PDA

View Full Version : question regarding TRACON & Class D

mattpilot
11th Jun 2002, 17:38
Hi there, i got a question for you ATC guys.

Hypothetically speaking (in case there are any FAA inspectors :cool: ), lets say i'm headed Direct to a Class D primary airport as instructed by TRACON with intentions to land. According to the FAR's a pilot may not enter Class D airspace without prior establishment of 2-way radio contact with the "controlling ATC facility". I am assuming the controlling ATC facility of the Class D airspace is the ATCT of that airport. Correct?

Again, hypothetically speaking, i am headed for that airport and about 1 mile before the Class D boundaries i question the TRACON controller because he hasn't handed me off to the Tower yet. Technically i can't enter Class D airspace because i haven't contacted Tower yet. Correct? Anyhow, Bob the TRACON guy as i call him, just repeated his instructions he gave me before. Fly Direct to the field at 3000ft (100ft below Class D top).

Now the Important question: Do i have to circle outside of Class D airspace until he hands me off or am i to procede as instructed?

The same goes for Class C airspace. I was once instructed to Fly through the Outer shelf of Class C by the TRACON controller. Again, am i to circle outside, fly around, or wait till he hands me off?

I guess the ultimate question is, can a TRACON, or CENTER for that matter, controller give me clearence into other controlled airspace that he actually doesn't control and continue to instruct me in that 'other' airspace; and does talking to one of these controllers fulfill the requirements of the regulations that say i have to establish 2-way radio contact with the "controlling ATC facility" ?

Sorry for making this all confuse :) .

Before i forget, this is a VFR day scenario in the USA.

Thanks for clearing up this issue.

FWA NATCA
12th Jun 2002, 00:49
Matt,

In a Class C, you are being sequenced by approach to the airport so you have permission to enter the Class C, the same thing goes for a Class D if you are being worked by a radar facility to the Class D airport.

Approach should switch you to the tower in sufficient enough time for you to call the tower and receive a landing clearance and or a sequence (in the case of Class D).

If you are overflying a Class C airspace and you are talking with the approach control they you have permission to transition the Class C. If you DO NOT establish 2 way radio communication with the Approach Control facility and you fly through the Class C then you have committed a Pilot Error and you will be expected to contact the facilites airspace that you violated.

Mike R
FWA

Scott Voigt
12th Jun 2002, 01:46
Matt;

As my brother controller from FWA stated you can do those things that he told you. On top of that, as controllers, if you are talking to us and getting advisories, we are supposed to either get permission from the tower owning the class D airspace, or advise you in enough time to remain clear of the class D. If you are landing we will then terminate your service and have you contact the tower. If you are having any issues up in the Tulsa area, just let me know. That is one of the facilities that I am responsible for...

regards

mattpilot
12th Jun 2002, 03:31
Thanks for your help!

It is totally contrary to what my instructor told me when i questioned him about it and i'm glad I didn't take his word for granted.

Thanks again!