PDA

View Full Version : Mid-week cafes/restaurants.

sapperkenno
19th Aug 2014, 12:17
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to fly into that serve food (and are any good?) either on the airfield, or within 15 minutes walk, that are open mid-week?
I fly with a couple of people in their own aircraft, every Tuesday/Wednesday, and we're looking for some ideas.

Ideally within 1.5-2 hours flight time from the Leeds/Selby area, and the field/strip must be able to take a PA28-180D 3-up. Most of the decent places seem to be weekends only.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Jan Olieslagers
19th Aug 2014, 13:02
Both LFAC Calais and EBKT Kortrijk have good restaurants open on weekdays - but perhaps too far off for you?

ETOPS
19th Aug 2014, 13:13
Can I recommend the restaurant at Barton - not far from you, plenty of PA-28s based there and a friendly welcome..

http://www.theairfieldlodge.co.uk/

Shoestring Flyer
19th Aug 2014, 14:20
How about Sywell?...Either eat in the 'Pilots Mess' or the 'Aviator Hotel' whichever takes your fancy.
Or a bit further try Kemble, or further still and you if you go before it closes on Sept 20th, Panshanger has an excellent cafe.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Aug 2014, 14:38
I can recommend two excellent (and affordable) food pubs within 5 minutes by taxi from Cranfield - either the Swan in Salford, or the Carrington Arms in Aynho. (Various okay but less spectacular eateries on the airfield - the most enjoyably quirky of the bunch probably being the Cafe Bookshop).

Generally speaking, eating on the grass outside at White Waltham is also a pleasurable experience. I'd say the food is Good rather than Excellent.

Denham has a rather good if quirky place on the airfield called Biggles : Biggles Restaurant, Denham (http://www.bigglesrestaurant.com/)

A favourite of mine, also at Denham, is "The Crew Room", basically just an airfield cafe run by a fellow who used to have a larger Italian restaurant. His freshly made pizzas are quite spectacular.

I've not been there for a while, and recall it as more "good" than "excellent" (possibly "okay"), but the place at Lydd serves all day as well. Restaurant & Bar - Lydd Airport (London Ashford Airport) (http://www.lydd-airport.co.uk/passenger-information/restaurant)

Red Lion is very nice for food, 10 minutes walk from Halfpenny Green.

Another I've not been to for a while, but the Crab and Lobster, 10ish minutes walk from Bembridge.

G

Wander00
19th Aug 2014, 15:23
Dunkeswell has a pretty good restaurant with outside seating as well

Heliplane
19th Aug 2014, 15:28
My vote would be for the Dabbling Duck near Great Massingham.

RTN11
19th Aug 2014, 16:39
Compton Abbas is probably the best I've been to.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Aug 2014, 16:48
Oh yes, and of-course the Glenforsa hotel.

G

Andy H
19th Aug 2014, 16:57
Don't forget the restaurant at Old Sarum. Recently refurbished.

chevvron
19th Aug 2014, 19:26
Fairoaks; the 'Hangar Cafe' open 0800 - 1600 local. Very popular in the mornings with the local police and ambulance services.
About 20 - 25 min walk down the road is The Otter', a Harvester restaurant.
Several top class restaurants in Chobham village, about 3 - 5 min by taxi eg Bluebeckers and Stovills.

ShyTorque
19th Aug 2014, 19:39
Have you already tried Netherthorpe, EGNF?

Excellent food, thoroughly recommended. The short runway means you would need to check your landing and takeoff distances, but as it's very close to your area, you wouldn't need full tanks.

sapperkenno
19th Aug 2014, 19:41
Thank you all for replies so far. Panshanger definitely on the hit-list (as we have reciprocal) before it closes as I've only heard good things.

Was thinking Old Sarum (possibly Thruxton - but not had good reports about food there) as I used to fly around that part of the world as a student/tyro, so good to hear that's worth a visit.

Thanks again!

fireflybob
19th Aug 2014, 22:10
I would highly recommend Chocks Away at Nottingham (EGBN).

Chocks Away (http://www.chocksawaycafe.co.uk)

m5dnd
20th Aug 2014, 09:36
You could try Sleap .. open 7 days a week

sapperkenno
20th Aug 2014, 20:11
Visited Panshanger today. Delightful place, and the punters liked it too, which is the main thing! Will be a shame if/when it closes. The rather attractive girlie who welcomed us in, and everyone else there were very helpful and accommodating. I hope they get some good numbers for the aerobatic day next month.

Probably try for Compton Abbas and that neck of the woods next week, wx permitting. :-)

MKIII
20th Aug 2014, 20:31
Tollerton, Sywell, Netherthorpe all good. As is Rochester.

sharpend
20th Aug 2014, 21:28
One of the best is the DC6 Diner at Coventry. Brilliant, but best to book and closed Mon/Tue

Of course the Flying Pig at Turweston is also great.

flybymike
20th Aug 2014, 23:37
Gamston is the obvious close choice, but you probably knew that.

stevelup
21st Aug 2014, 09:57
Second that... Gamston.

Easily the nicest and best airfield restaurant in the country. Waiting times can be long when they are busy apparently, but you should be fine mid week.

