PDA

View Full Version : rotax 377 maint manual.

mad_jock
27th Jan 2015, 08:44
Need to get a maitence manual for a snowmobile with a rotax 377 in it.

Don't mind paying something reasonable for it. But of course free would be good.

Inherited a job half way through replacing the pull start rope and i reckon the fanny that changed the rope has left a spring off the engagement plate to shove the locks out.

I know that its used in microlights as well and was hoping to get an exploded view with parts list for it so i can work out whats going on.

Thanks in advance.

jimjim1
27th Jan 2015, 10:46
Rotax recoil, Rotax pull starter, Rotax engine recoil service and installation. (http://www.ultralightnews.ca/rotax377/recoilservice.htm)

mad_jock
27th Jan 2015, 14:04
Thanks unfortunately the new units i have discovered don't have the spring that pushes the plate out its done by an o ring apply friction to the plate.

O well that sorted and spark plug gap reduced from 1mm to something more sensible it ran for 20min and then conked out. So I will be taking the oil pump to pieces tomorrow. And sealing the exhaust system up properly.

I bloody hate 2 strokes. Temperamental :mad: of devices unless it a big diesel 2 stroke

The Flying Pram
27th Jan 2015, 18:03
I bloody hate 2 strokes. Temperamental :mad: of devicesI would have to disagree - I survived almost 20 years and some 1200 hours sitting in front of a Rotax 447 (a flexwing with the engine at the back). The only time I landed deadstick was on the few occasions when I deliberately switched it off. It suffered a number of misfires at one point, which I eventually traced to faulty wiring in the magneto, but that could have applied to any petrol engine. Regular maintenance (and use), combined with good quality oil and fuel make all the difference.

As mine was petroil pre-mix lubricated, I also used to keep some power on during descent and landing. This goes against popular theory and tuition, but I counter that by wondering why so many 2 strokes suddenly seize at the worst possible moment! Long periods with virtually no oil, whilst the prop is driving the engine significantly above ground idle revs is asking for trouble. I've also seen supposedly "expert" pilots start up a cold engine, taxy 20 yards to the threshold, and then take off after the most cursory of checks. That's the sort of treatment that leads to 2 strokes getting a bad reputation...

By the way, I have some old manuals and documentation, if you get stuck.

magpienja
27th Jan 2015, 18:58
Flying Pram...my sentiments entirely re 2 stroke...just a bit of education and common sence in operation req.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jan 2015, 11:34
I'll third that - I have 500ish hours in front or behind various Rotax 2-strokes with one airborne failure which was a blocked fuel filter, so could have happened to anything.

They need care and understanding, but so do all other engines.

I think, by the way, that 377s share manuals with the early 447s and 503s which are still pretty commonplace.

G

magpienja
28th Jan 2015, 18:00
All rotax manuals are available FOC from the web site below...for some reason its not working at the moment but I'm sure its only temp.

In fack I have just looked at this one...seems to have some 377 stuff.

http://www.flyrotax.com/customer-serviceImpressum/technical-publications.aspx

www.rotax-owner.com

Nick.

mad_jock
28th Jan 2015, 18:15
Thanks for the links.

Unfortunately my experence of marine out boards and bikes have tainted my views on the bloody things.

Well it seems its still not getting enough oil. O well we shall see if we can fix the sod tomorrow.

The two stroke in a tank though are the dogs bits.

bingofuel
28th Jan 2015, 19:23
Need to get a maitence manual for a snowmobile with a rotax 377 in it.

Are you expecting a lot of snow in Aberdeen MJ?

mad_jock
28th Jan 2015, 19:37
Na visiting family and its the bil's

mad_jock
29th Jan 2015, 08:34
Well the oil pump was knackard.

So two brass bolts an some solder later its now an in the tank oil system.

A bit a swearing as the bloody knot came loose on the pull cord thus requiring to take it to bits again. But she has now been tweaked and starts like dream.

I am not so sure about the local method of starting. 5 pumps on the primer and leaving it out to me is asking for it the be flooded. I suspect they normally just fire new spark plugs in straight from the packet without adjusting them. Which is why they all have right arms like a javelin thrower.