PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie ATCs to stopwork

Tacolote
10th Jun 2002, 10:13
This has just come my way and I've put it on the Dunnunder & Godzone page.

Hope this link works.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56034

Tacolote

:( :( :( Sad that it has come to this...

ATCbabe
10th Jun 2002, 18:49
Yip link works :D

Greebson
11th Jun 2002, 09:03
So it takes Aussie ATCOs 11 days to go on strike from the company refusing to improve a pay rise and it takes and it takes us..........?:confused:

Spodman
12th Jun 2002, 22:07
And the other 14 months of negotiation and horsesh!t....

Blockla
13th Jun 2002, 07:47
The stopwork has been called off.

The parties agreed to a timetable for further discussions last night before the Australian Industrial Relations Commission (AIRC).

The outcome is that there is a clear schedule of events and no industrial action shall occur in the next two weeks.

If no agreement is reached then it will proceed direct to Arbitration before the AIRC and no further industrial action will occur over this issue, unless Airservices doesn't come and negotiate in good faith then I understand that we still have some rights.

crazy_bob
27th Jun 2002, 01:41
(reposted from another related forum)

So Long and thanks for all the fish

I am both happy and sad to now have accepted an ATC job offer from overseas.

Happy that I will be leaving the incompetence that is AirServices Management - happy that my new employer seems to treat ATCO's as a profession, happy that the equipment is designed with input from controllers - happy that the company actually negotiates with the contollers union - happy that the controllers make up 70% of the total workforce of the company, not the 35% here. Happy I will be earning 50% more immediately, and 100% more in only 8 years time (I would not even qualify for my starting pay in my overseas job under the system here, and in the 8 years it will take me to reach the best pay level there, I still will have another many more to go here). I am equally happy and disenchanted that all the money AirServices spent training me and all the hours my patient instructors spent with me is well regarded by my new employer, but obviously not of any apparent value to my present employer who has sent my salary backwards and intends to water it down even more and more if it can get away with it. But the new employer has some drawbacks - it doesnt seem to have anywhere near as big a PR department with highly paid Spin Surgeons, and somehow it's pay scales and awards mention the word 'Profession' when referring to Air Traffic Contollers - how on earth could that have snuck in?

I am saddened that during the recruitment interview it was mentioned that the management in my new employer considered it a fait accompli that there will be a lot of Australian accents to keep me company in my new centre soon as they had closely looked at the conditions of employment being offered in Australia and thought the grounds were ripe for picking - they said that they arent even having to do go looking even, as the people are simply calling them! Sad.

I am genuinely sad that I will not be living in what was the best country in the world to bring up a family - the extra money and higher standard of living will not completely compensate me for that...but will probably go a long way.

I am mostly saddened by the fact that the writing is on the wall for AirServices now - it is a corrupt beaureauratic behemoth riding on the back of it's breadwinners, and slowly squeezing them out under the weight of their bloated bellies and pay cheques - at least there will be plenty of accountants in the end to try and number crunch where it all went wrong. The saddest thing is that the controllers are totally professional and unrecognised by their employer (the good news is that you are recognised elsewhere)

Good luck to those of you staying on and your valiant effort at getting your voice heard in the IR negotiations that ASA have so ignorantly avoided - their arrogance is breathtaking - even more breathtaking the lack of interest from the government that owns them and the pathetic media that is supposed to deliver the truth of what goes on.

I know it will not be all greener grass, but on balance it is the right time to say cya later mate.

Oh, and finally to Bernie Smith, Bill Pollard (still with us I hear) and all those who have gone before him......

http://zarbi.chem.yale.edu/~priced/graphics/mickey-finger-sm.jpg

[email protected]

GWYN
30th Jun 2002, 11:39
Ahhhhhhh! So good to hear of another happy EX-Airservices employee!