PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Age

Duchess_Driver
27th Jan 2015, 07:13
Can somebody please point me to the EASA regs where the minimum age to record flight time towards the LAPL/PPL.

Can't put my finger on it at the moment.

MTIA

DD

MrAverage
27th Jan 2015, 11:36
I tried to find this, without success, in response to an enquiry for an 11 year old. It was academic as we don't take students under 14 anyway (which is apparently the age that training flights count toward licence issue) but I'd like to be guided to the relevant wording too. I'm guessing training flights under 14 are allowed because they are not forbidden anywhere in the regs, unless someone else knows differently?

Level Attitude
27th Jan 2015, 18:48
Any person can have a flying lesson at any age - and log.it as PUT.

JAA did stipulate that for 'Licence Issue' all the required training had to have been undertaken after the applicant's 14th birthday.

EASA has no such stipulation

Of course ATO approvals may require an age limit - but then this would be up to individual Competent Authorities. Those organizations that are still RFs are not bound by any such limitations.

As any solo requirement could not be undertaken before the age of 16' the wisdom of commencing a 'full on' course of flying training towards Licence issue much before the age of 15 is, I would suggest, questionable.

But, for example, 1 hour at age 12, 1 at age 13 then completing the remaining 43 hours of a PPL course after age 16 does not really pose any continuity, or legal, problems.

fireflybob
27th Jan 2015, 19:48
JAA did stipulate that for 'Licence Issue' all the required training had to have been undertaken after the applicant's 14th birthday.

EASA has no such stipulation

Of course ATO approvals may require an age limit - but then this would be up to individual Competent Authorities. Those organizations that are still RFs are not bound by any such limitations.

Level Attitude, thanks for that.

We have had a young person who has been flying with us quite regularly since the age of 12 years. Both he and his parents were made aware that any hours before 14 years would not count but being quite well off were more than happy with this.

He has now turned 14 years and I would be quite happy to send him solo (but won't be doing so!).

So from what you've said here he can count the hours of instruction he has had prior to 14 years?

PS We are still RF (thank goodness!)