PDA

View Full Version : Nppl question

mad_jock
14th Jun 2002, 16:39
Question for Beagle or anyone else more in the know about how this new system works.

We (aka the school i work at) have just got the AOPA news letter saying we can begin training for the license.

My question is what do we do if we start training someone for the Nppl and then they decide to go for the full JAR ppl.

From a training point of view it is relatively simple just complete the additional hours etc.

From a medical point of view we may already have sent them solo on there "HGV" medical which has been signed off by there GP. Then when they switch courses what happens?

I presume that they won't be allowed any landaway solo trips until they have a class 2.

The only reason why i ask is because i can see a loophole in the JAR PPL pre solo requirements which means that if the student intially says they are NPPL we can get the local retired doctor who is in the building everyday of the week to sign them off, for a couple of beers. Instead of the student going to all the hassel of trying to get a class 2 arranged at short notice.

BTW this isn't an attempt to rock a new system, i just don't want to get my fingers burn't sending a student solo who dosn't have a valid medical.

MJ

BEagle
14th Jun 2002, 19:08
This is the sort of enquiry we expect to be dealing with over the next few months!

As all your training for the NPPL(SEP) will ultimately count towards a JAR-FCL PPL(SEP), just go ahead and train the student with his/her NPPL medical declaration. It is only the licence privileges which are affected by the medical held by the applicant. But the medical declaration is a matter between the applicant and his own GP - not with some old quack who'll sign anything for a couple of beers!

If the applicant can't (or doesn't want to) obtain a JAR Class 2 medical, he/she will be able to exercise the NPPL privileges within the limits of the NPPL medical declaration held.

We will be working with the CAA to define the 'upgrade' route from NPPL(SEP) to JAR-FCL PPL(SEP) once the initial NPPL work is concluded; the CAA have stated that they will agree the level of accreditation as well as the upgrade training and testing required.

So it should be possible for a student to start with gliding, then perhaps microlighting, get a NPPL(Microlight), then add the NPPL SEP rating and then upgrade to JAR-FCL PPL assuming the medical is OK.

Noggin
14th Jun 2002, 20:07
You cannot send anybody solo on the strength of a HGV medical certificate.

Article 22 requires that a student pilot hold a valid medical certificate issued by a person approved by the CAA!

Until such time as there is an ammendment to Article 22 then an HGV certificate issued by any old doc is NBG.

Nobody has actually asked "doctors" if they will sign a HGV certificate for the purpose of flying!

BEagle
14th Jun 2002, 20:44
Yes, Noggin. The ANO amendment has been placed before the privy council and bar any 'preying against', when the NPPL becomes law (end of July) then you most certainly WILL be able to send someone solo with a NPPL medical declaration. Until then though, there is no such thing as a NPPL or its associated medical declaration, so no solo flying training will be legal without at least a JAR Class 2 medical.

Oh - and please check your facts with your colleagues at CAA medical. It is not a 'HGV medical certificate' - it is a declaration made that a person has the same medical standard as would be required for the known DVLA standard.

mad_jock
14th Jun 2002, 22:00
Thanks Beagle I am sure things will all wash out in time.

Will there be some form of briefing pack being sent out to the flying schools?

MJ

BEagle
15th Jun 2002, 05:49
All AOPA Corporate Member RFs and FTOs should have received a circular with brief NPPL details in it; they have also been invited to send not more than 2 pre-registered members to a NPPL Seminar and Briefing at Sywell on 20 Jun. Unfortunately I can't go as I have to nip off to Africa for a couple of days with the day job.

There is a complete, bound NPPL guide soon to be available from AOPA as well as a helpline and e-mail address for more detailed queries. There is also a web page with full documentation to be announced shortly; all documents will be downloadable in .pdf format.

The CAA will issue the NPPL, the cost of which is £131.00 for a lifetime licence, subject to receiving the paperwork from their designated administration agents. These will be National Pilot Licensing Group for all except NPPL(Microlight) which will be administered by the BMAA much as it does currently.

The 'live' date is now expected to be 29 Jul 2002.