Oldpilot55
21st Aug 2014, 10:07
Binham rarely appears in the listings but is excellent. The pub is about 200 metres from the farm where the strip is located. Quite excellent.

flybymike
21st Aug 2014, 10:08
Second that... Gamston.

Easily the nicest and best airfield restaurant in the country. Waiting times can be long when they are busy apparently, but you should be fine mid week.

And " the crumpet" is particularly tasty.

thing
22nd Aug 2014, 00:03
On site caffs and places with pubs I would recommend:

Halfpenny Green

Fenland

Nottingham

Kemble

Sleap

Conington

East Kirkby

Leicester

I'm assuming you probably fly from Sherburn so know about Gamston, Sandtoft etc.

Places with pubs nearby

Great Massingham

Croft Farm

Fadmoor

Crosland Moor

Kirkbride

There's Skeggy of course. Old Buck has a good caff but I don't think it opens till Thursday. Old Warden is well worth a visit, only about 500m but I get in and out three up in a 180hp 172 with bags of room to spare.

If you search for 'airfields with pubs nearby' there's a whole thread devoted to it.

GGR155
16th Aug 2015, 18:27
Every comment re Gamston is true! Check opening times as I once turned up having spent weeks bigging the place up for it to be closed that day. My fault entirely.
Kemble is also very good.
GGR

sunday driver
16th Aug 2015, 19:51
Oyster Box - 10 minute taxi ride from Jersey Aero Club
Great seafood, great service and great beach-side location.
Bit of a long way from you.

With regard to Thruxton, easy to find, nice friendly people. Good facilities, interesting aeroplanes lurking if you know where to look.
'Restaurant' is OK for a builder's breakfast, plus reasonable coffee and cake.

Old Sarum café is a bit better and with a good view of the comings and goings.

SD

Ellie Vater
16th Aug 2015, 20:45
Another vote for Sleap. The lock lounge cafe based there just keeps getting better and better.... Open 7 days a week, 9 till 5. They even have their own website to check the menu. Click here Home (http://www.lockloungecafe.co.uk)

Not Biggles
16th Aug 2015, 20:46
Halfpenny Green - Tea at the Green aka the Greasy Spoon. Says we close at 5.00 pm but anything after 3.30 and you are pushing it.
Shobdon also has a reputation for good food.
Enjoy.
Tony

Utterly
17th Aug 2015, 11:27
I see no one has mentioned Fishburn near Sedgefield. An excellent new licensed purpose built club house has just been opened on the field, closed Mondays but open rest of the week. Outside terrace and good food certainly worth a visit if you want to head North. Excellent coffee, food and Kosel larger (only for passengers of course!). Certainly worth a visit.

gowaz
19th Aug 2015, 03:40
SLEAP
EGCV
7 days a week. 9-5. full menu.
Cheap fuel.
hard runways.
great views and airspace easy.

fcornell
20th Oct 2015, 07:32
Try Verchoque--val du frene-----20 odd miles inland from Calais---a developing airpark-grass runway--exellent restaurant--makes a change from LT.
Details of the field on aerodelahaye. Drop in at Calais first for customs.
For a change from the restaurant at calais airport--the bus into calais from marc--every 15 mins--to the theatre--0ne euro-40 in a taxi-- just as fast --Try "au calice"---55 boulevard jacquard.

rej
20th Oct 2015, 13:44
Nottingham has a great small cafe that served great food with friendly smile as well.

Crusher1
4th Nov 2015, 12:45
Agree about Nottingham, nice food at a decent price, friendly staff and good views over the airfield.

Background Noise
4th Nov 2015, 13:51
East Kirkby has a cafe and the museum is worth a visit.

Flying in to East Kirkby - Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/flying-in-to-east-kirkby/)

Licence to Learn
4th Nov 2015, 15:29
Chocks Away Diner at Hawarden (EGNR) is right on site and has great views of the runway.

http://chocksawaydiner.co.uk/

Cusco
4th Nov 2015, 15:52
Leicester's nice: if you live through the overhead join:rolleyes:

rightbank
4th Nov 2015, 18:24
Probably a few good suggestions in this thread

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/413679-best-grass-airstrips-pubs-nearby.html

tmmorris
5th Nov 2015, 06:34
Leicester's nice: if you live through the overhead join:rolleyes:

Did you have a bad experience? I did (once, but I've been back and lived to tell the tale!)

On the other hand, Leicester was also the scene of a friend's last all day breakfast before his heart attack (not fatal, thankfully!) and a photo of his breakfast featured on Twitter as a result. I should add that the quality of the breakfast was never in question.

Sir George Cayley
6th Nov 2015, 20:14
I enjoyed a visit to the Pilot Hub at Redhill earlier this year. We arrived around lunchtime and sat out on decking overlooking the field.

I noticed they have a breakfast menu with one option called MTOW!

Another handy thing was being able to pay the landing fee when we settled up for teas various and chocolate cake loaded with calories.

I commend it to the house.

SGC

Natstrackalpha
10th Nov 2015, 20:08
The restaurant White Waltham was spot on for 3 meals/dy haven't been in yonks. Bit far off though.