PDA

View Full Version : landing at Scampton

Straighten Up
27th Nov 2014, 14:31
I've read a couple of bits about more military airfields being opened up to GA. I'm interested to know if anyone has successfully gained PPR to land at Scampton. I'm visiting the airfield in January and hoping to fly in.

I've made an enquiry direct and am awaiting a response but thought I'd check on here too. If it's a no are there any recommendations in the vicinity - I see wickenby and sturgate are relatively close.

Thanks.

The Flying Pram
27th Nov 2014, 17:56
Most military airfields always have been open for visiting GA, Subject to PPR and operational requirements. I've personally been into Coltishall, Coningsby & Wattisham in a microlight. Granted these were all a few years ago, and security has probably been tightened since. You'll have to produce evidence of third party insurance (it used to be £7.5m) or pay a one-off daily rate to cover it instead. Bear in mind that the military do things their own way, and from my experience, aren't always familiar with small circuit patterns, and light aircraft being able to land and take off in short distances. Also beware of jet exhaust - I wasn't advised of a Jaguar running on the apron, and had a scary moment while taxiing past it...

thing
27th Nov 2014, 18:35
I would have thought that they would be glad to see you. Don't forget that at this time of year the Reds are doing three practises a day but they are only for twenty minutes or so. Can't remember what the MOD rate is but £38-40 rings a bell. I've flown from Scampton and they are a friendly bunch.

If you can't get in at Scampton then Wickenby would be your best bet as Sturgate is shut during the week, although you can still land there if you call Eastern Air. In fact I would go for Wickenby anyway as scampton is easier to get to. I don't know what you are flying but check out Wickenby's runway length as it's not that much. Easy enough to get spamcans in and out of.

By the way the mob like oval circuits so the snappier your arrival the better. No bomber circuits.

Mach Jump
27th Nov 2014, 20:08
If you have business at the Station, you should have no problem getting permission.

MJ:ok:

The Flying Pram
27th Nov 2014, 20:15
No bomber circuits

I remember Coltishall sending me a dirty great briefing pack, including procedures to be taken in the event of an engine failure. Taking up a NE heading towards the sea, and ejecting once the aircraft was clear of any built up areas, was not what I had in mind! I think they were a bit surprised when I landed just past the arrester cable, and turned off at the next exit, about 70 yds further along the runway...

thing
27th Nov 2014, 20:29
We use the runway between the RHAG as our 'runway' otherwise your taxi would be longer than the flight...

Straighten Up
27th Nov 2014, 20:43
All great info - thank you.

Fingers crossed for a positive response!

Oldpilot55
27th Nov 2014, 21:30
Err, Sturgate does not shut during the week. Mon-Fri it is operated by Eastern Air Executive (they have a web site) and at the weekends Lincoln Aero Club operate the airfield. We are a friendly bunch and can arrange transport to Scampton, if required.

thing
27th Nov 2014, 22:01
Sturgate is shut during the week, although you can still land there if you call Eastern Air. What I said more or less I think. To be more precise, Sturgate Aero Club is shut during the week. Sorry, Lincoln Aero Club. Which is at Sturgate near, er... Gainsborough...:)

Tay Cough
28th Nov 2014, 14:52
Try this:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srg_.pdf

Pegpilot
29th Nov 2014, 10:19
I landed a glider at Wittering a couple of years ago having established radio contact with the locals first and gained permission to do so. The expensive bit was paying MOD Estates the landing fee and crown indemnity insurance premium for our tug to come in and get me - the bill was over £40, and is presumably what you'd pay for any light single at an RAF airfield.

B Fraser
1st Dec 2014, 15:33
Don't be caught out by the width of the runway. Tay Cough had to do my landing at Conningsby a few years ago as on finals, I was not happy with the view out the window. QFE had been properly set, checked and checked again. The runway turned out to be twice the width of Heathrow and six times the width of what I was used to. A schoolboy error on my part !

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2014, 12:36
Filton was a bitch for that as well.