PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Flying

Tolsti
27th May 2002, 11:13
My assistant is scared of flying following a turbulence incident in which she was thoroughly shaken and can now only fly when, in her own words, 'I'm as drunk as a skunk'.

As her direct manager I have set myself the task of persuading her that it is safe to fly again and that she can actually enjoy it.

I am looking for 2 things and I wonder if anyone can help....

a) I read a few years ago a small book that explained each stage of the flight including what noises meant what. i.e. flaps exetending or retracting

b) there was an article by, I believe a current El-Al captain, covering the subject.

If anyone can help in pointing me in the direction of this or any similar material I would be most grateful.

Just another student
27th May 2002, 11:34
I think I know the article you are refering to.You will find a copy of the interview that you mentioned, in Airliner World magazine date of which could be March this year :)

Roundouthigh
27th May 2002, 11:54
There are several "Fear of Flying" courses run by airlines. One course in particular run by a company called Aviatours, in conjunction with British Airways, offers advice on how a plane operates, training of pilots an explanation of weather and a talk by a psychologist. The day finishes with a one hour flight. They can be contacted on 01252 793 250. The course has been running 15 years and has excellent results.

Tolsti
28th May 2002, 06:43
thanks Student...... my sub only began this month!... will get the back issues.

Great info Roundout, being France based makes it a bit difficult though......I suppose I'd even have to give her timeoff!!

steve1969
28th May 2002, 07:18
There is a very readable book in everyday language which may be of help to you and your assistant:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1853108421/qid%3D1022570158/026-8740933-3526005

Hope this is useful.

Just another student
28th May 2002, 08:47
The interview is in the March 2002 issue, I have just found my copy:D

Lucifer
28th May 2002, 19:30
Please remind her that it is also illegal to be drunk aboard an aircraft, though obviously she is doing something about it. On the other hand, I have heard great things of the course run in conjunction with BA as well.

Capt Claret
29th May 2002, 02:59
Tolsti

Good luck with your quest. Mrs Claret won't get on an aircraft without being well fortified, usually with scotch and valium. It makes no difference if I'm flying the aircraft, sitting next to her in the cabin, or not there at all.

On one occasion prior to becoming Mrs Claret, she had to be wheeled of the aircraft as she had not motor control.

Great reunion that was!!! :D

Tolsti
29th May 2002, 15:54
Thanks all..... book ordered, back issue ordered as ground work.

Might look at a short flight at the end. Possibly Easy to Nice for the day if practical.

Thanks for all the assistance.