PDA

View Full Version : Dick Smith Party??

Torres
25th Mar 2015, 23:27
Interesting article in Strewth, todays The Australian suggesting that in utter frustration, Dick may start his own Political Party.

Certainly a new twist in the game of Australian politics!! :E

For those with subscription access:
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=TAWEB_WRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/strewth/see-dick-not-run/story-e6frgdk6-1227278624744&memtype=anonymous)

For those without subscription access, the article follows:

See Dick Not Run

By James Jeffrey, Strewth Editor, The Australian (26.3.2015)

As Dick Smith’s partner in life and adventure, you’d expect Pip Smith would be prepared for the odd surprise.

Nevertheless, she was a bit taken aback at the Salvation Army’s Red Shield lunch in Sydney yesterday when Dick announced to the crowd he’d registered the name Dick Smith Party as part of his quest to bring about reform in the general aviation sector. “She knew nothing about it,” Dick confirmed to Strewth yesterday. “Nothing!” Pip confirmed, packing a remarkable amount of emphasis into two syllables. “No, I didn’t discuss this with her; she would have talked me out of it.”

Smith is, to put it mildly, hacked off with the state of general aviation in Australia, specifically governments that promise to reduce red tape in the sector but end up doing the opposite due to a “bureaucracy that takes no notice” of them. “An industry I love is being unnecessarily destroyed,” Smith says. “I respect the Prime Minister, I like the bloke, but he has to put people in bureaucracy who’ll implement policy.”

Rather prudently, in light of recent events, Smith says he won’t be emulating Clive Palmer. “I won’t run, I won’t be putting any money in it. It will have my name on it and I’ll spend a minimum of 80 hours a week on it.”

Smith says he’ll be looking for energetic “young turks” to run the show. “I’m not going into politics. I’m 71 and exhausted,” he explained to Strewth in typically frenetic tones. So if he won’t be opening his famously generous wallet, where will the money come from? “If people support the party, they’ll donate, won’t they?”

For a Government hell bent on reducing regulation and Red Tape, the Abbott/Truss Government are certainly looking the other way whilst CASA run amok with new Regulation intended to financially break General Aviation.

I don't think the new Director of Air Safety will be anything more than "more of the same".

Flying Binghi
25th Mar 2015, 23:30
April 1st gets earlier every year..:)

Shark Patrol
25th Mar 2015, 23:58
It's already been done ... in England it's called "The Monster Raving Loony Party" :rolleyes:

Ejector
26th Mar 2015, 00:01
Well Mr Palmer will leave a void soon enough that needs filling.

mickjoebill
26th Mar 2015, 00:52
Aviation interests aside, he is an alturustic, self made, hard working, sharp bloke with a passion for Australianism, he has my vote and I suggest the vote of at least a million other folk if the good will that is shown to him when he walks the street is a measure of his popularity.

Go DSP.

Mickjoebill

Torres
26th Mar 2015, 01:01
Senator Nick Xenophon was recently able to stop Civil Aviation regulation, but no one except the Government (that is CASA) have ever been able to initiate new civil aviation legislation or address the ludicrous cost impositions CASA imposes on Australian aviation for no safety gain.

A "Dick Smith Party" sitting on the cross benches may well be able to influence new, far more rational and cost effective aviation legislation.

At the very least, a "Dick Smith Party" certainly can't be any worse than the lunatics and misfits that have occupied the cross benches in recent years.

Captain Dart
26th Mar 2015, 01:05
While his affect on Australian aviation is questionable, I thoroughly applaud his stance on Australia's ever-increasing population.

Enough is enough.

VH-Cheer Up
26th Mar 2015, 01:16
I applaud Dick Smith starting a political party - he could hardly be worse than any of the incumbents. I question, however, his judgement in naming the party after himself. Any party named after an individual seems to be fraught with problems.

Frank Arouet
26th Mar 2015, 01:51
I once put forth an invitation to all people on PPRune who have been financially hurt by our regulatory system to form a class action. In this invitation I provided a pre arranged file number from Slater and Gordon and invited people to contact me via PM if they wished to remain anonymous and I would supply the initial executive summary/ information on their behalf for follow up later if a common thread were identified.
A large number contacted me and I advised a common theme needed to be identified. Eventually Slater and Gordon advised they wanted some cash up front because no theme was forthcoming. Nobody had any money or if they did they didn't want to speculate with it.

