PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands

fireflybob
12th Jan 2015, 16:29
We are considering a trip to the Faroe Islands from the Midlands later this year in a well equipped single.

Has anybody had experience of taking a light aircraft to Vagar? We were considering a stop at Stornoway or Prestwick to complete any formalities.

Any information or suggestions would be most welcome and, yes, we know it's quite a long sea crossing and are considering immersion suits as well as dinghy etc.

JW411
12th Jan 2015, 16:58
I have a friend who did a BAe146 contract up there and he had some pretty interesting stories about the local winds (windshear, rotor, severe turbulence etc). If you send me a PM with your email I will happily put you in touch.

Mach Jump
13th Jan 2015, 00:06
Hi Bob.

I flew in and out of Vagar VFR quite a few times some years ago. Wick is a good place to set off, and the distance is about the same. Andrew Bruce, at Wick, has a lot of experience assisting Atlantic crossers.

The weather at Vagar is very unpredictable, with fog suddenly drifting in off the sea, so make sure you check the latest before you pass your PNR.

JW 411 is right about the winds. If the wind is in certain directions above certain speeds, it can be VERY turbulent. The terrain is also VERY unforgiving. I learned to trust the ATC guys. They have a lot of experience predicting the local wind effects. If they say don't come today, just don't go! :eek:

On the plus side, the people are friendly, and on a nice day, the scenery is spectacular with jagged mountains rising almost vertically from the sea to >3,000 feet!

If you get the chance, fly the 'Waterfall' approach to Rwy 30!

MJ:ok:

Ps. The water is very cold up there, even in the summer. I would consider immersion suits, with some warm layers underneath essential in a single. ;)

mad_jock
13th Jan 2015, 09:54
if you go off the normal approach routes for a bimble.

There are loads of huge wires strung across various places some of them quite high up.

BTW if its says light turbulence on the wind chart its actually pretty horrible turbulence even in a TP.

Sam Rutherford
13th Jan 2015, 16:07
We go there regularly with light planes, helicopters and microlights - and going again in June.

Get in touch if you have any questions.

Best regards, Sam.

2high2fastagain
14th Jan 2015, 10:18
I'm with Mach on the fog and Wick

I'd recommend going to Wick as Andrew Bruce and his team have a fantastic wealth of knowledge. His company - Far North - is more of a US style FBO than I've seen anywhere else in the UK. We recently got stuck in fog for three days whilst trying to get to Shetland and Andrew arranged hotels, taxis etc.

I certainly would recommend immersion suits as well as dinghies. The water is really cold up there even in the summer. I used to sail small boats a lot and I always found that a number of thin layers under an immersion suit worked better than bulky woolly bears or the like if you find yourself in the oggin. Technical clothing has improved a lot in the last decade or so.

On the fog topic, be very cautious before you set out. When it rolled in on us unexpectedly it not only took out Wick, but all of Orkney and Shetland and even Inverness. You might find your alternates seriously restricted. As other posters have said - ASK before departing.

Notwithstanding the challenges, it is beautiful flying in that area and well worth the effort. We shall be up there several times this year.

rolling20
14th Jan 2015, 13:14
Check out these guys:
Faeroes (http://www.flyingpirates.co.uk/faeroes.html)

fireflybob
15th Jan 2015, 08:12
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

williamair
15th Jan 2015, 09:48
This was our trip last summer: Trans Atlantic 2014
And yes, look out for the fog in Vagar... When we went the control tower was in fog but the village at the eastern end of the runway was clear.

flyingboy101
23rd Jan 2015, 23:16
I did the Faroe Islands last year.
Flew my flexwing from Stornoway to Vagar.
Timed it such on my journey north winds were directly from the south.
Journey time was just under 4 hours thanks to these winds.

My return 4 days later were with winds from the North, but a 4.5hr flight.

I flew every day whilst there.
Flying the Fjords and mountains was amazing in a flexwing.

Guys in the control tower are first class as were all the ground crew I came into contact with.

The ATC is not controlled. More a FISO type service.
They have no radar.
Aircraft flying in the local area report every 30 minutes (at least I was told to).
No call and a rescue helicopter as to be lauched, no ifs or buts.
I have ADSB in and out, and therefore I was visible to all the local helicopter traffic.
This made ATC's life much easier.

Below are albums of 4 days I spent up there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/microlightmikeee/sets/72157647779494311/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/microlightmikeee/sets/72157647420427510/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/microlightmikeee/sets/72157647424144668/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/microlightmikeee/sets/72157647424171688/

Cheers
M.