PDA

View Full Version : Name one thing that would improve morale at NERC

Henrietta Horsebox
5th Jun 2002, 01:01
I am NATS' guardian angel. I can grant you one wish that would - in your opinion - improve morale at Swanwick. Or NATS in general.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jun 2002, 07:13
An 18-year old blonde trainee who couldn't leave my body alone - preferably female.

TrafficTraffic
5th Jun 2002, 07:52
What if I was that Trainee???

;)

Red Four
5th Jun 2002, 08:50
Serco to take over NATS?

Minesapint
5th Jun 2002, 09:14
Ok. Lets get away from the science fiction of 18 year old trainees and traffic traffic working for NATS.

How about management? Any changes there?

Provide bedrooms for resting up on nights?

How about putting someone in charge of improving morale at LACC. Make it a programme lasting 12 months. NOT an ATCO/ATSA/manager/Union bod(s), but someone capable to form teams to get all the problems into the open and with no axe to grind themselves, come up with sensible solutions provided by staff and his/her own team.

Extract courtesy "Janet & John do Management 101".:cool:

ZIP250
5th Jun 2002, 10:27
Let's try closing the ORO and giving rostering back to the watches who will do it for free.

Z:)

torpids
5th Jun 2002, 11:52
New management. Oh, and a new union that represents the interests of members, not management. Sorry, that's two.

Nogbad the Bad
5th Jun 2002, 11:59
How about sacking.....yes sacking... those "Managers" responsible for the low morale ??

2 six 4
5th Jun 2002, 13:53
Re-nationalisation

eyeinthesky
5th Jun 2002, 17:47
Better local management which means competent LASs (not just ATCO1s withe the personality and management skills of a baboon), proper management of flow, and proper staffing which means we do not spend the whole day firefighting.

In short: competent management you might expect in any half-decent company. We, however, have none of these..

Minesapint
5th Jun 2002, 18:26
Could this mean that numbers of watch 'management' may not be ATCO's in future? Would that affect morale further by reducing career progression?

What would you want 'new management' to do - list 5 changes that you would have a new broom make.:)

Bombay Bad Boy
5th Jun 2002, 18:42
NATS improvements for morale wish list ....

1) New union that knows how to negiotiate.

2) Airport 2000 part III video to be included in every units ECT.

3) State of the Art Headsets so that when any poxy telesales rep comes for a look around they dont laff at our Dinosaur technology.

4) Office world and other furniture catalogues to be banned from NATS units near end of financial year, thus stopping managements around the country refurbishing their offices with that little wedge of cash leftover.

5) NATS valetting service introduced so that your £23K Audi TT doesnt gather too much film of aviation fuel when parked at the staff car park for a full cycle ( sorry Nerc... not for YOU!)

6) Complementary Pot Noodle Machine instead of unless coffee machine which was sold to airports by some genius saleman (now retired to Maldives courtsey of NATS).

Oooooh please Angel grant any one of my wishes xxxxx

Asda
5th Jun 2002, 18:48
If we're talking about Swanwick and all the blonde trainees are already sitting on my sectors and Mr. Everitt has just drawn up outside with a large suitcase stuffed with used £50s, then,

it has to be the removal of ORO from any sort of decision making process, be it rostas, leave, TRUCE, assignment of night shifts, the lot. It has to stop.

Crotalus
5th Jun 2002, 19:30
I worry that HD only wants the trainee to be "preferably female":eek: :eek: :eek:

atco-matic
5th Jun 2002, 21:42
Three steps to heaven(from a NERC point of view)...

1. Get rid of the ORO and bring rostering back to the watches.
3. Use the money saved to redesign the windows on the radar displays so that we can actually read them without problem.
2. Offer the ORO jobs as extra staff to keep the canteen and sandwich bar open from/ until the same hours as West Drayton(that should please them!):D

Doesn't take a genius to work that out... does that make NATS management a bunch of Einsteins or not? I can't quite work that one out!:)

Edited for stupidity

Findo
6th Jun 2002, 11:12
How about senior management recognising that it is not only Swanwick that has problems ?

PEAWEE
8th Jun 2002, 19:06
If they can't see the problems staring them in the face at NERC, what hope do the smaller units have. There needs to be a radical shake up of management, so that the problems that are all to often highlighted get dealt with swiftly and efficiently and not ( "I HEAR WHAT YOUR SAYING" ) ignored.

Wish list.
- To be valued as an ATCO who works Bl#*dy hard day in day out.
- And rewarded sufficently for that fact, with people who can roster, and a salary to reflect.

not a lot to ask !?!?
:confused: :mad: :p

Crotalus
8th Jun 2002, 19:42
Just curious...but should this thread not be on Nats private site?

roger
8th Jun 2002, 19:55
Crotalus

We definitely need out -side help on this one.