From this came the embryo of an idea to pool resources and begin a 'Nemesis group' to hold the regulator to task.

Guess what! It took 3 months of arguing about what to name the show. And in true 'alpha male' style, agendas clashed, personalities clashed, directions clashed and the show fell apart into various individual groups. A couple were involved with and advised Senate and statutory investigations and a review. I've no doubt they will feature in upcoming reinvestigations.
However, without any help from the regulatory authorities we became 'divided' and they still continue to 'rule'.

Everyone has noted calls for a small interest group to form a political party to get into The Senate. Now when someone puts up the framework to do so we get 50% 'Dick bashing' 10% reporting and 40% wondering what to call the Party because maybe we don't all like Dicks name being up front.

Now you know why I've given up and gone sailing.

Fight you bastards.

BNEA320
26th Mar 2015, 03:10
you actually don't need many votes to get into the senate as proven by current cross benches who only actually received a handful of votes.

Who knows, could end up with the balance of power. That would be VERY interesting.

chimbu warrior
26th Mar 2015, 04:22
he is an alturustic, self made, hard working, sharp bloke with a passion for Australianism

100% correct, and unlike some of the other people in politics, Dick would be seeking to pursue important issues, not personal gain.

We need more like him.

neville_nobody
26th Mar 2015, 04:50
The problem is getting quality candidates to run for him. Unfortunately these days the general quality of those running for public office is nothing on what it used to be.

upset jet
26th Mar 2015, 06:07
QF better get the china eastern tie up thru quickly!

cattletruck
26th Mar 2015, 11:22
Had he called it "The Aviation Party", or even sexed it up with "The Cloud 9 Party" I doubt he would get much traction. Dick Smith is an Australian icon and the name conjures up positive images of adventure, going the extra yard, supporting Australia, and having a go. "The Dick Smith" party will leverage off that image and we will be the better for it.

But honestly I think the GA pains have been around for so long that if the costs of bureaucracy are finally reduced then GA won't pass that on to its clients but rather use to take a deep breath from the industry and enjoy a hot lunch after a very long, long time.

Now if only Dick's name was Britney Spears or Kim Kardashian, we'd have it made - sign of the times.

BNEA320
26th Mar 2015, 21:08
Kim who ?

seriously the media would have a field day ...

eg. I want Dick (guess no such thing as bad publicity)

bit like the Leggos pasta sauce advert.

"mum comes home & spreads the Leggos"

BNEA320
26th Mar 2015, 21:10
the country needs someone like Dick Smith calling the shots.

It would be great if he had the balance of power in the senate.

Common sense might prevail.

At present, most Australians think the gravy train will never end, while the country is worse than broke.

Pinky the pilot
27th Mar 2015, 03:33
We could do worse! There are times when I think that the regulator sees that its sole purpose is to destroy GA through excessive regulation and bureaucracy.:ugh:

God knows that major change is needed. If anyone can think of anyone else who could have some effect in the corridors of power; well, let's hear some names.

VH-Cheer Up
27th Mar 2015, 03:38
Nobody is suggesting this is a single issue, GA-focused or even aviation-focused party, are they?

I understood his announcement came out of his frustration on a number of issues, particularly the fact that, according to ATO statistics, so very few people with declared personal income in excess of $1M p.a. made any kind of charitable donations.

camber3
27th Mar 2015, 04:15
I've heard it's a party to address the country's sustainability problem worsened by population growth levels, lack of foresight in planning, plus reduction in beaurocratic red tape. I'm sure there's probably more stuff I'm missing. So it's seems to be based around future sustainability, efficiencies - common sense stuff.

Can we start with the asic. It doesn't make sense to me why all pilots are not automatically screened, why are these systems not interfaced to alert authorities of anyone that raises a red flag- before the 2 year renewal arises. Why are these systems charging a fee for a process that should be automated.

Stanwell
27th Mar 2015, 05:07
Some years back, I had the pleasure to have a relaxed half-hour chat with Dick, discussing his then new B206.
I came away pretty impressed with the man.

