PDA

View Full Version : Bell 222SP Flight Characteristics/Operations

Teton Rotor
29th Sep 2014, 18:12
Searched the forum and found no joy in general feedback on the flight characteristics/operations of the Bell 222SP. It seems to get a subjective "knock" in the field from pilots, but I wanted to hear from pilots who have flown it (objectivity). Any maintenance raps on the model?

Thanks

430EMSpilot
29th Sep 2014, 22:01
Haven't flown one in 12 years but I liked it. Steam gauges, 4 axis autopilot, lycoming engines. We flew ours (we had 2) around 800 hours per year and with a good proactive mechanic we had few problems...relatively speaking.

I imagine parts are getting scarce and operating costs are high these days but I did enjoy flying it. Of course now I've been spoiled by newer, more technologically advanced aircraft, but for the time it was more than adequate.

Encyclo
30th Sep 2014, 10:46
222SP was the Louisiana mod (read STC) of the original Lycoming powered triple deuce. It used Rolls Royce engines with all sorts of special bits to fit those in. It is not a 230 and does not use the same parts.

222/230 parts are hard to come by, 222SP are much worse (non existant?). Better off getting a 230.

Fly Safe, Always :ok:

430EMSpilot
30th Sep 2014, 16:39
Oops you're right Encyclo, I was thinking of the UT!