PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining ppl in Woking area

Jaxs
7th Sep 2014, 18:24
Would like info on the flying schools around Woking i.e fairoaks and blackebushe airports
I know should try a trial lesson just want people experience and opinions
Cheers

flyboy97
7th Sep 2014, 19:31
Hi Jaxs

I got my PPL from Air First flying school at Blackbushe. Although it is not the cheapest in the country, it offers competitive prices and a very high level of instruction. I am just 17 and got my licence on my 17th Birthday in just 48 hours thanks to the help of their instructors. There is a fleet of 2 Cessna 152s, 3 Pa28s, and an brand new and modern Sportcruiser (with a glass cockpit). They offer full PPL packages and a good rate, as well as single trial lessons and 5 hours packages designed as a 'flying start'. They make flying very easy to manage and help massively with the bureaucracy and paperwork needed in day to day flying, and the complex forms and requirements required for the licence issue.

Here is a link to the website:

home (http://www.airfirst.co.uk)

They are very welcoming and accommodating and if you call them or drop in then they will be able to answer any queries and if you chose to book a trial lesson then aircraft availability is very good and it may be possible to fly same day or in the following few days.

Hope this helps!

chevvron
7th Sep 2014, 21:26
Fairoaks Flight Centre operated by Synergy Aviation 01276 858075 www.flysynergy.com. Fairoaks Airport website www.fairoaksairport.com

average-punter
12th Sep 2014, 12:19
I did a couple of hours with Blackbushe Aviation a few years ago and I found them absolutely first class, couldn't recommend them enough. I turned up unannounced one afternoon and an instructor + the ops guy spent over an hour talking to me and showing me around. I understand the school has now been sold to one of the instructors.

JSAG
12th Sep 2014, 13:18
I suggest you look at London Transport Flying Club. Nothing to do with London Transport anymore but a Flying Club with fully qualified, part time instructors who do it for the love of flying. They even managed to train me.
LTFC Home (http://www.ltfc.org.uk)
It's a club atmosphere as opposed to a school and once you're qualified you can hire the planes and they organise club flyouts to say France, the Scilly Isles or grass strips etc once a month. It's also a cheaper way to fly than most flying schools round here.
Fleet of 4 Warriors a 172 and a Flight Design CT Supralight on order.

Wherever you decide, always take a trial lesson with the guy who's actually going to instruct you before you make up your mind. You'll be spending a lot of time (and money) with him and you need to get on.

And as they always say on this forum - never, ever pay up front for a block of lessons no matter what the discount.

Good luck.

BroomstickPilot
12th Sep 2014, 15:21
Hi Jaxs,

Don't make the mistake of choosing a club just because it is conveniently close to home. You might find a much better club a little further away. Anything up to an hour's travel is reasonable.

I can't speak for Fairoaks or Blackbushe because there have been changes at both locations in recent years so I don't know any more who is good there and who is not.

Redair at Blackbushe used to be well thought of but I don't know if they are still in business.

There used to be good clubs at Redhill (including Redair) so these may be worth investigating.

The one I would recommend is The Pilot Centre at Denham. I flew there six years ago and found them to be a very well run and reasonably priced establishment that treats its customers fairly.

White Waltham has been around for ever and has a very good reputation. However it is a very expensive club.

And finally and above all, NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY UP FRONT FOR A WHOLE COURSE. Clubs go bust with depressing regularity and leave paid up customers high and dry.

When you've flown with a club for a short while and gained some idea of their financial security then - and only then- consider buying small blocks of hours if there is a discount.

Regards,

BP.

BroomstickPilot
14th Sep 2014, 10:57
Hi Jaxs,

As you will have guessed, I have been out of flying for some years, so my advice might be a bit out of date.

One other trick that clubs used, once the prospective student had been duly impressed by a trial lesson, was to sell him/her a 'study pack'. This was a pilot case containing the whole range of Trevor Thom books for PPL, a whizz wheel and various other bits and bobs you might need during the course of your training. For this today you would pay about £279.

First of all this meant you were shelling out up front for things you might not need for several months. Secondly, the Trevor Thom books, although adequate, are not the only source of training material. There are other sources of training material that you might prefer.

Instead buy each item you need as you need it and take the time to examine the alternative publications before you make your choice and buy the one you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck!

BP.

Jaxs
19th Sep 2014, 21:26
Thank you all for the info given. all very helpful

Alpha01Zulu
24th Sep 2014, 12:36
Jaxs, How did you get on...?

I am also interested in starting my PPL, currently living near FAiroakes Airport.

I have emailed them (2 weeks ago!) and no reply as yet.

Let me know how you got on... maybe you could point me in the right direction.

I work in IT and by the time i finsh work, its too late to call, hence the reason for sending them email.