PDA

View Full Version : PPL leicestershire area

Doona
2nd Sep 2014, 18:59
Hi all, first post from me, albeit I have been stalking the forum as a guest for a couple of months. I am returning to flying after a break of about 19 years. I had about 150 hours as PIC on motor gliders and was well on the way to an instructor rating. That said it was a long time ago!!

So, I am looking at venues for a ppl within leicestershire (& surrounding area).
I guess an obvious one would be Leicester Aero Club. Has anyone got any experience of them.

Coventry airport is not a million miles away, there are a couple of schools there, same question really, any experiences with them?

Thanks in advance

EchoSierra
2nd Sep 2014, 19:22
Hello Donna,

I can recommend Sherwood Flying Club at Tollerton, did my PPL there and the instructors/aircraft are brilliant :)

SammySu
2nd Sep 2014, 19:58
Leicesters a lovely club and Dave Biddles is a v good and friendly instructor. Would recommend.

ground_star
2nd Sep 2014, 22:07
If you don't mind nipping over the border to Rutland, I highly recommend Stephen Waddy at Rutland Flying School. Lovely guy, good aircraft, relaxed atmosphere & very conducive to progress. I don't get there as often as I'd like right now, but it's very good.

Doona
3rd Sep 2014, 08:20
Thanks all, I'll have a look at those suggestions.

ToeJam
3rd Sep 2014, 19:02
I learned at Leicester last year, getting my PPL just in time for Christmas.

Dave Biddles is CFI so unlikely to teach you as he will do the testing. Nick is the full time instructor who I found to be very patient and knowledgeable. He got me through on the 45 hour minimum, even though I had a "whenever" attitude.. I was in no rush. So one of us was good at least :ok:

There are a couple of other part time instructors there also. All the advice I was given was to try a couple of instructors. I was very happy with Nick so ignored it :O

They just reduced the hourly rate for the Cessan 152 training too, believe it or not!

Doona
4th Sep 2014, 10:29
Cheers Toejam. I think i'm going to nip & see both Rutland & Leicester. To get a feel.

Thanks again

Pilot917
31st Jul 2018, 22:44
Hi Doona,

I am now in a similar position to your original thread. I live in Leicestershire and am looking for the best place to undertake my PPL license. Im currently looking between Coventry and Leicester.

Was just wondering whether you have undertaken/ completed your license?

Thanks

Barry