Flygirl__37
27th Mar 2015, 06:07
He will get my vote...... GA is slowly being crippled and we need someone like him to stand up and make a difference.

Good on Ya Dick!

Ascend Charlie
27th Mar 2015, 07:06
Why not bring Uncle Kingsford's name into it? That would definitely carry some aviation clout. He was an inveterate drunkard so that would fit in well in parliament.

When I hear that CA$A has taken the VFG off the net and is now requiring people to BUY it and cart the weight around instead of just having a few squillion electrons buzzing around the iPad, it burns me up. Then they require carriage of a piece of paper from your employer stating that you are properly trained.

Watch what they do in the wake of the French Alps, you will all need Psych tests before every flight. But a Dick in parliament might be able to roger such a proposition. Go for it, Dick!:ok:

thorn bird
27th Mar 2015, 10:42
Well guys, say what you like But...

25 years or so ago CAsA began their "regulatory Reform" project.
25 Years and $250 Million Dollars later we have Part 145, Part 61, Part 135 to come. There were people warning people, way before these pieces of crap legislation became law, that the industry better sit up and take notice, because this was serious Sh.t and could mean the end of the industry.
Did Anyone Listen????Let alone get off their asses and do anything, except argue amongst themselves?

We have witnessed our secondary airports flogged to property Sharks utilizing corrupt immoral practices. There were people warning that without objection our airports would disappear. Primary Airports have become the biggest tax dodge in history and get voted the worlds worst year on year, and our secondary's are slowly being chewed to death by circling property sharks...too much money, no control, no objection, and rampant corruption. Any dissenting voices?...talk about the silence of the lambs!!

In recent times we have CAsA begging the Govn. for funds...Fuel levee is the answer to raise $90 million to employ extra front line personnel. Were any employed?? Na, but a bunch of managers and consultants were.

The levee has not been rescinded, so their still raking it in, but now CAsA want and extra $25 Million via dodgy service charges. That is a service charge for services that are entirely unnecessary, that serve no "Safety" function, merely swell CAsA's coffers.

Just how much can Industry absorb??

We have absorbed $170 million or so in costs to be the "First in the world" to mandate ADSB compliance. All to advance CAsA CEO's nomination to the highest rank in ICAO. Save the government a vast sum for radar replacement and ensure ASA exec's got a nice little bonus.
We have absorbed the imposition of completely, incompetently formulated, inane regulations.

Did we hear long and loud complaints for what would appear blatant corruption??..not a squeak.

Wow I'm glad I'm at the end of it. I really despair for the young people coming through. There is no hope for them. Their efforts are for nought.
What a waste of recourses, time, energy and enthusiasm.

Good on you dick, no one else has had the balls to upset the apple cart, your critics speak with empty voices, at least you have shown the courage to promote your convictions and I applaud you.

Hempy
27th Mar 2015, 12:39
Dicks having a party? Let me guess; it's BYO grog, food is 'Aussie sourced' but cooked in the USA (worlds best practice, don't you know), and entertainment provided by 'Flying Skull and the NAS orchestra'. Think I'm washing my hair that night..

Square Bear
27th Mar 2015, 12:58
Believe the current Xbenchers are:

Senators: Day, Lambie, Lazzarus, Leyonhjelm, Muir, Wang & Xenophon.

With the exception of SEN Xenophon, I'd have Mr D. SMITH over those.

LeadSled
27th Mar 2015, 14:18
Hempy,
You really are a miserable sod, aren't you.
Perhaps a good example of why Australian aviation is in the state it is in.
Tootle pip!!

Hempy
27th Mar 2015, 15:02
Perhaps a good example of why Australian aviation is in the state it is in.
Nah, that'd be 'your mate'...

triadic
28th Mar 2015, 06:39
Please chaps.... Can we stay on topic?

Dick Smith
30th Mar 2015, 04:01
Philby, Burgess and Maclean in the Aviation Bureaucracy?

camber3 – you are basically correct when you state,

“I've heard it's a party to address the country's sustainability problem worsened by population growth levels, lack of foresight in planning, plus reduction in bureaucratic red tape”.

