PDA

View Full Version : Examiners testing own students

Cylinder Head
21st Jan 2015, 11:56
I have probably been asleep and missed a discussion on this already but from 8th April 2015, it would appear that:

"The requirement is to be amended so that an examiner may test a student to whom they have given up to 25% of the instruction for the licence, rating or certificate."

Thanks to Flight Training News, I picked up the detail, see section 2.11 of IN-2014/188 that says FCL1005(a) is to be amended. Hurrah, whilst there are good arguments for independent examiners, this means that flying schools may once again be able to part finance post-holders' salaries from examination income rather than have income going out of the school. About time too! CH

Mach Jump
21st Jan 2015, 13:47
The requirement is to be amended so that an examiner may test a student to whom they have given up to 25% of the instruction for the licence, rating or certificate

Although this is an step forward, your quote from the IN has a word missing:

The requirement is to be amended so that an examiner may test a student to whom they have given up to 25% of the instruction required for the licence, rating or certificate.

I hope they make it clear what '25% of the instruction required' will mean.

With regard to the PPL, for instance, this could mean any of the following:

25% of 45 hours? (Total min. required.)

25% of 20 hours? (Dual min. required.)

25% of the total number of hours that particuular student takes to complete the course?

25% of the total total number of 'dual' hours that particular student takes to complete the course?

MJ:ok:

Cylinder Head
21st Jan 2015, 14:58
Good spot MJ, I had assumed that it meant 25% of the hours required by the student to pass. Needs clarification I agree.

Also FCL 1005 does not refer to the PPL specifically, it refers to licence, rating or certificates, then presumably 25% of the instruction for a Type Rating Course, an FIC or a CPL Modular could be given by the eventual examiner!!

nick14
22nd Jan 2015, 12:32
Does anyone have a link to the proposed amendments? All I can see is the FCL.002 NPA which doesn't contain any of this stuff.

Cylinder Head
22nd Jan 2015, 14:48
They have hidden it away as best they could, but try looking here

IN-2014/188: Summary of the Proposed Amendment to the Aircrew Regulation that Is Expected to Come into Force on 8 April 2015 | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=6500)

CH

nick14
22nd Jan 2015, 15:03
That's the IN which talks about it but there are no draft regulations anywhere?

BEagle
22nd Jan 2015, 20:35
The recommendation of the draft amendment to the Aircrew Regulation is that FEs may not test applicants....to whom they have provided more than 25% of the required flight instruction for the licence, rating or certificate for which the skill test or assessment of competence is being taken

Mach1.1
2nd Feb 2015, 09:23
I was at an examiner seminar a couple of months ago during which this subject came up. One particular grey area is exactly which 25% can an examiner teach? That may sound like a silly question but were it to be the last 25% then what realistically is the likelihood of an examiner giving instruction during the final quarter of the syllabus and then failing his own student?

BEagle
2nd Feb 2015, 10:59
There is currently no proposal to mandate which part of a syllabus may be included in the '25%'.

Don't forget that this policy doesn't apply just to the PPL course.

S-Works
2nd Feb 2015, 11:05
Personally I think I prefer it the way it was, a true impartial test.