PDA

View Full Version : PA28 to PS28?

captain echo
26th Jan 2015, 07:40
I have completed the majority of my PPL training in the UAS on the Grob Tutor (~44 hours), after leaving I didn’t fly for around 2 years but have started to fly the PA28 (~ 27 hours).

Now I have my licence I have been looking to fly at a lower cost in order to maximise flying time per month, so I decided to try the PS28 Cruiser which I found to be comfortable and generally felt very nice, especially the canopy, however I found that it seemed very unstable and I think that I would need a few more hours dual in it to be comfortable with it. I have 2 hours dual in it so far as part of the difference training.

The hire rate is about £50 less per hour for solo; it’s also based at an airfield much closer to where I live. I’m now not really sure whether to continue with the cruiser or to focus on building P1 time in the Warrior, so I was really just looking for some advice or opinions on which way to go?

I am planning to do a tail wheel conversion over the summer and then an aeros course on the Pitts too at some point if that influences anything.

Shoestring Flyer
26th Jan 2015, 09:10
You are comparing Chalk with Cheese. They are not really comparable the only thing in common is that they both fly!
A PA28 Warrior is a heavy but stable old Transit van of the sky type of aircraft with limited outside visibility and a gas guzzling Lycoming up front.
The PS28 (Sporcruiser) is a 600kg very lightweight LSA type aircraft with outstanding bubble canopy visibility and a Rotax 912S sipping a mere 18litres an hour up front. For sure it is not as stable a platform as the PA28 for say doing instrument training in but for everyday use or touring it is great.

Having said that with quite a few hundred hours of both PA28 time and 6years Sportcruiser ownership in my logbook I confess to being somewhat biased.... :)

A and C
26th Jan 2015, 22:39
Fly it, enjoy it, don't own it !

With poor quality control this under built aircraft is maintenance hungry, the factory is almost abandoned and parts are slow to turn up.

I am going to bet that no factory built aircraft will get past 3000 hours.

( the homebuilt aircraft are usualy much better built !)

Rod1
27th Jan 2015, 09:08
The Sporcruiser has a low wing loading compared with many aircraft in the LSA / VLA cat. It is this, rather than the lack of weight, that can make it a bit less stable than some of its competitors. Having said that it should be fine in good VFR so stick with it. Try to get some rides in other aircraft and build up some more experience. The Pitts is not at all like a PA28:E

Rod1