About a year ago the people involved in the Sustainable Population movement asked me if I would lend my name to a political party they were setting up. Their pretty thorough research had shown that they would get a couple of senators up if they had my name tied-up with their Party. I refused because I believe having more and more political parties is a disaster for our country – especially considering that some of them seem to be pretty loopy.

However, times have changed and I’m so bloody angry at the way the present Government is destroying general aviation – an industry I love.

Yes, I can assure you I can afford all the extra costs of Part 61 and just about everything else they throw at me. However, for me to walk around Bankstown Airport and see the hangars locked-up of businesses that were once thriving makes me feel sick.

I have been “duchessed” for the last fifteen years by people in the bureaucracy. In fact, I am beginning to feel that within the aviation bureaucracy is Philby, Burgess and Maclean. Remember after World War 2 the British and American intelligence services could not work out why, despite an enormous amount of work, they could get nowhere in the espionage game. Of course it was because these three and others within their organisations were undermining everything they do.

No, I am not suggesting there is a “traitor” or “communist supporter” within the bureaucracy, but I think there are at least three people who have been there for years and have deluded themselves into believing that no changes are necessary. This delusion has become so overpowering that they do everything they can to stop the move to reducing costs.

And they are successful. We have a Government that said they are going to reduce unnecessary costs and red tape when clearly the opposite is happening in aviation.

Yes, the substantial interest of mine is the fact that politicians tell us we can have perpetual growth forever in our economic system when anyone with any brains knows this is impossible. We have to actually live in balance.

Of course any party with the name “Dick Smith” this will be the major issue. In other ways it will be very much middle-of-the-road as I am. However, if they are going to use my name I will make sure they have a damn good aviation policy including that of the Coalition two elections ago, viz

Australia will become a leader in the world in flight training and recreational aviation bringing tens of millions of dollars of overseas export income to Australia.

Of course, this would all be completely solved and I would not have to lend my name to a party if the Government did what it said it was going to do, but for some incredible reason I don’t see this happening.

To see the locked-up hangars at Bankstown storing junk and knowing that tens of thousands of jobs could be provided around Australia is nothing short of criminal as far as I am concerned.

The Philbys, Burgesses and Macleans may have deluded themselves into deriving some form of satisfaction but they have certainly been successful in undermining an otherwise viable industry.

Ozdork
30th Mar 2015, 05:42
So how do we join Dick?

triadic
30th Mar 2015, 06:29
Well said Dick. We can only hope there is some traction. We sure do need it....:D:D

thorn bird
30th Mar 2015, 08:13
:D:D:D:D

Bravo Dick!! Bravo!!

Have you been to New Zealand recently? Aviation is now their second biggest contributor to GDP, not bad for a country with a population less than Sydney.

Regulation has destroyed our manufacturing industry and anything else that is a regulated industry, unions helped, but over regulation was by far the biggest killer. OH&S will ultimately destroy our mining industry, leaving only our service industry, which surprise, surprise, requires some sort of service
"At a Price" which cannot be delivered with our penalty rates.

Australia is already overpopulated, we will run out of water by 2030, look at the demographics, by 2050 Australia will be a Muslim State.

tail wheel
30th Mar 2015, 10:45
I drove through Archerfield Airport today. Unless one is in the market for a heavy earthmoving machine, a car battery or a plethora of other non aviation goods and services, the aviation industry is not even a shadow of the activity it was twenty or thirty years ago. I suspect airport charges and regulatory costs have decimated general aviation.

The Philby, Burgess, Maclean and Crabb cohort at CASA and the FAC and subsequent airport privatisation left general aviation and flying training in a state of near rigor mortis.

Soteria
30th Mar 2015, 23:31
Australia is already overpopulated, we will run out of water by 2030, look at the demographics, by 2050 Australia will be a Muslim State.Perhaps CASA will also be gifted the task of regulating 'water' and 'religion' as well? If so that means neither will exist beyond 2020!

BNEA320
31st Mar 2015, 01:18
Is Islam a religion ? In name only (& tax benefits) just like Scientology.

Why doesn't ATO crack down on these obvious scams ?

At ease
31st Mar 2015, 04:39
Is Islam a religion ?

Of course it is.

It is the religion of peace. :rolleyes:

tpad
31st Mar 2015, 04:56
Thorn Bird said

"Have you been to New Zealand recently? Aviation is now their second biggest contributor to GDP, not bad for a country with a population less than Sydney."

