PDA

View Full Version : Permit aircraft (Europa/Tecnam/Pioneer) on a G-Reg but based abroad...

italianjon
20th Dec 2014, 18:15
Hi All,

Does anyone on here know of a G-Reg permit based abroad, or an LAA Inspector who supports such arrangement.

I am thinking of buying a permit, on the paperwork it looks fairly easily possible, but I would like to speak to someone to see how it would actually work in practice.

Cheers

IJ

Rod1
20th Dec 2014, 21:43
There have been LAA aircraft based abroad but I assume there was one off permission to exceed the 28 day rule. I think the test flight had to be done in UK airspace so the aircraft normally got flown back to the UK for permit inspection and test flight. I think one did a spectacular diversion if I remember correctly.

Rod1

Genghis the Engineer
20th Dec 2014, 21:51
There are quite a few. The largest population is probably in Eire, but I know of at-least one in Austria, and believe that there are a few in France, Spain and Portugal.

You don't need the permit air test to be done in UK airspace so long as the permit hasn't expired. So, basically, always get the permit revalidated before it expires, or get the aeroplane back to the UK before it expires to then get it done, otherwise you may have a struggle.

In Eire, the IAA issue a validating "Flight Permit" to make it legal to fly, basically issuing a local permission on the back of the UK PtF. What other countries do, I know less about.

G

patowalker
21st Dec 2014, 20:07
I had a G reg microlight based in Luxembourg for 6 years. Had it inspected and check flown in either France, Belgium or the UK.

Don't try and do it in Italy A.O.P.A. Italia - Aircraft Owners and Pilot Association (http://www.aopa.it/infoleggi.asp?TipoInfo=2&IDInfo=222)

italianjon
24th Dec 2014, 14:29
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

@G, I know I have probably driven you mad with this topic as I refer to all of the PMs last year :O

Thanks for the heads up there on the Italian Taxes. I was aware of them. But it will be based in Germany. I have uncovered that there could be some "Luxury Asset Tax" implications, but only for permanent residents (they haven't followed Italy just yet) I need to bottom those out in parallel to my other inquries.

Basically guys, it all seems a little too simple... get a parking space and buy the spamcan... maybe I am over analysing. In my situation getting to a point where you could buy, the draw of much lower hourly rates is a good motivation... but I fear it is too easy to get into trouble experience has shown me that there is never a truely free lunch. The range of problems could be for example, Permit expiring, and also repairs that are not on the approved list, therefore I see building a relationship with an inspector to conduct repair work remotely as a possible consideration and there are a few others... This is why I would ideally like to be able to find someone in the position that I would like to put myself in and draw from their experiences.

On the "legel" side I am sold I can see that it is fairly straight forward on paper... but when has theory and practice ever gone hand in hand? :oh:

Cheers

Jon