Besides, what would you be doing now if it was?

Roger

Direct HALIFAX
8th Jun 2002, 20:45
Don't just blame our immediate management - they have constraints too. But, why do they IGNORE the fact that it's the staff who can make the system work if given the oppurtunity to do so. We have the expertise to change the NERC systems to move more aeroplanes. We can identify the issues that are de-moralising the staff.

I hope someone, somewhere in NATS Mgt has the bottle to do something before it's too late. Stop promoting people who are good at bull-****ting on promotion boards - what about the guys with years of ATC experience. Young girlies are not the best solution if you ignore the old gits !!

Crotalus
9th Jun 2002, 01:34
Roger ...reading something and contributing to it on OUR thread ...kinda dull over there ....still debating you know what !! Actually the idea that the world does not revolve around Nerc and the south of England would be good ..and I am ticked off hearing how little work I am doing when I am personally having my beans booted in !!!:mad:

Buster the Bear
9th Jun 2002, 10:04
Lots of rumours at my friends unit relating to an incorrectly addressed NATS internal e-mail which it is claimed revealed all the, and I quote "Massive bonus payments" made following the near perfect introduction of Swanwick made to senior managers.

True or false rumour?

ZIP250
9th Jun 2002, 10:40
I think it is reasonable to assume that the rumour about the management bonus is true as we have had no denial.

Z

roger
9th Jun 2002, 14:17
crotalas
I don't want this to turn into a slanging match(wait for it)but, I don't really get your reply. This is an ATC issues forum and this thread could apply to any unit.
My reply was meant tongue in cheek sorry if it caused offence, perhaps you shouldn't post after a night out on town?
roger

160to4DME
9th Jun 2002, 15:42
Dear Guardian Angel

I have 2 wishes.

1/ That Management get a map of the UK and are shown that there is NATS life north of LACC and that the staff from those inconvenient regions are just as pi$$ed off as darn sarf.

2/ I'd like one of those arcade games where you have to thwack the moles on the head with a whopping big mallet when they pop out of their holes, only on this one I'd like them replaced with certain higher managers past and present (not our local ones, I might add), plus Byers, Prescott, Blair and of course, the Prime Minister - Alastair Campbell :p

Crotalus
9th Jun 2002, 18:32
Roger...of course no offence taken why would there be ..as to it being an atc thread yes it is ..but the question asked SPECIFICALLY about NERC and it's morale problems .Let me let you into a little secret THE REST OF US ARE PRETTY PI$$ED OFF TOO !(See above!) As for moving onto the Nats site ..at least there we wash our laundry in private without the assistance of T****** T****** ,and other NON Nats bods putting their (generally)unhelpful oars in .Only a matter of time before the slanging starts from outside quarters!

Minesapint
9th Jun 2002, 18:57
So its a shared problem then. ATC staff that do not work for NATS are just as pi$$ed off as those that do. All the more reason to get these things out in the open and discuss the - is it not?

One of the biggest problems for me is management arrogance. A colleague recently described 'them' as "A pontificating bunch of kids". This 'always right' crap needs to stop. Maybe NATS (and other units) need to train their managers BEFORE promoting them. Doing it the current way only shows up just how bad they are when they are doing the job. Good job we don't do it that way with aircrew and ATCO's - or anyone else for that matter.:mad:

ContactLondon
10th Jun 2002, 14:25
There is quite simply ONE thing that would improve morale at NERC and at all the other ATC units around the UK,

When the staff have a gripe or a problem, the management,

LISTEN!

Simple really

BMIne
15th Jul 2003, 05:01
Give us back a "user friendly" working environment where we are able to see other sectors and our colleagues working on them.

Give us screens with letter sizes we can read.

Give us FOOD outside office hours.

Give the rostering back to people who can do it!

just a thought.......... can we have West Drayton back? :D
(or is that too contraversial?)

Its not just NERC that has the huge morale problem its rife around all the main units for various reasons.
Management need to realise v soon that staff are not putting up with it any more........ they are voting with their feet, and leaving!

15th Jul 2003, 14:38
Hello HH, I'm the morale officer on Team Bravo, formerly known as B Watch.....that sounds so blue-collar these days don't you think? Anyhow I'm a little disappointed with all the negative vibes and for all my London ACC colleagues I shall be publishing the list of successful Local Area Supervisor candidates shortly. Normally the list is withheld until after the selection board, but in previous years this has meant that the Vacancy Notice qualification criteria have had to be re-written several times to fit the list...this new way will save a lot of time and effort. Remember....SMILE SMILE SMILE .......a happy controller is a good controller. PS ... list almost complete but can't issue VN just yet, one of the successful candidates hasn't quite got enough operational time!

flower
15th Jul 2003, 17:19
As a non NERC person could someone please tell me what ORO is please ??

