PDA

View Full Version : On being an FAA instructor...

niallcooney
3rd Jun 2002, 23:46
Guys,

Quick question (quick answer, haw haw, good one). I'm off to the US to do an FAA PPL and FI (or CPL if the FI's not feasible), what are my chances of getting an instructor job with low hours etc, in the current climate? From what I've heard I'd have a reasonable chance, but I'd like a more definite opinion.

Thanks,
Nial

The Greaser
4th Jun 2002, 21:52
Niall

You wont get an FAA CFI without an FAA CPL/IR. And as for jobs, shouldn't be too difficult if you have green card and are not fussy about where you want to live. If you need any contacts for schools etc in the US that need instructors then I can probably give you a couple.

West Coast
5th Jun 2002, 04:19
Do your CFI where you want to work. Alot of places hire from
within their own student ranks.

Mr 5mith
5th Jun 2002, 14:00
Hmm Mr Greaser,

Im a JAA CPL/IR FI looking to goto states to instruct. Im pretty much willing to go anywhere but ive been making enquires and i dont seem to be getting anywhere, ive tried most of the major schools but they dont seem to like corresponding.

You got any hints and tips?

Cheers,
5mith

slim_slag
6th Jun 2002, 00:07
ive tried most of the major schools but they dont seem to like corresponding.

You got any hints and tips?

People like to do things by telephone here, have you tried calling any? There are companies in the UK that do calls to the US for <5p per minute, open an account with £25 and work the phone.

Go to www.airnav.com and sift through a load of airfields and get any flying school's phone numbers. Ask to speak to the person who hires instructors.

I am sure they will be pleased to talk to you. What they will ask is "what is a JAA CPL/FI"? You will tell them and they will say very nice, but are you a CFI?

The smart ones will also ask whether you have work approval in the US. Nobody is going to sponsor you in this environment, even if they could.

If you haven't got both, you will not be working as an instructor in the US.

Anyway, there are no CFI jobs right now anywhere you would want to work, and probably no jobs where you don't want to work. Any jobs are being filled by word of mouth.

So not good, unfortunately. Anyway, I am sure lots of people on here would be interested to know what you find out, so if you could post your results that would be appreciated.