PDA

View Full Version : 90 Day Rule Class VS Type

Matsooh
24th Jan 2015, 11:33
Hello,

I know there are alot of threads about the 90 day rule. I am familar with the basic principe of having loged 3 to & ldg's in the 90 days before carrying passengers. But is there any requirement in the Class/Type of plane you fly?
For example in the past 90 days I've logged 5 landings & Take offs in a Cessna 172 and now I want to take a passenger in a Cessna 150 (No landings or T/O with C150 in the last 90 days). Is it necesarry for me to do 3 touch and goes in the C150 in order to comply with the 90 day rule or can I take a passenger with me in a C150 since I've got my landings but in the C172?

Thanks in advance! :)

Crash one
24th Jan 2015, 18:47
Not sure what the rules are in Antwerp but I believe in the UK you would be quite legal.

ASRAAM
24th Jan 2015, 18:53
3 landings in an SEP class aeroplane. In this respect the C150, C172 are just the same.

Pete O'Tewbe
24th Jan 2015, 18:57
For completeness:

FCL.060 Recent Experience

(a) [...]

(b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:

(1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class. The 3 take-offs and landings shall be performed in either multi-pilot or single-pilot operations, depending on the privileges held by the pilot; and

(2) [...]

Whopity
24th Jan 2015, 23:19
But is there any requirement in the Class/Type of plane you fly? Yes, as stated above. Type means aircraft that are "Type rated" not different types within a Class e.g. SEP or MEP.

Not sure what the rules are in AntwerpEASA rules apply equally in all EU States!

abgd
25th Jan 2015, 05:32
One that interests me, probably more dependent on individual insurance and owners than air law, is whether currency in my 1 seater would translate to being allowed to hire the local 152 or 172 without doing one of those quasi-legal check flights where nobody's quite sure who the PIC is, unless I've previously flown it within 28 days.

BEagle
25th Jan 2015, 07:29
...one of those quasi-legal check flights where nobody's quite sure who the PIC is...

There is no such thing. Either you regain recency by flying solo or you do so with qualified instructor.

However, if you mean 'receiving variant familiarisation' on an SEP class variant which is new to you, that does not require an instructor, it seems.

A certain 'minister-without-briefcase' is trying to persuade the CAA to change the 90 day recency requirement for non-EASA aircraft, but has few supporters outside La-la Land.

abgd
25th Jan 2015, 08:01
Well, a lot of groups won't let you fly solo unless you've either flown within the previous month or do a circuit with another person - who may be a group member and is not necessarily an instructor. There are lots of debates about the wisdom of this...

I used to hire a 152 from a man who was a microlight instructor but not a group A instructor. He did my check rides and if I didn't fly for a month or two he would do my check circuits too. This was relatively sensible, but used to send me scatty if I was on e.g. day 29 and had to wait half a day before flying a check circuit. It's a large reason why I've just bought myself a single-place LAA aircraft.

BillieBob
26th Jan 2015, 09:16
EASA rules apply equally in all EU States!Except, it would seem in a number of cases, in the UK!

OpenCirrus619
26th Jan 2015, 12:51
Just to throw another one into the mix ...

I fly both TMG and SEP - does anyone definitively know whether I need to do 3 flights in each (i.e. 6 flights every 90 days), or will 3 flights in total be OK?

b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:
(1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class. The 3 take-offs and landings shall be performed in either multi-pilot or single-pilot operations, depending on the privileges held by the pilot; and
(2) [...]
(3) [...]
(4) When a pilot has the privilege to operate more than one type of aeroplane with similar handling and operation characteristics, the 3 take-offs, approaches and landings required in (1) may be performed as defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21.
(5) [...]

(taken from CAP 804).

Are TMG and SEP considered similar types? I know there is far more difference in handling characteristics between some SEPs I've flown than there is between the TMG and SEP I fly now.

OC619

BEagle
26th Jan 2015, 13:10
Are TMG and SEP considered similar types?

No - they are different classes of single pilot aeroplane.