PDA

View Full Version : Pitch up Limits in helicopters

CASHPAT
14th Oct 2014, 03:15
I am curious to know why different helicopters have different pitch up limits given out in the limitation section of flight manuals. Is the reason aerodynamic or is it simply a FAR limit for aerobatics?

Max Contingency
14th Oct 2014, 18:01
The aircraft I fly has a 15 minute pitch up limit. If I pitch up any later than 15 minutes after the programmed time I have to fill out a report for the customer..........;)

handysnaks
14th Oct 2014, 19:57
Max, don't forget your hat and coat as you leave the room. :):D:ok:

John R81
14th Oct 2014, 20:21
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Pitch up limits would cramp my style for torque turns

BOBAKAT
14th Oct 2014, 21:35
NG go down....that's the limit.....LOL:mad:

CASHPAT
15th Oct 2014, 18:26
I m serious here. My pupils are giving me hard time on this one as lama has 30 deg and aloutte has 45 deg nose up limit. Both have same engine transmission &amp; same blades</p><p> pl assist on this one. Thnx</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Shawn Coyle
15th Oct 2014, 20:17
There mnay be a ton of other reasons for the limitation. Could be antthing from fuel tank design (at minimum fuel how much nose up does it take before the intake to the engine in the fuel tank is uncovered?) and so on.
The manufacturer is not required to tell the reason for the limitatioins, it's just up to the pilots to observe them.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
16th Oct 2014, 08:27
I only pitch up if I'm getting paid or there's a pretty girl involved ! If not I'm staying in bed

NickLappos
16th Oct 2014, 21:25
CASHPAT
To the best of my knowledge, the pitch and roll flight limits that some manuals have is purely a reflection of the old "aerobatic" definition, at 30 nose up/down, and 60 roll. If you can cite other limits, and the aircraft, between Shawn and I, we can probably figure out why it is there (or make something up that sounds really good!)

Dai Chopper
19th Oct 2014, 19:54
I recall a Wessex hitting its tail blades during an approach due to the pitch up - anyone care to guess at what the nose up angle was?!

JohnDixson
19th Oct 2014, 20:57
I have a copy of a 1967 SA Pilot Office chart that shows +32.5 degrees as the tail rotor contact angle. ( -16.0 degrees to the landing light, although that could be different for the Wessex if they changed the light arrangement. )

20th Oct 2014, 08:53
ISTR it was about 45 degrees at Aughnacloy - he dug a trench in the boggy ground first and the TR eventually hit a buried concrete post!

Floppy Link
20th Oct 2014, 12:06
Wasn't it 56 degrees at Crawfordsburn, through the wooden fence?

Miklavz
20th Oct 2014, 13:28
Well, youre FI. By default you are supposed to know everything.
But you dont. So, use your experience, seniority and position. Ask the students, what do ghey think why is so. Give them homework, divide them and harvest the fruits.
At the end, you will know the answer, they will have some other things to do and no to bugger their instructor...
Win win situation.
But what would I know.
RGDS, Mike

Arm out the window
20th Oct 2014, 20:09
they will have some other things to do and no to bugger their instructor...

I say no to that too!

Um... lifting...
23rd Oct 2014, 06:56
and no to bugger their instructor

With what instructors are paid, I'd say there's enough of that going on already. :ugh: