PDA

View Full Version : Interesting flying to keep PPL valid

Liftformula
22nd Nov 2014, 22:02
Hi All,
I passed my PPL November last year (2013) and subsequently got a few short flights in but haven't done any flying since January this year as I poured nearly all free funds for 2014 into getting married!..
I am now looking to next year with some more funds available and keeping my PPL valid as the SEP Rating expires November 2015.

I have started thinking are there any more 'interesting' types of flying I can do towards the required hours for revalidation rather than just hiring the local training aircraft?

Obviously after the elapsed time without any flying I am going to get some flights in with an instructor to make sure I am proficient/safe and build my confidence again but going past that any suggestions would be great!

I was thinking possibly some taildragger training or even going aboard to do a bit of flying, but I would like to hear your thoughts,suggestions and experiences..?
All the best
Steve

150 Driver
22nd Nov 2014, 22:43
If you passed your skills test back end 2013, did a bit but not much between then and Jan 2014 and nothing since (ten months ?) IMHO you need to concentrate back on some of the boring 'hire the training aircraft and fly' flights. I'd also suggest with a layoff like this with limited prior experience that you get a few in with an Instructor.

Learning a new skill in flying relies on you knowing the old ones pretty well, you might not feel it but I bet you're pretty rusty at these. This hobby that you've subscribed to relies on you being at the top of your game, anything less can kill you.

When up to it I suggest doing some XC flights, find some places that are different to what you're used to - e.g. grass strip if a hard strip flyer or vice versa. Some different locations would be good, entice the new spouse along with an offer of lunch.

If the adage of learn to walk before you run was true anywhere it is in the world of PPL.

150 Driver
22nd Nov 2014, 22:55
Six random locations that are good to fly into, that I've enjoyed flying into in my first couple of years post PPL, great for the logbook and have some interesting sights either on site or close to are:-

- Duxford (you might land at the same time as a Spitfire)
- Goodwood (approaching over top of cars racing around the perimeter is amazing plus there is some great hardware on the parking)
- Blackpool (assuming it reopens at some point)
- Enstone (visit the Spitfore Squadron)
- Old Buckenham (for the heritage factor)
- When up to it and with the right conditions (it's short and challenging) Weybourne (North Norfolk). Great restaurants in the village a short walk from the strip

The first five are all easy to find in a flight guide, for Weybourne see Location of The Muckleburgh Military Collection Tank Museum and and Airstrip (http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/location.htm)

One thing that ought to be high on a post PPL list is IR(R) (previously IMC). Never know when you'll need the skills

Safe flying

mary meagher
23rd Nov 2014, 07:02
Good idea to learn again on a taildragger! you will be less likely to ever demonstrate the wheelbarrow maneuver!

But better to leave the bride at home, or if she wants to fly, she should learn separately, on her own with a professional instructor. You do NOT want to be distracted from what is important. And she will be bored, sitting in the back suffering.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Nov 2014, 07:39
Taildragger. This will not only be great fun in itself, but it will tone up those basic stick and mostly rudder skills.

A and C
23rd Nov 2014, 09:06
Start going places, use the aircraft as a traveling machine and take your wife out for trips that are fun, you can start with Lunch in LeTouquet !

Get a few hours of using the aircraft to travel places and then think about some more training, this will clarify you mind as to what you want to do with your flying.

Liftformula
23rd Nov 2014, 09:45
Hi All,
Thanks for the suggestions so far..
As 150 Driver has mentioned I am definitely going to do a good number of training flights with an instructor to 'get me back in the seat' so to speak before doing anything more adventurous..

I do have a fairly limited budget so want to make sure I am getting the most enjoyment from the flying whilst keeping the SEP Rating valid...I hope we have some good weather next year as I'm now under pressure to get the hours in !
Tail drafters have caught my eye though, any suggestions of good schools/instructors for this? A quick Google brought up High Adrenaline hands-on Flight Experiences with ex-military instructors at Goodwood | Ultimate High (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk)

I am also doing a bit of reading about the instrument rating for pplwhich I think would focus the mind and enhance my flying skills but need to get my head around which one is appropriate as far as I can see there is the IMC, CBIR and EIR?

phiggsbroadband
23rd Nov 2014, 10:59
Hi, we are talking GB here, right?

At this time of year the chances that you will find a whole day of clear VFR are remote, until about March. That is for any XC flight that involves more than 100nm out, a few hours for lunch, then 100nm back again, without the weather or daylight running out.

You may be able to manage a quick trip to your nearest adjacent airfield, a quick cake and coffee, then return for maybe a few circuits to make up the time.

