PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the RNHF stable

airborne_artist
23rd Sep 2014, 10:34
Feature ? Sea Vixen Returns To RNAS Yeovilton | Tom Mercer Photography (http://tommercerphotography.co.uk/2014/09/18/feature-sea-vixen-returns-to-rnas-yeovilton/)

http://tommercerphotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_6610-edit-20140917.jpg?w=700&h=466

Wander00
23rd Sep 2014, 10:57
Good luck to all, and may she continue to fly for many years

tarantonight
23rd Sep 2014, 16:31
Excellent news. Back where she belongs.

bvcu
23rd Sep 2014, 17:59
and they're fundraising to keep her flying so go on their website and donate !

NutLoose
23rd Sep 2014, 18:45
But tinged with sadness, as those that looked after her received their P45's :sad:

Mick Strigg
24th Sep 2014, 07:14
Keep her in the air

Join the supporters club (http://www.fnht.co.uk/join-the-supporters-club.html)

John Eacott
24th Sep 2014, 07:59
Great news: but I still find it strange to look at 134 with such dazzling white paint. All the shipborne cabs got very scruffy very quickly, and never, ever looked liked that.

When we went into Capetown and 800NAS flew ashore for the duration, the 24 Squadron Buccaneers were in showroom condition when compared to the sea-worn cabs that were accepted as the norm on carriers.

Tiger_mate
24th Sep 2014, 08:39
I am a big fan of the Sea Vixen; however when it comes to flying displays, I leave my rose tinted specs behind. It is in competition with Vulcan and Canberra PR9 on the display circuit and I doubt very much it will be a financially viable contender. RNHF are alteady overstreched and have not had a Swordfish ready for the start of the season in the last three years - this year the Sea Fury was not ready either. To be a front runner; these aircraft need to be fully serviceable with PDA crews before the Abingdon event (1st show of the year). I see this addition adding to the problem, not providing a solution. I also wonder where this will put the Seahawk restoration at a time when Sea Fury is about to cost a lot of money.

dagenham
24th Sep 2014, 09:14
It is not operated by the Royal Navy historic flight, so there is no competition for funds. It is now owned by a private company with links to rnhf.. The naval historic flight trust and naval aviation limited.

It's all very complicated and I need my horlicks

relight9
24th Sep 2014, 09:28
Pity it's in (or in a collection related to) the RNHF, it would be a quantum leap in current RN capability.......

Wander00
24th Sep 2014, 10:24
It would be great to see the Seahawk back though, IMHO one of the most attractive of aircraft. Now if we did not pour all that money into the coffers of the tin triangle there might be more to go round other worthwhile projects - OK, hat, coat.......................

Hangarshuffle
24th Sep 2014, 19:18
What type and mark of ejection seat is it fitted with? Is it a Martin Baker Mark 4? I don't know, but think it may be this type.
Does anyone think the level of risk to the person flying the aircraft has been reduced to the lowest possible level?
Vintage aircraft painted in the RN colours haven't had the greatest record in safety.
I'm no longer in, but take a detached view now that while the RNs safety record with service aircraft was comparatively good, ex Naval aircraft=less so.
Why ask or expect pilots to fly with a significantly lower safety expectation than their serving counterparts?

Hangarshuffle
24th Sep 2014, 19:30
Seen a few prangs over the years and heard the stories....we just weren't as good as the RAF... understand that this a private funded aircraft and can thus do as it pleases within its legal framework, but no doubt some RN senior staff officers will be creaming their knicks at the thought of its press value in the future...good luck with all of that. Glad I've moved out of South Somerset and into my deep salt mine, put it that way.

cobalt42
24th Sep 2014, 19:47
Hangarshuffle...

Early Type 4 seats - can't remember the sub-mark but they were very specific to Sea Vixen. ISTR some kit associated with underwater ejection from my Fitters Course at Halton in '76. We had a Sea Vixen in the Armourer's Hanger on the Airfield used for Seat Fits and Removals, and Weapon load training. Getting the Observer's Seat into and out of the 'Coal Hole' was interesting!

ShotOne
24th Sep 2014, 20:21
HS, I agree with your basic point but "RN safety record with service aircraft comparatively good..".?? Only compared to things that are very dangerous, surely. By no means knocking the FAA but the safety record of Sea Vixen-era jets by RN or anyone else, placed in the context of modern air safety would be seen as catastrophic.

RNHF_PILOT
24th Sep 2014, 21:06
Hangarshuffle, for the avoidance of doubt and in the interests of accuracy I can assure you the RN take very seriously the safety of those of us lucky enough to fly these aeroplanes. The levels of safety expected of RNHF aircraft are the same as those expected on in-service aircraft.

If you have any concerns about the way we operate and maintain our aircraft please feel free to visit us at RNHF and put them to us directly.

pr00ne
24th Sep 2014, 22:14
RNHF_PILOT,

Shame you don't have a single airworthy aeroplane, why is that?

Tiger_mate
24th Sep 2014, 23:20
That one is probably a fraction below the belt.

You can have an air force if you can afford it.

Evalu8ter
24th Sep 2014, 23:26
Pro one,
Perhaps they are attempting to reverse engineer the required safety and assurance documentation onto airframes that historically have never had them?

Bit like Rivet Joint really.....£1Bn couldn't generate a case that quickly could it?

PS - there are more Merlins and Griffons around than Centaurus and Pegasus...that may well explain some of the issues.

dagenham
25th Sep 2014, 12:15
pr00ne..... that was uncalled for and a tad harsh. I understand the RNHF is not funded on a similar basis to the excellent operation at BBMF

Most sea furies have gone down the P&W route as the bristols are difficult. I know the RNHF have had some trouble with the swordfish and the sea hawk. Not sure if this is down the quality of voluntary work undertaken by BAE or another issue

WhiteOvies
25th Sep 2014, 14:21
BBMF is still Service manned to my understanding, and treated as any other RAF Sqaudron, all be it flying rather special aircraft.

RNHF has come more under the wing of the FAA due to Airworthiness regs but is very definately not an RN squadron.

The team do a superb job given that they work with unique aircraft with unique supply and support issues and limited funding as a Charity organisation.

What point are you trying to make pr00ne?? If you've got a stack of spares for historic aircraft, or a bespoke workshop, then I'm sure the RNHF would love to hear from you.

Hangarshuffle
25th Sep 2014, 18:00
All fair comments, I've just got my doubts from what I saw in the past at Yeovilton. Always seemed a small section, struggling for money to keep it all going. For such a small number of vintage aircraft, I just think back and think look what happened to them all. With the Vixen its a what, 50 year old aircraft? With the corresponding technology and safety systems from that era but now being applied and pushed into the modern entertainment industry (for that's its job now).
Yes each to his own form of being entertained but I'm always happier to see these aircraft parked up in a museum retired, if I'm truthful.
Even that Wasp came a cropper at Yeovilton a couple of years back, didn't it? I've got a picture of it on my laptop right here. (Did they try to keep that quiet?)
Anyway, enough about all this from me. Good luck with it all anyway.

Compass Call
25th Sep 2014, 21:20
G-CVIX (XP924) is a hybrid aircraft.
It is an FAW2 converted to a D3 and then partially converted back to an FAW2.
The wiring is a nightmare to follow, especially when the Flight Refueling manuals specific to XP924 are not the same as what is fitted to the aircraft!!

CC