Morale is also at rock bottom out in the regions. When you try to address the problems through the proper channels what youcan get are threats to change rosters take away flexibility etc ,thus penalising those who actually bother to come into work each day and make the system work, Instead of supporting us and recognising that without our goodwill and supreme efforts the system would have fallen down a long time ago.

My wish is for a change in the way our management deal with issues and for then to recognise the work that we put in on a daily basis .

tori chelli
15th Jul 2003, 17:31
Flower

I think ORO is a (something) Rostering Office

Notwithstanding the argument over having a private gripe on a public site, it's an interesting coincidence that a lot of the problems in my unit are perceived to come from our rostering people!!!

I've changed the colour of the hint so even management can "see what I say".

edited for spelling

P.S fair point LTP

LostThePicture
15th Jul 2003, 18:55
ORO = Operational Resource Office.

If the NATS forum requires you to give your name and staff number to register, can it truly be anonymous? Maybe this is reason enough for this thread to be on this forum.

Just a thought...

LTP

PPRuNe Radar
15th Jul 2003, 20:00
Yes, it is truly anonymous. I use your name and number to check you are a bona fide NATS employee. As soon as that is done, the personal information is deleted and no record is kept anywhere of real names versus sign in names.

No one else is privy to the information (even on PPRuNe) and that's the way it will stay.

LostThePicture
15th Jul 2003, 20:17
Thanks for that Radar. I'm sorry that I doubted your integrity, but I'm fairly new around these parts. ;)

Ahh-40612
16th Jul 2003, 04:17
Getting back to the thread title -

I understand that several have boosted their own morale by departing the grey dismal place for old haunts where most people are seriously less miserable.

40612 carrying hazardous cargo but no WMD

Minesapint
16th Jul 2003, 04:56
Just read through this again - its a year old - have things improved? I see the :mad: ORO is still there :mad: :{

PPRuNe Radar
16th Jul 2003, 05:25
No problem LTP ... quite happy to answer any questions like that. It's important that people know what is what.

monkfish
16th Jul 2003, 06:06
Is this thread solely for the operational bods at Swanwick? Because the morale in the TDU down there needs some sorting out too!

roger
20th Jul 2003, 05:51
sorry to go on about NERC, but haven't the watches got the rosta back albeit nights and spins(where it counts.)

SevernTMA
23rd Jul 2003, 21:40
How about payments of £500 a time for working extra shifts instead of just "normal time?"

LostThePicture
25th Jul 2003, 21:00
How about payments of £500 a time for working extra shifts instead of just "normal time?"

I'm sure the people that signed up for AAVA's at LACC are delighted with their £500 per day (gross) payments. And why not? Voluntary overtime is just that - voluntary. It should be a personal thing; if someone wants to make a few extra pounds working the busy days during the summer and at the same time help the company shift more traffic, then good on them.

But there will always be a disgruntled minority who think that people who volunteer for AAVA's are little more than pondlife. I can think of a few reasons why this may be, but none of them make any sense.

As a fairly recent addition to the Swanwick community I would say that it is only a few disenchanted members of the "old guard" who remain unhappy. Morale amongst the under-35 crowd and the new recruits is, almost without exception, very high. At least the future's bright. Maybe those that are still unhappy are those that most dislike change. However, if after 18 months, those people have still not got over it.....

LTP

goldfrog
26th Jul 2003, 00:10
Quote:

As a seniorish engineer I would be happy with any payment for overtime, as it is I am not even entitled to TOIL except for weekend working.

So to increase my morale I would like ATCOs to stop moaning about only getting £500 for additional attendances.

Barnaby the Bear
26th Jul 2003, 19:10
Let me back into NATS. Give me an Area rating and an 18 year old blonde 'Female', and I will improve moral.......................Well alright I'll be happy anyway:}

Hang on I'm in Kylies bed!!! Who cares!!!!!!:ok:

Lon More
26th Jul 2003, 19:29
November 5 is approaching, find a new Guy Fawkes.

As well as slanging off my old room mate, Cheese and Ham (Bouremouth 1969), your union reps seem to be getting a lot of the flack: if you are all so p1ssed off why not change them? Or is there nobody prepared to stand for election.
A stronger union, solidly supported by members prepared to stand up for their beliefs wil get you a lot further than belly-aching here.

Lon More,
more than just an ATCO

Monger
26th Jul 2003, 20:39
Roger

What exactly is a "spin"

5milesbaby
27th Jul 2003, 00:51
monger - spins are alternatives to nights. As the manning needed for nights is much lower some members carry out day rotations, either AM, day, or PM basically. This helps the daytime staffing and reduces the delays during peak times. Its nice having a little control back on the watch over who gets them, so 'fair' rostering can be conducted.

Monger
27th Jul 2003, 02:18
seems sensible, how come the ORO couldn't master this?