PDA

View Full Version : Systems Control have left the building!!

All Systems Go
29th May 2002, 01:59
Hi folks.

I got an interesting e-mail today regarding Engineers and this god awful excuse of a pay offer. To cut a long e-mail short, it said if we, then Engineers voted No to this pay ballot then at the end of the road would be industrial action of some sort, but it would have to be a long term affair as short term action probably wouldn't be noticed. So my question is this:

As an ATC types would you be happy doing your job (all centers and airports here please - you all have Engineers of some sort supporting your job) if there were no engineers about for a day or 2? By engineers I mean both Ops engineers (the lovely chaps who work in Systems Control or in the Tels Section), and also ouyr day team brothers and sisters, who we in Ops engineering would struggle without? I know it's a long question but it's late and I'm not drunk.

Comments please.

Cheers.

nippa
29th May 2002, 09:14
I wouldn't be happy!
You can have my moral support.

But I'm not going to fight your battles for you as I've a bigger one to fight.

5milesbaby
29th May 2002, 11:12
I think down at Swanwick with the such reliable system we've got, even an hours walk out would go very noticed. I for one wouldn't want to even sit down knowing there is no Systems or Engineer support in the room next door. It compromises safety too much. One frequency down, loss of radars, EDDUS link failed again (whatever it does), workstation problem, bandbox/splitting problems, or the inevitable NAS failure would have too many safety implications not to be fixed immediately. You'll probably find that if your going out to the gate, we'll be bringing the coffee and banners. ;)

Loki
29th May 2002, 20:48
I would feel extremely nervous if I thought no one was around to fix the extremely complex beast at LACC. I don`t think it would be safe.