Sadly Thorn Bird, New Zealand aviation is not immune to the PC garbage that has invaded so much of our lives.

Last week the NZCAA were advertising for an Aviation Policy Adviser.

"Hmm," I thought. "41 years in the business, that might be me."

Downloaded the job spec, read three pages of HR Newspeak which culminated in ( literally ) the bottom line which said,

"An interest in aviation is desirable "

The position is aimed at a uni graduate with "three years experience in public policy making."

The HR waffle banged on about establishing relationships with stake-holders in Airlines, Airways et al. Apparently it is not necessary to have any knowledge of the game to discuss policy with the people at the top of the industry.

"An interest in aviation is desirable " .... says it all really.

Frank Arouet
31st Mar 2015, 07:05
QUOTE "An interest in aviation is desirable "QUOTE

Somewhat toward "fostering and encouraging" which is more than anyone this side of the ditch will ever see. I believe I is written mantra in US aviation regulation. Pity we don't have the political or industry will to force this upon the regulation makers here.

Duplication of the NZ or PNG rules would be a good start. That would give time to run a parallel regulatory repeal of the current mess which is still a dogs breakfast after nearly 30 years.

However I think Dick is attempting to cover a plethora of righting wrongs in everything from food production, immigration, trade and probably aviation.

And good luck to him.

The name is Porter
31st Mar 2015, 09:36
I'm tipping that aviation in NZ is not the golden pond you all think it is. I'd like to hear from:

A Flying School.

A Private Pilot.

An Experimental Owner.

A Charter Organisation.

A small RPT airline.

Is it better over there?

TwoFiftyBelowTen
31st Mar 2015, 09:51
They have the PAC750XL which seems to be selling as fast as they can make them.
We have zilch, thanks to India now owning GippsAero, and looking for somewhere else to take the manufacturing plant.

The name is Porter
31st Mar 2015, 10:01
Have you flown one :ugh:

Fonz121
31st Mar 2015, 12:50
Australia is already overpopulated, we will run out of water by 2030, look at the demographics, by 2050 Australia will be a Muslim State.

Congratulations on stupidest post of the year so far.

Stanwell
31st Mar 2015, 18:38
I quietly share your anger, Dick.

OldMate1
1st Apr 2015, 21:25
It’s great he can take time out from his normal job raving and screaming about Air Traffic at Williamtown to start a Party. I’m sure he’d get a lot of votes from military controllers...

BNEA320
1st Apr 2015, 23:49
you don't need many votes to get a senate seat.

Didn't one of the cross benchers get a measly 1,000 votes but did preference deals ?

Dick Smith
3rd Apr 2015, 00:42
Oldmate. I sold my property on the North Coast primarily because I know more people will be killed because of the Williamtown airspace.

Despite many offers to pay for military people to go overseas and see how airspace can operate with minimum holding not one was taken up.

The " we know it all " syndrome exists.

Look at the Super Seasprite $1.4 B loss- and not one military person held responsible.

Yes. You all protect each other and resist change- but how long before more unnecessary deaths?

hiwaytohell
3rd Apr 2015, 01:21
You are right there Dick.

As for military procurement... every program has been ripe with egos and incompetence... and dare I say soft corruption.

Once they get out there are far too many ex military "know it alls" that get appointed to positions of power or influence in civil aviation in Australia.

For a start look at CASA & Airservices!

Then the Government advisers... look at how many ex military are advising the Commonwealth and State Governments, particularly in areas like industry, trade and investment.

BNEA320
3rd Apr 2015, 01:26
+ might vote 10 times (it's very easy to vote multiple times & not get caught-unionists have been doing it for decades)

The name is Porter
3rd Apr 2015, 04:52
Oldmate, so Dick is not allowed to comment on sub standard procedures & performance? Who cares if ex RAAF don't vote for you? What's the percentage of ex RAAF voting in any electorate? (besides the Newcastle area?)

My opinion, Straight out of the RAAF, are RAAFies the best equipped to be making decisions in real world economics & civil procedures?

