PDA

View Full Version : AMC

BigEndBob
25th Apr 2015, 21:53
Attended seminar this last week.
Took the opportunity to read AMC.
Mention was made of instructors signing off every flight a student records, yet AMC says;

(4) instruction time: a summary of all time logged by an applicant for a licence or rating as flight instruction, instrument flight instruction, instrument ground time, etc., may be logged if certified by the appropriately rated or authorised instructor from whom it was received;

The word 'summary' suggests to me that as in the past signing off at end of the course.

Also somewhere seen mentioned on test that "any manoeuvre or procedure may be repeated once".
Does this now mean a candidate can have two attempts at the PFL?
If I only allow them one attempt, can they go quoting me wherever I saw that.

Whopity
25th Apr 2015, 22:03
If all instruction is given by the same instructor then a single summary would suffice however; where a number of instructors teach the same candidate and each is required to sign for the instruction they have given, it is administratively easier to just sign each entry.

nick14
26th Apr 2015, 18:27
Repeats have always been permitted if in the opinion of the examiner a successful outcome is likely following a repeated manoeuvre. As the above poster has said it's entirely at your discretion. Repeats of one item are not uncommon and can be useful to give a capable candidate the scope for a silly mistake, however if you feel more than one item is unsatisfactory I would suggest partial/fail.

BigEndBob
26th Apr 2015, 19:27
I have always done and lead to believe that only one attempt at the PFL is allowed, it' a one shot attempt.
But does the AMC now change that.

ifitaintboeing
26th Apr 2015, 19:57
There's a section in the FEH which provides guidance on repeat manoeuvres.

CAA FEH 2014 p10:

3.3. Repeat Manoeuvres

3.3.1. At the discretion of the examiner a manoeuvre or procedure of the test or check may be repeated once by the applicant. However, the option to repeat an item is not a right of the applicant. The examiner must use his discretion to ensure the applicant has had every opportunity to demonstrate the necessary skill or technique. Should the examiner consider that the applicant might not have been performing satisfactorily due for example to an external influence or distraction or to not understanding the briefing, then the exercise may be repeated. Notwithstanding the examiner's remit to repeat items he must ensure that any manoeuvre he assesses as a 'fail' is not then repeated.

3.3.2. It is not possible or indeed appropriate to list those items which may or may not be repeated. Normally any simulated emergency procedure should be considered as a ‘one attempt' exercise. If it is mishandled such that the aircraft is in a more hazardous situation than at the start of the simulation or appropriate corrective action has not been taken, the exercise should be found unsatisfactory.

There is also a subtle difference in how repeats are handled for a Skill Test and for a Proficiency Check. See Standards Document 14(A) for current CAA guidance:

Repeat Manoeuvres: At the discretion of the examiner, the applicant may repeat any manoeuvre or procedure of the test or check once. Generally, for skill tests, the examiner should only exercise this option when some external influence or distraction, or perhaps misunderstanding of the brief, unduly affected the applicant's ability to demonstrate the manoeuvre to a satisfactory standard or prevented the examiner from making a fair assessment of the applicant's ability. For proficiency checks, the examiner has more leeway and may broaden the application of repeat manoeuvres. The intention of the proficiency check is to determine the applicant's ongoing proficiency in those skills previously demonstrated for initial issue of the rating but perhaps not recently exercised. Therefore, it may be more appropriate to re-brief in the air and ask the applicant to repeat an item. Should the repeat be unsatisfactory the item must be assessed as failed and re-tested on another occasion as a second attempt. Notwithstanding the examiner's discretion to allow repeats, any unsatisfactory item that warrants retraining with an instructor must be assessed as failed, and retested on another occasion following retraining.

We would consider this as verbal training only during a Proficiency Check for a single repeat; if subsequently unsuccessful or flight training is required then that item is failed.

ifitaint...