have to remember that.

oceanicwanabe
24th Jun 2002, 08:58
can anyone enlighten me as to what action is being taken after the ballot of UK ATCO's?

is there to be a strike and if so when?

thanks