PDA

View Full Version : Medical and 61.75 PPL

Mmarco50
14th Oct 2014, 15:42
After a few hours researching the FAR's with no clear answer, was wondering if anyone came across this question:

I have a Part 61.75 FAA PPL
FAA medical
JAR medical
If I succeed in getting an FAA IR added will I have to maintain both medicals if Flying N-Reg IFR?

Mark 1
14th Oct 2014, 18:02
You need your JAR/EASA medical to be current when a licence verification is taking place. E.g. when you apply for or upgrade an FAA certificate based upon a foreign licence.

To maintain the privileges of a Part 61.75 licence either an FAA medical or a medical for the 'based upon' licence will suffice.

wb9999
14th Oct 2014, 19:01
FAR 61.75 requires your foreign licence to be valid, and EASA Part-FCL and Part-Med state that an EASA licence is only valid with a current medical certificate. Some people disagree with this, but Part-FCL is unambiguous in this respect. So some people will say you need an EASA medical, and some say you don't..

worldpilot
14th Oct 2014, 19:17
I would Formulate it this way. You need an EASA medical to exercise the Privileges associated with EASA PPL.

WP

Mmarco50
15th Oct 2014, 07:50
Thanks, the EASA medical is not an issue. I just don't want to pay an extra 200£ for an FAA medical every 2 years.
So to be clear an EASA medical is sufficient to exercise the privilege of an FAA IR (Test Passed) add-on to my part 61.75 PPL.

Mark 1
15th Oct 2014, 16:34
So to be clear an EASA medical is sufficient to exercise the privilege of an FAA IR (Test Passed) add-on to my part 61.75 PPL.

That's correct. The FAA do not require any change in medical certification for IR privileges and there is no explicit limitation on a Class 2 EASA medical that restricts it to VMC (an audiogram is required for an EASA IR but not required by the FAA).

Mmarco50
15th Oct 2014, 17:05
Many Thanks Mark!