PDA

View Full Version : Class D VFR/IFR separation standards

panpanpanpan
29th Dec 2014, 18:11
I have a thread running in the ATC section regarding VFR transits of controlled airspace. My experience is somewhat limited to Northern Ireland, has anyone else come across similar problems in the UK?

http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/553472-class-d-vfr-ifr-separation-standards.html

India Four Two
29th Dec 2014, 18:40
pppp,

My extremely limited experience is with Bournemouth - two transit attempts over a 20 year period, during the very rare occasions that I fly in the UK.

In both cases, the transit was refused - "too busy". On the second occasion, I listened in as we crept around the edge of the zone. They had two light twins practising approaches!

Prior to me calling them, my instructor had said "If it was up to me, I wouldn't bother."

By comparison, what a joy it is to fly in North America. Last year, I flew the VFR "Mini route", directly overhead LAX at 2500' in their Class B airspace. You need a clearance but there is no problem with obtaining one. Quite busy on the radio though - in the space of 20 minutes, we talked to Van Nuys, Santa Monica, LAX Tower, Hawthorne and SOCAL Approach.

If you fly higher (3500' southbound and 4500' northbound), you don't even need a clearance! Just announce your presence on 128.55.

More details and other VFR routes here: Air Traffic Services Brief - LAX Class B VFR Transition Routes - AOPA (http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Air-Traffic-Services-,-a-,-Technology/Air-Traffic-Services-Brief-LAX-Class-B-VFR-Transition-Routes)

thing
29th Dec 2014, 19:04
I transit class D probably every other flight both VFR and IFR and I rarely have a problem. You might get vectored around some commercial stuff but usually it's straight across. The only class D I've never been able to get a crossing of is Leeds Bradford and TBH I'm usually flying north when I speak to them so I squeeze up the side to Harrogate. I think as well whether rightly or wrongly that being snappy on the radio helps. Sound like you know what you're doing. I've conned them for years...:-)

India Four Two
29th Dec 2014, 20:27
being snappy on the radio helps. Sound like you know what you're doing.I agree. I've also found that pressing Ident immediately when asked, helps too. I usually get "Radar identified" at the end of the message.