I think when the wx is
230906Z 2309/2318 33010KT 6000 -RA BKN015 It's best to leave the plane in the hangar, and watch the Grand-Prix on the telly...

FREDAcheck
23rd Nov 2014, 11:45
Echoing some previous points:

Beware lack of currency. If you haven't flown much for a few months, take a check-ride, then fly on your own until you're sure you on top form.
Flying with a passenger can be distracting - again, ensure your currency before flying with passengers.
Beware short winter days. Plan to be back home from any long trip at least 30 mins before sunset.
Beware landing on runway headings between 220 and 260 within 30 mins of sunset (sun in your eyes).

foxmoth
23rd Nov 2014, 11:52
A number of things you can do in addition to those already mentioned, you are not far from Goodwood so a course with UH - Advanced PPL is really good for someone with your experience level, this will polish up bits you know but are poor on plus intro you to a few new bits like spinning and aeros. Otherwise a straight Aeros course.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Nov 2014, 16:54
Once the taildragger training has ensured your basic stick and especially rudder skills are up to date, forget an instrument rating if you are after enhanced flying skills. An IR will only exercise your flying skills in a narrow part of the flight envelope (albeit to a high degree in that narrow band), and will need a lot of practice to keep valid. And will you really use it enough to justify that?

No, as Foxmoth says, try aeros. Absolutely nothing else will teach you how an aeroplane really flies, and why it sometimes ceases to fly. Across the entire envelope.

But there's no point doing aeros until you are sure you have the basics mastered.

Sam Rutherford
23rd Nov 2014, 17:05
Club together with a mate, or even two, and go flying somewhere for a week...

I have some ideas on that!

You will only be able to handle and log 33% of the time, but from the other seats you'll still learn a lot and have a laugh for the 100%.

Fly safe, Sam.

foxmoth
23rd Nov 2014, 18:08
But there's no point doing aeros until you are sure you have the basics mastered.

Not so sure on that, I would recommend the APPL for that reason, but an Aeros course DOES actually show you how a lot of the basics work!

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Nov 2014, 18:15
Why not just start off with a few trips to take you out of your comfort zone of the PPL course and go somewhere new? Maybe a night stop somewhere you might not normally get to (better still, take your significant other with you for the trip and talk about what it's like).

Not all good flying needs to be taught, much of it can be learned on your own. That is part of what is meant by the old chestnut about a PPL being a licence to learn.

G

chrisbl
23rd Nov 2014, 19:46
Don't obsess too much about getting the 12 hours in over the year and the revalidation by experience.

If your finances are stretched, and you have to leave it for a while longer, do the time with an instructor nearer the revalidation deadline and do a proficiency check with an examiner. This could cost you the price of 3-4 hours rather than 12.

Not as much fun perhaps but it sounds like you will have to do the equivalent instructor time anyway.

Pirke
23rd Nov 2014, 20:33
Why get a license, or keep it valid, if you're not flying anyway?

Rhino25782
24th Nov 2014, 09:40
Apart from the obvious regaining currency with an instructor (which you've indicated yourself so no need to lecture on that within every reply IMHO :rolleyes: )...

I've had the license for only a bit longer than you (but didn't get married, so spend the time and money on flying). Still, budget is limited but there is so much more that I have in mind apart from the things that I've done now, it won't get boring.

Firstly, really do those trips (if you like that). It's my favorite thing now to take some people and go places. Can be day trips, can be weekends, can be a longer vacation. I flew from Germany to the South East of Europe with a friend on a 10-day tour and boy, was that an adventure if you're fresh into the PPL!

But even smaller variations to your normal routine (once you've established that) can be extremely rewarding. This Saturday, I flew deliberately close to the sunset (only locally for airwork) and enjoyed really nice views and an improved sensation of what level of darkness I can cope with easily without being night-qualified (I landed SS + 20 min in CAVOK and it was beautiful). Obviously, the proper night rating is a good thing to do in the winter, too, and it's high on my list (next to getting checked out on some other types, maybe aerobatics, maybe a mountain flying course, maybe E-IR in the future.. that should be enough for the coming years to keep me entertained).

Have fun!

Liftformula
24th Nov 2014, 16:17
Thanks for all the positive input and suggestions guys... I really appreciate it!

Chrisbl ... I have considered doing exactly what you suggest.... I just don't like the idea of another 'test' so thought I would go down the 12 hours 'revalidation by experience' route.

Pirke, I was was going to respond... but I don't think I might be:ugh:

I have been researching various Advanced PPL courses after the suggestions and think this might be the way forward for me as most of the courses offered seem to be tailored tailored around the experience and currency of the student.... I would appreciate any other suggestions or recommendations for these courses :ok::)