PDA

View Full Version : New JAA / FTL ???

GULFPILOT76
11th Jun 2002, 11:59
:confused: Whatever happened to 'subpart Q' as it was called some . . . . .7 years ago? Is the FTL still in the make or fallen off the shelf in a hard landing. Does anyone know:confused:

Nugget90
11th Jun 2002, 18:53
Subpart Q was developed by the JAA (Joint Aviation Authorities) Operations Committee, as it was then called, but never submitted to the JAA Committee for 'adoption' (which would have meant it could then have been placed in JAR-OPS 1 (Commercial Air Transport, Aeroplanes)). Nevertheless, and despite its lack of official 'status', some JAA States have used it as the basis for their 'Specimen Schemes', which they are obliged to publish in accordance with ICAO Annex 6 Part 1.

Then. a few years ago, the European Commission began developing a scheme, but this has proved more difficult than perhaps they realised. Now, more recently, a fresh attempt seems likely to yield a result- but don't hold your breath, for no-one is prepared to say when this is likely to emerge or what it will contain when discussions are complete.

Just to return to Annex 6: the recently reconvened ICAO Operations Panel has been tasked by the Air Navigation Commission to review the Standards, Recommended Practices and Guidelines (Green pages - essentially Attachment A to the Annex), and has begun by proposing a 'beefed up' text for the latter, together with some definitions on which all meaning depends. Again, no time for completion is known, but as this is seen as an important item, there is an element of urgency to get the job done.

In the meantime, for JAA States, it is for their national air safety authorities to prescribe FTL schemes and to approve those submitted by air operator certificate holders.

GULFPILOT76
13th Jun 2002, 14:49
Nugget 90

Thank you for the explanation on this topic.
I lately heard that ECA and the Airlines could not come up with a negotiated settlement and the EU parlement has more or less taken over the responsibility to come up with a result between the two. But this has been going on for at least half a year without any comments from their side. I guess there is no news, but I do wonder if there is a deadline by the EU?
If you hear anything please let me know.

GEENY
13th Jun 2002, 16:46
The 'issue' has been around for donkeys years.The EU Transport commissioner has promissed the solution years ago.If one asks her(via the web) one gets passed to another beaurocrat who never replies.The state limits are hurrendous in Italy(applied by the 'privats') and the AL I fly for is starting to operate scheduled flts Italy-UK in codeshare with Alitalia so pax with Alitalia tickets may find themselves onboard non-Alitalia Airbus flown by the pilots who have been awake for 20 hrs or so.I hope BBC jumps on the issue or UK leaves EU.

Cathar
15th Jun 2002, 08:19
The RETT Committee of the European Parliament will discuss the proposed EC legislation adopting JAR-OPS on Monday. An amendment to add a Sub Part Q to legislation has been proposed. See http://www.europarl.eu.int/meetdocs/committees/rett/20020617/465304en.pdf

GEENY
18th Jun 2002, 09:24
Thanks Cathar,
I am searching the EU sites and can't find if the proposal has been adopted or not.Can you help?

GULFPILOT76
19th Jun 2002, 23:45
:confused: It was a long struggle to read the whole draft, and also 'a bit' confusing to understand all this red tape. Anyway, still I am glad they finally came up with . . . . something. Only the conclusion at the end was discouraging. The ECA was given the blame for a lenghty negotiation by the rapporteur of the EU parliament. I wonder if they ever do 12 hour sessions starting at 23:00 LT. But then, who am I to dare ask.

Cathar
28th Jun 2002, 09:12
GEENY

Apologies for not replying sooner but I've been away. I don't know yet what happened at the RETT Committee but I'll find out. If the Committee have adopted the proposed amendment it will still need to be endorsed by a plenary session of the Parliament and then by the EU Council ( I won't bore you with the full details of the EU co-decision procedure). I understand that there are problems over the cabin crew training provisions in the draft regulation which may prevent it being adopted.

Cathar
1st Jul 2002, 19:04
:( From the RETT committee newsletter http://www.europarl.eu.int/comparl/rett/newsletter/rettnews240602.pdf it looks as though discussions on this issue were deferred until the July meeting.

GEENY
3rd Jul 2002, 08:57
More of the same,really:feet dragging.In the meantime the airlines with pilot contracts like Volare have begun to fly to EU capitals,even LGW.Ignore it,the next thing you are "surplus to requirement".The links to the VLE contract can be found in the Notices.
P.S. The Alitalia pilots are smelling the coffee right now.....

GEENY
12th Jul 2002, 10:51
....maybe:smell the tea?.....