PDA

View Full Version : Can you fly into bruntingthorpe...

tmmorris
26th Aug 2014, 06:06
...to visit the museum or for one of the open days?

Couldn't work it out from the website...

Mariner9
26th Aug 2014, 07:17
There was a well-attended (including me) fly-in last year for one of their jet days, but not sure whether its routinely open for visitors.

thing
26th Aug 2014, 07:27
I flew into one of their Cold War jet days a couple of years ago, so on the back of that I would say it's still possible. We'll worth a trip.

Romeo Tango
26th Aug 2014, 09:19
Usually one can with PPR. Sometimes the place is closed for some ground event.

ShyTorque
26th Aug 2014, 09:22
All aircraft are welcome but most of 'em never get out again....

spekesoftly
26th Aug 2014, 10:03
I believe a Victor very nearly escaped! ;)

alexbrett
26th Aug 2014, 10:53
I flew in to the open day back in May - e-mailed the address on their site beforehand and got confirmation it was OK and with some details etc. I would have done the same for the one on Sunday, but I couldn't get an aircraft booked unfortunately.

For the open days they obviously want you to arrive before the first fast taxi run (usually at around 11am), and departures are from a taxiway which is parallel to the second half of the runway (which seems a bit odd at first, but other than a bit of turbulence from the trees is not a problem as it's a wide taxiway etc).

To expedite the arrival flow it's useful to land quite long, as the first exit is half way along the runway (i.e. 1500m down), so if you land on the numbers you've got a long taxi!

Not sure outside of the open days - I know they do some car testing there but not sure if that's on the runway or not...

Russell Gulch
26th Aug 2014, 18:55
I think Bruntingthorpe has entries in most UK flight guides, so a call to the number would be the first port of call. Normally the grass 900m runway is used, because the hard runway is used by cars.

But the two "fast jet" days they do each year (last May BH and Aug BH) are worth flying in to; you avoid the traffic jams and (I believe) you just pay the entrance fee; no landing fee but don't quote me. And you land on the hard runway (no big deal I hear you say), but it was at one time the longest runway in Europe at 2 miles long.

It still is. In Europe I mean it has not moved to Japan :) but its a bloody long walk!

Russ

Oldpilot55
27th Aug 2014, 06:23
They are a friendly lot at Bruntingthorpe. When we flew in the cheeky chap asked us if we were over 60, despite the pair of us looking like teenagers, and we got a discount.