PDA

View Full Version : Instructing in the U.S

sam white
5th Jun 2002, 18:27
:rolleyes:
Can anyone answer a question.
i am just finnishing my ATPL Ground school, and am booked for CPL/MEIR.
When i finnish and get that well deserved peice of paper that says i am employable, i am thinking of packing myself off to the states.

Can i get a green card to work as a JAA instructor at a JAA school in the states??

or

Is it easy to convert my JAA CPL for an FAA one, and does it makes sence to do that, then get an FAA instuctors rating instead of a JAA one???

Any answers would be most apprieciated.
I dont know who else to ask.

slim_slag
5th Jun 2002, 21:09
Can i get a green card to work as a JAA instructor at a JAA school in the states??

No. Unless you marry a Yank. Some would say that is too high a price to pay :D :D

Is it easy to convert my JAA CPL for an FAA one

It's easy to convert a JAA CPL to a FAA PP-ASEL.

To do the FAA CPL you need to get your FAA IR (no big deal, the thing that gets most people is the 50 hours XC) then take the CPL multi guess/oral/check ride. You need 250 hours total time for the CPL, plus some other minor things.

You can get a FAA CPL without an IR but it's heavily restricted.

and does it makes sence to do that, then get an FAA instuctors rating instead of a JAA one???

You will not be able to work in the US as an instructor without a green card/passport.

sam white
6th Jun 2002, 15:51
Thanks Slim_Slag.
I am not sure a green card is the right word, I have no intention of making it a permanent move, I would be after a working visa for a couple of years.
The JAA are putting pressure on JAA schools in the U.S. to have JAA instructors, so i figure that gives me a 'Trade' that another U.S. instructor doesnt have, thus maybe making an application for the visa more viable.
If anyone else out there in the land of the free (or over here), has any other advise i would be gratefull to hear it.

Having spent a whole bundle of money on my frozen ATPL i want to be sure before spending more on an instructors rating.
:rolleyes:

sam white
6th Jun 2002, 15:53
Oh i forgot.....
..................Plus there a girl out there.
(my reasons are good!);)

slim_slag
6th Jun 2002, 16:46
Hi Sam,

I would be after a working visa for a couple of years.

You are not going to get a standard "working visa" (and I guess you mean something like an H1), as flight instruction isn't considered a professional job, and there is no shortage of CFI applicants with the right to work in the US.

There is the J1 visa which lets you work as a CFI for a year or so after you have paid a US flight school to get a FAA CPL/CFI, but not sure whether this applies to you as you already have a CPL. You should ask somebody who knows.

The JAA are putting pressure on JAA schools in the U.S. to have JAA instructors, so i figure that gives me a 'Trade' that another U.S. instructor doesnt have, thus maybe making an application for the visa more viable.

You would have to get the INS to buy into that, and I would guess that would be an uphill struggle. This sounds more like a backdoor way for the JAA to shut down the US competition, but I am a cynic.

Plus there a girl out there.

Well, you could always marry her :), a bit drastic if you ask me.

Most CFIs here are waiting to move on to the airlines, and until the airlines start hiring they will be holding onto their current jobs, so no new openings. Plenty of US citizen CFI's doing the rounds of the flight schools, dropping off their cvs, and not getting anywhere. Right now it's tough for everybody, I don't think Europeans are going to find this the 'land of opportunity' for some time to come. It's bad all over, methinks.

sam white
6th Jun 2002, 19:39
Slim_Slag,
Thanks again, sound advice. (the marriage thing especially!)
For others that are interested i have found out that........

To work over in the States (as a CFI), a J1 Visa (that is only issued if you are commencing training with a U.S organisation) is necessary, And that as a JAA instructor, you can't instruct (even in a JAA school) in an 'N' reg. a/c. so you would need an FAA license anyway.

Oh well, does any one one know any nice girls not in the U.S.!!???
:p

SPRINTING RABBIT
8th Jun 2002, 10:35
Hi guys,
As far as I remember from last year, when I spent 6 months in Florida getting my FAA CPL IR, American Flyers in Pompano and Britannia Flight Centre were both taking on European 'student' Flight Instructors. It seemed as long as the guys were working towards their ATPL whilst instructing, they would qualify for the J1 visa and were paid by the flight school a decent wage (certainly AmFlyers in the region of $800 a month). It was something I was looking at, but bear in mind they pay Euro FIs a lot less than their Yank counterparts.
It may have all changed but I would say its worth dropping them a line.:cool:
ttfn
SR

slim_slag
8th Jun 2002, 16:28
but bear in mind they pay Euro FIs a lot less than their Yank counterparts.

What is the basis for this? You cannot pay an 'alien' less than a 'citizen'. This is to ensure 'aliens' do not undercut the home job market, and employers do not employ non citizens (at the expense of citizens) to save money. There are also Fed laws coming into play here, you cannot discriminate on the basis of national origin. I would say that paying less is definite discrimination, the lawyers would love that one.

Are you saying these do not apply if you are here on a J1 visa? What would the INS have to say about this?