PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Glasgow

gceyg
24th Nov 2014, 09:36
Hi there!

For a weekend in January, I was going to fly from Enniskillen to Glasgow in a PA28.

I just wanted to know what airport would be the best; Glasgow Airport or Prestwick?

Would love to get feedback from some of you who have had experience landing in these airports and an idea of the fees for landing and leaving it in one of these airport overnight for a day or two.

Thanks!

piperboy84
24th Nov 2014, 15:44
Prestwick seems a bit far out of town, Glasgow will charge you like a wounded buffalo, Cumbernauld would be your best bet if your set on mixing with West coaster weegies.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Nov 2014, 17:25
My one attempt to use Glasgow failed because of a howling crosswind. I don't know how usual that is.

xrayalpha
24th Nov 2014, 17:48
Prestwick. A tenner landing fee via the club, fuel and a train - or motorway - into Glasgow. Open all hours too, unlike Cumbernauld.

renfrew
24th Nov 2014, 17:49
Prestwick does have an attached train station with frequent trains up to Glasgow.

Jonzarno
24th Nov 2014, 17:59
Welcome to the forum!

As already mentioned, Glasgow Airport is horribly expensive.

Prestwick is excellent. I pay £26 for landing and a day's parking in my SR22. The flight centre there are excellent and Avis will deliver a rental car there if you ask the office at Prestwick directly (they do so regularly for me).

They also have ILS if the weather's bad and a cross runway if Gertrude's crosswind strikes :)

Cumbernauld is also excellent with lower landing fees and parking but no IAP (you can use the Glasgow ILS for cloud break) and no cross runway. I don't know about onward transport from there as I've always been met when I have flown there.

I hope you have a great trip! :ok:

riverrock83
25th Nov 2014, 15:13
Just to say - at Prestwick the club can't do handling - members only. The Flight Centre are fine - although technically they are also only supposed to handle you if you are a member or are receiving maintenance. They are normally quite accommodating but you do need to organise in advance and tell ATC where you're going or you will be sent to one of the other FBOs. They are also friendly but do charge more.
The airport is currently undergoing transitions regarding FBOs (they are planning on doing the handling themselves) so things could change at short notice - best to phone just before you go to make sure.

However as an airport - they are very used to / accommodating to small GA so if you want something unusual they can normally sort you out.

No micros (due to insurance issues after a jet wash ground incident) but that wont bother you.

gceyg
5th Dec 2014, 17:36
Thanks guys for all your advice. If anything else pops up to mind with anyone one of you or any other members it is greatly welcomed by myself.

Cheers!

fisbangwollop
6th Dec 2014, 20:14
Go to Prestwick, book in via the Prrstwick Flight Centre for cheap landing and parking then take the train (every 30 minutes) into Glasgow. £10 return and about 45 mins enroute. :cool:

gceyg
29th Dec 2014, 07:58
Thanks for all your information. Would that be parking or hangar parking ?

maxred
29th Dec 2014, 08:36
Outside parking