You've got my vote Dick (and any help I could provide in the setup) I'd be interested to know if you've looked at Malcolm Frasers work?

glenb
3rd Apr 2015, 21:37
Hey Guys and Gals,

This is a great forum for open debate. Not trying to force my opinion on anyone, but food for thought.

For those of you around their 50s or older, you will have grown up with Dick Smith. Those stores with his caricature on the front. It was an honest "easy to identify with" brand. He grew. He shared his wealth. Of course he was financially secure. He could direct his money out through his extended family. However he chose to make very very significant donations to organisations that benefitted the most disadvantaged Australians. He is a genuine and passionate human being. I suggest we only know a portion of his contributions he has made. The only publicity he seeks is a greater awareness of the Organisation he is supporting.

He is passionate about this Industry. He was the Head of CASA for a period of time. I hope I have my facts correct here, but my recollection is that he did it for $1 a year. This experience alone, gives him enormous credibility.

He started Dick Smith Electronics from a Garage, if I am correct. He has "Small Business" experience, and he has large Corporation experience as his business grew.

He is a fixed wing and helicopter pilot, and has made some World Record achievements in those aircraft.

He is passionate about Australian Made and has worked tirelessly to promote it. He is passionate about a sustainable population. He is a committed family man with strong Australian principles.

Im not affiliated with him and I have only ever had a conversation with him on a couple of occasions. He is in my opinion a very modest person, and isn't going to go singing his own praises. Research him thoroughly and you will be impressed.

For the first time in Aviation for many many decades, we have an opportunity to get 100% behind someone absolutely committed to Aviation and General Aviation. Someone genuinely passionate about a range of issues that effect every single Ppruner.

He REALLY can do this. We saw it at the last election. I suggest as he gains traction the Media and other interests not aligned with our own, will go trawling through sites such as this looking for ammunition.

An absolutely united, supporting and enthusiastic portrayal of our Industry would be a wonderful thing. I hope we can pull it off. Lets have a red hot crack at it ay?

The name is Porter
3rd Apr 2015, 22:19
Too true Buckers, I'm going to contact Dick. I'd like to be involved. Some of the senate independents have put a stop to some truly idiotic and stupid proposals put forward by the unrepresentative swill in the house of reps. Dick could make a real difference here.

dr dre
4th Apr 2015, 01:28
As for military procurement... every program has been ripe with egos and incompetence... and dare I say soft corruption.

Once they get out there are far too many ex military "know it alls" that get appointed to positions of power or influence in civil aviation in Australia.

For a start look at CASA & Airservices!

Then the Government advisers... look at how many ex military are advising the Commonwealth and State Governments, particularly in areas like industry, trade and investment.

Too true, and maybe someone could have a look at this information, and see whether our taxpayer dollars are being spent in the right places?:

Australia is now world's sixth-largest arms importer | Australia news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/apr/03/australias-arms-imports-surge-after-costly)

Ie: if we spent $xxx less on submarines, at how many major airports could we get a CAT III ILS system installed?

thorn bird
4th Apr 2015, 08:42
dr dre,

To an extent I believe you are correct, however with defense spending I believe they need to get rid of the middle men to make defense spending affordable, which could release funds for civil use.
As an example, my company was contracted to supply a service for the defense department through a third party. We discovered after the event that by the time it actually reached defense our price had more than doubled. I believe this is the norm rather than the exception and just one of the reasons why I accept a previous ministers statement that we couldn't build a canoe let alone a submarine.
"Soft" corruption is the norm in OZ from CAsA to defense, if Dick is prepared to take on these people he has my vote.

Lookleft
4th Apr 2015, 23:25
truly idiotic and stupid proposals put forward by the unrepresentative swill in the house of reps.

I'm not sure if you are making a joke but I laughed anyway, thats what Paul Keating called the Senate when he was PM.

The name is Porter
5th Apr 2015, 02:16
Yep, a joke based on Paul Keating's comments! ;)

megle2
5th Apr 2015, 09:19
Mark in my vote, may well be the industries last chance
Nothing else seems to have worked

Pinky the pilot
5th Apr 2015, 11:11
I'm in.
If it all still falls in a heap, well at least we tried!

And as for the 'unrepresentative swill' comment: Re the Senate; The powers of Heaven have been shaken to the core.:eek: Because for the very first time I find myself in full agreement with former PM Paul Keating!:ooh::ooh:

I think I'd better open another bottle of Red. Nerves need steadying, don'tcha know.:=

Ultralights
5th Apr 2015, 11:40
WTF would an ex RAAF anything know about real world economics or procedures?

everything you can know about it... just ask them. (and its not just Ex Raffies, its ex pussers and grunts as well)

Arm out the window
5th Apr 2015, 22:13
My opinion, WTF would an ex RAAF anything know about real world economics or procedures?

Jeez mate, nothing, that's how we ran and grew a successful business for 10 years or so when I got out.

Popgun
6th Apr 2015, 02:24
However, if they are going to use my name I will make sure they have a damn good aviation policy...

Bring it on Dick, you'll have my vote.

:ok::ok::ok:

PG

Toruk Macto
6th Apr 2015, 07:30
Team up with Nick X .

robsrich
14th Apr 2015, 02:08
AHIA strengthens regulatory review capability.

President, Peter Crook, has replaced the long running AHIA Part 61 Review Committee with a more robust AHIA Regulatory Review Team to assist CASA integrating CASR Part 61 – Flight Crew Licensing into other draft legislation. At Avalon Airshow 2015, CASA advised the helicopter industry, “there are 12 helicopter relevant Flight Operational Rule - standards development projects underway at the moment?”

The Part 61 Review Committee advised the AHIA Board new legislation now being offered for comment by the regulator often relied on CASR Part 61 as a foundation. It was further stated if Part 61 was allowed to run with unworkable and disputed elements; then the pending more advanced (and expensive) legislation associated with the heavy helicopter fleet would suffer excessive costs for compliance when no safety benefit can be determined by a cost benefit analysis. The latter is a federal government requirement.

Crook told the AHIA Board industry must be encouraged to be aware of the ‘domino effect’ of faulty overlapping rules. For example, the recent release by CASA of their draft fees was welcome and is still open for comment; the industry needs to recheck other draft legislation to see what efficiencies are lost or gained. The recent AHIA Quarterly Report – January to March 2015, indicated grave concerns for the future of the regulatory processes; which if not reviewed and corrected, will cause a retraction in the aviation industry in 2016/2107. The last ATPL being issued in September 2014 and the associated hiccup with Multi Crew Coordination Training are two examples forcing desperate candidates to seek overseas training facilities.

It is anticipated AHIA Regulatory Review Team will take over from the Part 61 committee on Monday 4 May 2015. More info: [email protected].

Flying Binghi
15th Apr 2015, 07:30
via Dick Smith #31:
...any party with the name “Dick Smith” this will be the major issue. In other ways it will be very much middle-of-the-road as I am. However, if they are going to use my name I will make sure they have a damn good aviation policy including.....

Hmmm... so aviation is but one part. What else ? :ooh:

The global warming nonsense has cost Australia dearly. What will a Dick Smith Party do to stop the money wasting global warming hysteria ?

Shagpile
15th Apr 2015, 08:45
What's with all the RAAF bashing ?

I'm current serving and also small business owner. Just like any organisation there are good people and others that inhibit progress.

In general, the RAAF has very good people in leadership positions. They are just at the mercy of 'the procedure'. Even CAF recently said if he wants something to fail he sends it through the normal procedure; his answer is 'Plan Jericho' which aims to streamline the RAAF into a 5th gen force and use all the new shiny toys properly. A recent govt review has indicated DMO should be scrapped (or rebadged - let's see where that goes).

As for 'know it all', yes mostly it's just misunderstanding. I've heard some massive misunderstandings. For example nobody knows how to operate a piston engine. Not their fault. The reverse also applies. A lot of people I speak to have no idea what the military does and how complex an 8hr anti submarine sortie can get - it goes both ways. People are good at what they're taught. There are smart people in the RAAF and smart people outside. Just because somebody is taught something different doesn't mean they aren't qualified to run another organisation. Maybe they bring a fresh perspective.

PinkusDickus
15th Apr 2015, 23:17
I would welcome the opportunity to vote Dick Smith into a Senate spot, but without "gaming the system" as Lambie and Muir et al did, he would not succeed.

Then again, if he did "game the system" and subsequently win, for ever after he would be pilloried by the leftist press.